Upcoming QB competition

I usually almost puke every offseason when we have a QB competition. It's been the code words for saying "still in QB purgatory". When McD said it would be an open comp for every spot last year, I knew the first year coach wasn't looking for a real  comp at QB. However, this is the first time I can't wait for one! Looking forward to going to camp a few more days than usual to watch it.

Without knowing who the rookie will be, and guessing they give Nate (on paper) a shot, it's going to be interesting. I haven't been a fan of Baker simply because of my bias towards wanting a traditional taller pocket guy, but I think his personality would make this comp very exciting. 

We are finally headed in the right direction behind center (speaking of center...no...not gonna hjack my own thread). AJ vs ________ vs Nate. Can AJ prove he's the guy who started a few in 2015? Can the rookie prove to be undeniably a day 1 starter? Can Nate even make the team? Can't wait!

40 minutes ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

I don’t think it’s going to be any kind of competition. McCarron will start until the fans get restless and start calling for his head. Then the rookie will get thrown in. Peterman will be the third QB

This is kind of how I feel. It is McCarron until the rookie is ready (anywhere from week 1 to year 2). Peterman’s spot on the roster is probably tied to how far along the rookie is at final cuts. If the rookie isn’t ready to be at least the number 2, Peterman makes the team. 

This really isn’t going to be a QB battle.

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This is kind of how I feel. It is McCarron until the rookie is ready (anywhere from week 1 to year 2). Peterman’s spot on the roster is probably tied to how far along the rookie is at final cuts. If the rookie isn’t ready to be at least the number 2, Peterman makes the team. 

This really isn’t going to be a QB battle.

I think if we start out 0-3 and McCarron is putting up some pedestrian numbers, we’ll see the rookie. 

1 hour ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

I don’t think it’s going to be any kind of competition. McCarron will start until the fans get restless and start calling for his head. Then the rookie will get thrown in. Peterman will be the third QB

That's sounds awful. Just start the rook lol

11 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

And if AJ comes in and absolutely slings it all over the field?

I, too, am excited to see him. I can’t be excited about an unknown rookie.

1 minute ago, nuklz2594 said:

what if mccarron plays lights out?  sign him to an extension?

I think that if he plays well it will be a bonus. The guy has averaged 184 yards passing in his starts and is .500. He is getting paid $5M. If he becomes a good player it’s found money. He is a fine option as a bridge guy with some upside. At the same time the Bills are going up to get an elite prospect. They aren’t going to miss that chance because of AJ McCarron.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

I don't think I agree .... McDermott has been big since day 1 about earning your right to compete. I think if the intention was to have that so called "bridge QB" the Bills would have gone after a vet with more playing experience. McDermott has never shied away from making a decision, right or wrong (starting Peterman in LA as a case in point) then living with the consequences and adjusting after the fact as necessary.

That's what I like about this front office, they make a decision based on what they feel is best for the team ... then it's full steam ahead, damn the torpedoes. They are not one bit whishy washy about their decisions, and if the outcome isn't what they anticipated, there are no apologies, no CYA statements to the press, no press conference double talk ... it's just I made a decision that I thought was best for the team, it didn't work out as anticipated so it's on to our next game with "plan B".

I find that approach so much more refreshing than staying with the status quo and hearing in the post game press conference .... "well it's hard to win in the NFL" ... or ... "the game plan was good, the guys just didn't execute" ... or ... "my system is great, we just don't have the players who fit it".

The way I see it playing out is Peterman, McCarron, and a QB to be named later compete to start ... prior to game #1 the coaching staff will take all of the performances into account, and make their decision on who takes this team into the future.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Depends on what rookie is drafted. Allen will by no means be ready year one so all this excitement for a QB battle this preseason could end up a nothingburger till next season at earliest. I really hope Allen/Jackson is not the target, Allen is a bust and Jackson running with those skrony legs really takes the excitement out of it all IMO

Edited by xRUSHx

2 hours ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

That is clearly not happening.

Not to say the rookie won't start, but it won't be handed to him. AJM would not have signed unless he was assured of a true competition. The staff might even be more likely to let him sit a year depending on who they land.

4 hours ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

This!  End of thread.

Ideal situation is controversy. McCarron plays well. We win a decent amount, make the playoffs again. Next year the QB we drafted in the 2018 first-round is ready to go, but do we really move away from McCarron? Yes, trading him in Week Four to an NFC team for a 2020 first-round pick. The now 2nd year QB leads us to Super Bowl victory. The end.

I believe our QB outcome will be largely decided by how/if they address that festering wound called the right side of our line. Dawkins, Richie, and Groy will be solid. I am concerned about Richie staying healthy this season and injuries just happen sometimes so who is going to swing plays in there as well. If they do not comprehensively address the right side of our line, we could very well see 3 different starting QB's this season. If Miller ends up taking back guard does that mean Ducasse is going to swing in the middle? (eek) Same thing with Mills.  I would love to see an upgrade there, if they find one does that mean Mills will swing? (double eek)

If they can put together a workable plan on our offensive line I would not be surprised to see AJ hold onto the job for the season. If we draft anyone other than Rosen or Mayfield that should probably be the plan anyway.

Losing Tyrod's mobility makes this even more critical this season.

