Is Jerry Hughes worth a swap of ones with Tampa Bay?

njbuff

Just now, dave mcbride said:

I'm worried about the Jets too.

Think about it in the perspective of the teams we are trading with & how far back they want to slide and the players that will be off the board. If we had a QB and were in #2 or #3; I would want to slide back to 6 or 7 and if the QB run was still happening during the draft, I would slide down a hair more if my guys were still there. If not, you bet I wouldn't trade and grab my guy....

I'm also not convinced that Denver is willing to pass on a QB at 5 either. Our best bet is to move to #3 if 12+22+53/56 or 65. if we can't do that, I really think we may have to move to 7. I would think that all options should be on the board...

Guys, those who are pro Hughes......... my take is you have to give up something to get something.

And to those who think the Bucs won't even bother..................... the Bengals took on an injured aging LT for the Bills to move up 9 spots. Hughes is about the same age as Glenn, without the injuries and I am advocating for the Bills to move up 5 spots by trading the Bucs Hughes.

I understand both sides of the argument. Mine is, you have to give up something to get something.

8 hours ago, Estro said:

Precisely.  #22 and #7 is actually a little more valuable than the 3rd pick, so maybe the Colts give you their 4th or 5th back.

The point being the Bills wouldn't have to touch any picks next year, or any of their multiple 2nd or 3rd round picks this yr.  That's 4 picks in rounds 2 and 3 to find quality starters on CHEAP 4 yr rookie deals.  This is how smart teams build rosters.

Exactly! Moving to 7 would just be the stepping stone to 2/3. Hughes will be 30 and he's diminishing returns. I want sacks, not pressures. Freeing up some cap space would help also. I see Murphy & Odiggy being our starting DE's anyway. Thanks Jerry for your efforts but the process continues.....

2 hours ago, blacklabel said:

Either way, McD is big on having plenty of DL for his rotations. DL is a major point of emphasis for this team going forward. Trading away one or both of your top two DEs doesn't make a whole lot of sense especially after they just went and paid good money for a big, space-eating DT that should help DEs get more 1-on-1 opportunities. 

C'm on man,  this is McD.

He literally fielded a team without a top 70 quality NFL receiver for the first half of the season and 3 of his 4 regular DT's post-Dareus ended up ranking in the 100's in terms of NFL DT productivity..........like it or not, he is not afraid to put bad football players on the field if he can't have talented ones that live the process.     We know about the ship Rex ran but I'd also guess that life at Club Dabo was a bit less structured for the Shaqster.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

The Jets are not trading up.  They are not signing McCown, Bridgewater and then trading up giving up assets for a guy there will be pressure to start almost immediately.  I don't rule them out of taking whoever is there at #6 still, but I think more likely the Jets are going the take another shot at a 2nd round guy.... Rudolph if he falls there or Mike White. 

46 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The Jets are not trading up.  They are not signing McCown, Bridgewater and then trading up giving up assets for a guy there will be pressure to start almost immediately.  I don't rule them out of taking whoever is there at #6 still, but I think more likely the Jets are going the take another shot at a 2nd round guy.... Rudolph if he falls there or Mike White. 

I really hope you're right. Neither of their qbs have anything close to long term contracts, however,  and this is a great draft for the position. We shall see.

56 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

9 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I really hope you're right. Neither of their qbs have anything close to long term contracts, however,  and this is a great draft for the position. We shall see.

Me too.

I'd be pissed as a Jets fan if they sat tight and ended up with yet another second tier prospect...........that fanbase has been in tank-for-a-QB mode for the past 14 months.

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Me too.

I'd be pissed as a Jets fan if they sat tight and ended up with yet another second tier prospect...........that fanbase has been in tank-for-a-QB mode for the past 14 months.

They have five QBs on their roster now, although the fifth is a nobody. After having to carry four last year and three the entire season, I'm not sure they are going to do that again. I doubt they are signing Bridgewater and then making him inactive, or Darnold/Allen/Rosen inactive.

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

They have five QBs on their roster now, although the fifth is a nobody. After having to carry four last year and three the entire season, I'm not sure they are going to do that again. I doubt they are signing Bridgewater and then making him inactive, or Darnold/Allen/Rosen inactive.

I'd like to see them draft Rudolph at #6.     Imagine the Ken O'Brien selection but with social media.

6 hours ago, NewEra said:

Do you watch the games?  

How did he do last year?

6 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

LOL! You're scared of the Jets? They just signed two QB's, one of whom is their franchise QB.

Edited by mileena

19 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Um ...

On 3/16/2018 at 6:36 AM, jr1 said:

I don't see anyone wanting  Hughes' salary and him being a flag magnet

He had 6 flags this year. 29 defensive ends had at least 4 flags this year. He wasn't even top 5 for flags for his own position. If we are talking the entire league, he's not even in the top 50 for flags. 

Can we stop with the fake news.

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Yep. About as wrong as it is possible to be. Looks like it is #2 or bust for the Bills. 

This idea makes sense if you can get to seven, then jump to 2. Giants can still get Nelson at 7. Tampa was probably hoping Chubb fell to them if the Colts traded back. Now that the Colts are at six, Tampa isn't getting Chubb. They could trade down to 12 and get Davenport. 

Someone earlier summed this up well - why would TB want a 30 year old highly paid pass rusher who had 4 sacks last season?

Now, I’m not saying that Hughes couldn’t have a more productive year in 2018, but I don’t think TB would trade anything of value to take that gamble.