Casual Conversation

Below is what I look at when watching QB's and trying to figure out if they are NFL ready.

Just talking to you guys like I do when my friends and I talk face to face. Not saying this is the bible, just wanted to see what you all think.

Ranking of Top 4 consensus 2018 QB's and where I think they would stack up against our current Bills QBs

Really a tough call between #2 & #3, chose McCarron based mainly on heart, Darnold might be a little better reading defenses, otherwise really close

#1 Baker Mayfield
#2 AJ McCarren
#3 Sam Darnold
#4 Nathan Peterman
#5 Josh Allen
#6 Josh Rosen

1) Is he under pressure? without seeing a college qb under pressure, you cant guage how he will do in pros when he will assuredly be under pressure.
2) If he is underpressure can he avoid the rush with simple footwork (Dan Marino and that Brady character come to mind)
3) As soon as the ball is snapped figure out which direction he is throwing by saying to yourself quickly (right right right or left left left) if he proves you wrong with the actual throw then thats a plus column
4) If no pressure then, did he throw it acuaretly to hit the guy in stride or was it wide open receiver, or did the receiver have to hesitate his stride to make the catch
5) Heart, that is an Xfactor that I think is important (Seen Drew Brees pumping his team up pre-game and get jelous?) Thats the heart I covet but it doesn't mean everything
6) Toughness, gotta be a tough bassid no matter what

Glad that we all are on the upswing with this team, Happy for all you die hard kids that have known nothing but failure, real heart!  Trust the process, HELL YEAH!!!

Peace Brotha's

Everything I’ve read suggests that Rosen’s best attribute is he’s the most NFL-ready, while BM and (especially) JA might benefit from some time with the clipboard. If you rank BM ahead of AJ perhaps you should re-examine your criteria. 

Edited by Max Fischer

4 hours ago, Billsfanatixs said:

Really a tough call between #2 & #3, chose McCarron based mainly on heart, Darnold might be a little better reading defenses, otherwise really close

#1 Baker Mayfield
#2 AJ McCarren
#3 Sam Darnold
#4 Nathan Peterman
#5 Josh Allen
#6 Josh Rosen

I can't understand how anyone, anywhere, would believe that a kid coming from college, who has NEVER seen an NFL defense, can be better at reading defenses than someone who has been in the NFL for a few years, in the QB room, working with NFL offensive quarterbacks and QB coaches. And I am not necessarily talking about AJMac here, could be any good backup that has spent years in the NFL. 

I can understand more physical talent, better measurables, better character, throws tighter spiral, more accurate, etc. But being better at reading defenses? Based on what? Shredding those awesome PAC 12 defenses he saw week in and week out? 

Look at it another way, while Mayfield, Darnold, Rosen, (heck any college QB) were out chasing girls, studying for finals, going to keg parties, all while being limited to a few hours a week of actual practice/ film time, These NFL backups were studying NFL defenses for a living. All day, everyday. t is their job. How can they not be better at knowing exactly where each defender is going to be in a complex NFL defensive scheme?

I guess that's my own ignorance to the NFL game. In college ball, it is very rare for a true freshman qb to have a better mental grasp of the game than a seasoned veteran. The game is just so much more complicated than high school ball. I guess I just assumed  it was the same with the NFL, but the last couple years it seems teams are salivating over theses college guys like (RGIII, Manziel, semian, kizer, and on and on) and throwing these guys to the wolves before giving them a chance to develop and learn.

4 hours ago, Billsfanatixs said:

Below is what I look at when watching QB's and trying to figure out if they are NFL ready.

Just talking to you guys like I do when my friends and I talk face to face. Not saying this is the bible, just wanted to see what you all think.

Ranking of Top 4 consensus 2018 QB's and where I think they would stack up against our current Bills QBs

#1 Baker Mayfield
#2 AJ McCarren
#3 Sam Darnold
#4 Nathan Peterman
#5 Josh Allen
#6 Josh Rosen

1) Is he under pressure? without seeing a college qb under pressure, you cant guage how he will do in pros when he will assuredly be under pressure.
2) If he is underpressure can he avoid the rush with simple footwork (Dan Marino and that Brady character come to mind)
3) As soon as the ball is snapped figure out which direction he is throwing by saying to yourself quickly (right right right or left left left) if he proves you wrong with the actual throw then thats a plus column
4) If no pressure then, did he throw it acuaretly to hit the guy in stride or was it wide open receiver, or did the receiver have to hesitate his stride to make the catch
5) Heart, that is an Xfactor that I think is important (Seen Drew Brees pumping his team up pre-game and get jelous?) Thats the heart I covet but it doesn't mean everything
6) Toughness, gotta be a tough bassid no matter what

Glad that we all are on the upswing with this team, Happy for all you die hard kids that have known nothing but failure, real heart!  Trust the process, HELL YEAH!!!

Peace Brotha's

Based on some of your higher priorities, it is strange you don't include one of the players lauded for his work under pressure - Mason Rudolph. When I listen to multiple sources (Waldman, for example), he is a fast processor. His footwork within the pocket is considered very good by some. He certainly made the most of plays when he was under pressure, at least by some accounts.

Did you even look at him, or just work with the commonly accepted beliefs? Curious. 

2 hours ago, Max Fischer said:

Everything I’ve read suggests that Rosen’s best attribute is he’s the most NFL-ready, while BM and (especially) JA might benefit from some time with the clipboard. If you rank BM ahead of AJ perhaps you should re-examine your criteria. 

I have seen very little of these guys, and I haven't studied anything written about them, but I agree about Rosen.   The times I've watched him I've been really impressed with his poise and quick release.   He looks to me like he really understands what's going on on the field, as it happens, and adjusts to it.   My problem with him is his size.   I think he's going to get snapped like a twig in the NFL.

Mayfield is the other one I've seen with that kind of poise.   Mayfield gets things done.  

There is not a guy I'm sold on.  Five years from now Cousins might still be the best of all of them.  But any of the four rookies has the potential to be a star, each for different reasons.