Edited by simool

It will truly be a QB competition, between the rookie and AJ. AJ will get every opportunity to start, and depending on who the rookie is, so will he. If its a pro-ready guy, it'll be close. If its Josh Allen, likely we get a full season of AJ. 

AJ Chose the Bills because he saw it as his best opportunity to "just play ball". He doesn't want to sit, and he knows he will get a chance here if he plays well. 

As long as we get the rookie, this is a great upward looking QB situation (finally!)

10 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I think that if he plays well it will be a bonus. The guy has averaged 184 yards passing in his starts and is .500. He is getting paid $5M. If he becomes a good player it’s found money. He is a fine option as a bridge guy with some upside. At the same time the Bills are going up to get an elite prospect. They aren’t going to miss that chance because of AJ McCarron.

This does highlight one of the Bills clear area's of past incompetent performance where our likely roster demands we improve if we wanna compete and win and there is no rational reason to assume or even hope there is a good chance we will improve. 

Specifically, the area of weak past performance is "how well do we train young QBs"?

To date, McD and Beane deserve a huge amount of credit for the results "The Process" has provided.  The great FACT is that they led a team that ended a 17 year playoff drought!  Say whatever you want, but it is more than reasonable to give them the benefit of the doubt about any area they prove to simply be human as like it or not no mone should be demanded that they are perfect in everything they try to do.

However, though they deserve the benefit of the doubt in terms of any challenges the TEAM faces, we should not hide from the fact that a major factual problem this TEAM and the current braintrust has is that we simply suck at training and evaluating QB talent.

FACT 1 is that McD and the braintrust deserve a ton of credit for our TEAM ending the playoff drought!  However, we simply suck at training QBs building an O that most effectively uses the talents of the QB we have and developing an O that succeeds.

FACT 2 the Bills braintrust made a very good move in getting past our previous QB errors and instead successfully making the playoffs under the leadership of Tyrod.  Say what you want, this is simply what happened.  However, this happened despite the braintrust doing everything they could to try to not go with Tyrod.  TT deserves a ton of credit for not only doing the things that he does well to produce  enough Ws to make the playoffs (he deserves tons of credit for demonstrating extraordinary escapability behind a very troubled OL and he frustrated a lot of folks by never risking depending on our receivers to fight for (and simply living with the fact in some cases they would lose the fight) and sometimes lose the fight.  As frustrating as it was that TT rarely seemed to just go for it, in the end he generally did not turn the ball over and really one of the primary determinants of who wins and who loses is who turned the ball over the least.

McD deserves a ton of credit for leading a TEAM that ended the playoff driought.  However, that being said McD simply screwed up in abandoning TT and instead relying on a 5th round drafted rookie Peterman to lead us to playoff glory.  this was simply a football stupid move that relied on some unprecedented things to occur (I mean, oh please, even in the case of Tom Brady, this 6th round pick needed a year of sitting on the bench before he proved playoff ready.  Even further, Bill Belicheat only went to Brady when he was forced to by a Jets tackle of Bledsoe that collapsed his lung.  Abd even still despite Brady turning out to be one of the best QBs ever, he pub;licly gives Bledsoe tons of credit for acting as another coach to help Brady develop as a second year player (again like it or not in 2001-2 AFC championship game it was Bledsoe who played an essential role in coming of the bench with NE losing when Brady got hurt and he threw the game winning TD in their run to their first SB win.

McD and the braintrust for some reason decided to start Peterman in a game against the Chargers.  McD made the football stupid judgment that Peterman would produce results better than Brady.  Right.. sure.

The good news is that despite this stupidity TT rather than go into a funk like many prima donnas, simply kept his eye on the prize and led his TEAM to the playoffs.  McD/Beane have been great but it is no surprise they got rid off TT as his play simply reminded bus of a stupid thing the braintrust did in the face of their great leadership of the TEAM.

One of the primary challenges facing our Bills in 2018 is that this squad will need to train up either the rookie QB picked in the draft, Or the young AJ McCarron (who again like it or not does have the benefit of having been a pro for 3 years, but actually has a pretty limited resume as a productive winner, Or we hope that McD's poor handling of the development of Peterman has not simply ruined a talented young athlete.

I'll give our braintrust the benefit of the doubt, but their on a pretty short leash for demonstrating mere competence at implementing a successful O and traing young QBs

5 hours ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

Thisat seemed like another disgruntled negative Bills fans rant

Of course there will be a training camp preseason competition with a tie probably leaning AJ's way short term.

As for fans getting restless...   If the offense is sputtering and were seeing little production from the QB, or the offense is in desperate nee dof a jolt, then and only then will there be a switch of QB's mid-season. Same reason why they gave Peterman a shot last season. TT wasn't getting it done and the team needed more production from the offfense in general, with the added benefit of guaging Peterman as a QB

9 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

Thisat seemed like another disgruntled negative Bills fans rant

Of course there will be a training camp preseason competition with a tie probably leaning AJ's way short term.

As for fans getting restless...   If the offense is sputtering and were seeing little production from the QB, or the offense is in desperate nee dof a jolt, then and only then will there be a switch of QB's mid-season. Same reason why they gave Peterman a shot last season. TT wasn't getting it done and the team needed more production from the offfense in general, with the added benefit of guaging Peterman as a QB

I disagree. And I can assure you that I’m not “disgruntled” or “negative”. I’m not sure how my post would reflect that but that’s kinda weird...