Bills still have 7 major holes.

QB

WR2

RG

RT

OLB

MLB

CB3

Beane could fill all 7 by re-signing P. Brown, keeping the six picks in the top 100, and taking best available QB at #12. If he trades 12, 22, and 65 for a QB, we'll still have 2-3 major holes left. I'm not sure we have the money to address those remaining holes in FA.

Edited by The Bills Blog
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

RG - I’m sure they are fine with VLad or Miller.... but will still draft a guy for sure.

RT - Mills is still here, not the best. I’m really curious to see what Conor McDermott can do this year. I’m sure he’ll be Dawkins backup being Cordy and Henderson are gone. This will be that 4-5 round guy drafted

13 minutes ago, The Bills Blog said:

QB

WR2

RG

RT

OLB

MLB

CB3

Beane could fill all 7 by re-signing P. Brown, keeping the six picks in the top 100, and taking best available QB at #12. If he trades 12, 22, and 65 for a QB, we'll still have 2-3 major holes left. I'm not sure we have the money to address those remaining holes in FA.

I think Zay and Miller will surprise.  Preston is meh and I think draft is the answer for that spot.  I agree on the rest to varying extents and would add "depth" as another positional need.

While I agree that we have holes in all the areas you mentioned, not all holes are created equal. Some are not as big of holes as others and some are more important.

I don't buy the argument that we should put equal weight towards addressing each hole. If it takes trading away a few to successfully address another more impactful one then you do it.

Just now, ShadyBillsFan said:

sorry to bring bummer news 

once the books are adjusted, there will not be a lot of $ to get top paid FA's. 

Me thinks there is still a move or two to free up more cap space.

Plus it seems like there is still around $10m after there draft choices still left, no?

29 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

I figure they can still address WR2, CB3, or both in FA. 

I'm fine with their decision regarding pick 12. If they want to trade up, go for it, but my hunch is that one or two of the top 4 QBs will still be available at 12.

And draft picks from the lower rounds...You can still find good players in 4th and 5th rounds.

4 minutes ago, Magox said:

Plus it seems like there is still around $10m after there draft choices still left, no?

more than 10 million after rookie allocation, especially after Richie Cog's just re-did his deal to lower the cap hit this year 

There's always money in the banana stand...

To the OP's point - yea there are holes. We are coming from a talent devoid team of the past into the current FO vision, and Rome wasn't built in a day. Every team in the NFL has holes, and you have to live with not having great players at every spot. Trust The Process!

14 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

sorry to bring bummer news 

once the books are adjusted, there will not be a lot of $ to get top paid FA's. 

Uh what?

With all the new FA contracts on the books, including Lotulelei, the Bills have $26M left. Subtract around $5m for rookie contracts and the Bills have $21M left. That's a fair chunk of money.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/

Edited by Wayne Cubed

1 minute ago, PaattMaann said:

more than 10 million after rookie allocation, especially after Richie Cog's just re-did his deal to lower the cap hit this year 

There's always money in the banana stand...

To the OP's point - yea there are holes. We are coming from a talent devoid team of the past into the current FO vision, and Rome wasn't built in a day. Every team in the NFL has holes, and you have to live with not having great players at every spot. Trust The Process!

That's more than I thought and I hope that you are right 

And you are right, sometimes or for that matter often times you can't fix all your holes in one year. 

And yikes, I typed "there" rather than their.

2 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Uh what?

With all the new FA contracts on the books, including Lotulelei,the Bills have $26M left. Subtract around $5m for rookie contracts and the Bills have $21M left. Thats a fair chunk of money.

I don't see Murphy on that list

40 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

I figure they can still address WR2, CB3, or both in FA. 

I'm fine with their decision regarding pick 12. If they want to trade up, go for it, but my hunch is that one or two of the top 4 QBs will still be available at 12.

Who are WR2's on your radar?

I want a quick slot guy, fast off the break and gets open as a safety blanket. Deonte Thompson does not get open

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks

Just now, Wayne Cubed said:

I can't imagine his cap hit is more than $5M, considering what he's signed for. Also, not sure if that is updated with Cogs new number.

Still leaves more than $17M in cap space.

I don't think it will be that much, just mentioning that I don't believe they are accounting for his cap figure.

9 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Uh what?

With all the new FA contracts on the books, including Lotulelei, the Bills have $26M left. Subtract around $5m for rookie contracts and the Bills have $21M left. That's a fair chunk of money.

Doesnt look like that has kyle or murphys in yet, but also not richies restructure or money back from wood. Plus we can always restructure mccoy and hughes. Plenty of money to sign a couple more impact guys

2 minutes ago, Magox said:

I don't think it will be that much, just mentioning that I don't believe they are accounting for his cap figure.

Yea I don't think it'll be $5M either, but they have some of the details. I could be wrong but I thought Michael Ginnitti said on Murph yesterday that he thought when it's all said and done he believe's the Bills will have around $22M left.

1 hour ago, The Bills Blog said:

QB

WR2

RG

RT

OLB

MLB

CB3

Fair enough summation. 

And that's why:

1) We shouldn't expect the team to be great this year. It's unlikely. Their goal is - and should be - to build an organization that can consistently compete for championships.

2) There are many ways to fill holes. Expect many of those holes to be filled, but with low to medium-priced guys, journeymen. It's what financially conservative teams do. And it's the most consistent roadmap to competing for a title.

3) We have so many holes. We wouldn't have so many if they hadn't traded guys like Sammy and Cordy (who'd have looked mighty good across from Dawkins) and so on exactly to gain ammo for a tradeup. They created those holes because they knew we absolutely needed a QB and that there was only one effective way to maximize our chances of getting a good one.

Edited by Thurman#1

30 minutes ago, Magox said:

Not from what I can see.  Just shy of $10 mil for the rookie reserve and Yes, they need to do more magic. 

There are 3 contracts just signed that total around $21 mil for 2018 and the cap for the top 51 says $26,398,557 per spotrac.   There is a small savings with Richie restructuring. 

10 minutes ago, Pbomb said:

Doesnt look like that has kyle or murphys in yet, but also not richies restructure or money back from wood. Plus we can always restructure mccoy and hughes. Plenty of money to sign a couple more impact guys

Neither Cap site is current.   They must be too busy watching March Madness to update their sites.  

Edited by ShadyBillsFan