Upcoming QB competition

18 minutes ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

I disagree. And I can assure you that I’m not “disgruntled” or “negative”. I’m not sure how my post would reflect that but that’s kinda weird...

I may have left the disgruntled line in there from another quoted post that I deleted in the reply. I was working on a Kingrex reply as well and just gave up as I deemed unworth my time. Think I may have confused and combined some stuff in this one and then lost track and didn't bother ot proof read

However YES there will be a competition how in the world could there not be, why would there not be?

Edited by ddaryl
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, KingRex said:

However, though they deserve the benefit of the doubt in terms of any challenges the TEAM faces, we should not hide from the fact that (1) a major factual problem this TEAM and the current braintrust has is that we simply suck at training and evaluating QB talent.

FACT 1 is that McD and the braintrust deserve a ton of credit for our TEAM ending the playoff drought!  However, (2) we simply suck at training QBs building an O that most effectively uses the talents of the QB we have and developing an O that succeeds.

FACT 2 the Bills braintrust made a very good move in getting past our previous QB errors and instead successfully making the playoffs under the leadership of Tyrod.  Say what you want, this is simply what happened.  However, this happened despite the braintrust doing everything they could to try to not go with Tyrod.  TT deserves a ton of credit for not only doing the things that he does well to produce  enough Ws to make the playoffs (he deserves tons of credit for demonstrating extraordinary escapability behind a very troubled OL and he frustrated a lot of folks by never risking depending on our receivers to fight for (and simply living with the fact in some cases they would lose the fight) and sometimes lose the fight. (3) As frustrating as it was that TT rarely seemed to just go for it, in the end he generally did not turn the ball over and really one of the primary determinants of who wins and who loses is who turned the ball over the least.

McD deserves a ton of credit for leading a TEAM that ended the playoff drought. (4) However, that being said McD simply screwed up in abandoning TT and instead relying on a 5th round drafted rookie Peterman to lead us to playoff glory.  this was simply a football stupid move that relied on some unprecedented things to occur (I mean, oh please, even in the case of Tom Brady, this 6th round pick needed a year of sitting on the bench before he proved playoff ready.  Even further, Bill Belicheat only went to Brady when he was forced to by a Jets tackle of Bledsoe that collapsed his lung.  Abd even still despite Brady turning out to be one of the best QBs ever, he pub;licly gives Bledsoe tons of credit for acting as another coach to help Brady develop as a second year player (again like it or not in 2001-2 AFC championship game it was Bledsoe who played an essential role in coming of the bench with NE losing when Brady got hurt and he threw the game winning TD in their run to their first SB win.

(5) McD and the braintrust for some reason decided to start Peterman in a game against the Chargers.  McD made the football stupid judgment that Peterman would produce results better than Brady.  Right.. sure.

Just a few counter points the highlighted "facts"

(1) Based on what, their handling of Tylor? Tylor may be a nice guy, but he very well may be a flawed QB. McDermott didn't pick him, he inherited him. Could last year be indicative of the coaching staff trying to make chicken salad out of chicken manure? Time will tell, Tylor may flourish in Cleveland (IMHO they have better talent on offense than we had last year), and he may be mediocre next year, performance is the fact ... not our opinion.

(2) For half of my counterpoint see #1. For the other half ... You expected the offense to be built in one off season??? really??? I honestly believe the plan was to get rid of the under performers/malcontents/people who didn't fit the program year 1, and start rebuilding the team in earnest year 2. IMHO, that even though we weren't tanking, the team performed beyond expectations, and with the help of the football gods ended up in the playoffs. To see if the brain trust can develop a team we are going to have to wait another year or two or three and compare their performance to the Bills of the last 17 years.

(3) If a QB never throws a pass he will NEVER turn the ball over ... do you really think that is the path to success? The Bills biggest problem was other teams knew going in if they forced Tylor to be a pure QB, chances were high we were going to only score a field goal or two (and that was because "House money" was deadly at 50+ yards).

(4) Did McDermott REALLY abandon Tylor, or did Tylor play himself to the bench??? Review Tylor's performance for the three games prior to his "abandonment". I do agree however that having to rely on Peterman was a sad state of affairs, but at that point he had to chose between a bad QB and an unknown ... after the Charger game he had to then chose between a bad QB and a horrendous QB ... he made the right choice, but that STILL doesn't make Tylor a good QB ... just better than Peterman at this point in their careers.

(5) For half my counterpoint see #4. For the other half ... McDermott never made the judgement that Peterman would produce results better than Brady ... he took a gamble that Peterman could produce results better than Tylor ... ya win some, ya lose some

5 hours ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

That's sounds awful. Just start the rook lol

Just start the rook?  That is a whole 'nother meaning to FANTASY football.

The folks here who have already discounted AJ as well as Peterman, YOU will be the first to call for the head of said "rook".

You folks don't seem to understand PROCESS (not to be confused with "the process").

FCOL

24 minutes ago, cd1 said:

Just start the rook?  That is a whole 'nother meaning to FANTASY football.

The folks here who have already discounted AJ as well as Peterman, YOU will be the first to call for the head of said "rook".

You folks don't seem to understand PROCESS (not to be confused with "the process").

FCOL

wtf are you talking about, I'm saying let's just play our best QB, most likely the top 5 overall QB we end up with if we're really trading up for QB.

7 hours ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

I don’t think it’s going to be any kind of competition. McCarron will start until the fans get restless and start calling for his head. Then the rookie will get thrown in. Peterman will be the third QB

I really hope Coach McBean is not making decisions based on what fans want. Especially TBD fans.

Ok so it's a battle between the Bengals backup that signed for peanuts. 5 pick Peterman and some one that hasn't been drafted yet. This should get interesting! 

I'm still very much on board the plan but the team is leaning very hard on that drafted QB being really good. At least that is the way it looks, like they all in on a drafted QB.

Edited by Lfod

1 hour ago, reddogblitz said:

I really hope Coach McBean is not making decisions based on what fans want. Especially TBD fans.

Me too. That would be real bad. Especially fans whose screen names begin with the letter “R”. That would be terrible. What awful decisions those posters would make