Is Jerry Hughes worth a swap of ones with Tampa Bay?

njbuff

Moving up from #12 to #7 is worth 300 points on the infamous draft value trade chart.  That 300 point value is equivalent to pick #60 in the draft, so a late 2nd rounder.  That might be what I'd consider a fair value for Hughes, a good player.  If he's not in the Bills long term plans, which after the signing of Trent Murphy, could be a possibility, I'd be okay with this trade.  Another way to inch up in the draft without having to touch a draft pick. 

Keep in mind, Jerry Hughes cap hit for '18 is $10.4M, and by trading him pre June 1st we'd incur a $5.8M dead cap hit.  So we'd save $4.6M against the cap in '18.........which might be enough cap space to wiggle in 1 more FA like Preston Brown or E.J. Gaines.

I think what I like the most about this scenario, though is getting up to #7 without having to touch any of our draft pick ammo, which we have a lot of.  That means the Bills could ship #7 & #22 to the Colts for picks #3 and their 4th rounder, #103.  That would leave the Bills with both of their 2nd rounders & both 3rd rounders (not to mention 2 4th rounders if we pulled off the trade I mentioned above) so they could start building this roster with some quality rooks.

Yea.......I guess I've talked myself into it....I really like the idea of shipping Hughes to the Bucs to move up from #12 to #7.  ? is would the Bucs make such a move?

It's fun to think about.

You know something we don't or are you just draft fantasizin'?

Edited by Estro
  • Like (+1) 4

I'm in the minority who like Hughes... but If I was told Tampa would do it, and that we could parlay Tampa's pick into the top 3... I'd do it. 

As Estro pointed out, with the chart, Hughes for a late 2nd... That's great value given the way trades work in the NFL when it comes to players. I feel like players always get undervalued and I've been impressed with how Beane has done with the two trades so far this off season. So if he can make it work, I wouldn't be one to criticize it. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

The Bucs had 22 sacks last season.

I know the Bills didn't light it up either.

But without getting into Symantecs, is this doable or not?

Thoughts?

Think of yourself as the GM of the Bucs and Gm Beane offered you Jerry Hughes along with a lesser draft pick, is a 29 year old, costing 10.4M to my team, who only had 44 tackles and 4 sacks last season and is going on 4 years removed from a double digit sack season worth it? The answer will always be .... no.... imo. 

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

The Bucs had 22 sacks last season.

I know the Bills didn't light it up either.

But without getting into Symantecs, is this doable or not?

Thoughts?

Maybe but only if it is #22 for #7........lol

I think we'd have to sweeten the deal a little, but if Tampa's willing to do it then heck yes.  If this happens fans have to keep in mind that within the last year we lost Watkins, Darby, Dareus, Glenn, Wood, Tyrod, and possibly Hughes along with Incognito.  We're in the rebuilding process despite last years playoff birth and we should be prepared for a sub par season next year. 

Hughes is easily the most underrated player on the team. He's easily the only guy who plays 100% every play, including the great Kyle. He's equally good against the run and pass. He is the only player that goes sideline to sideline. He sometimes rushes the passer and then makes the tackle 8 yards downfield on a WR. He's the only player who consistently tries to both make the sack or tackle AND cause a turnover without sacrificing the tackle. There is not a player on either side of the ball that tries harder than Hughes from snap to whistle. It's not even close.

• Like (+1) 9
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I can't help but laugh at the posts saying Hughes is no good. He is the best DL on our roster and it's not even close. I just hope Beane and McD are smarter than that. Still, if it's the only way to get one of the top 4 QB's, then I guess I could live with being dead last in sacks or close to it for another year. I also think having Murphy on the other end of the DL will help him a lot. Other teams won't be able to focus as much attention on him.

27 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Hughes is easily the most underrated player on the team. He's easily the only guy who plays 100% every play, including the great Kyle. He's equally good against the run and pass. He is the only player that goes sideline to sideline. He sometimes rushes the passer and then makes the tackle 8 yards downfield on a WR. He's the only player who consistently tries to both make the sack or tackle AND cause a turnover without sacrificing the tackle. There is not a player on either side of the ball that tries harder than Hughes from snap to whistle. It's not even close.

Good points. He's been really good vs the run as well. Lots of hustle.

Edited by GreggTX
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

I think we'd have to sweeten the deal a little, but if Tampa's willing to do it then heck yes.  If this happens fans have to keep in mind that within the last year we lost Watkins, Darby, Dareus, Glenn, Wood, Tyrod, and possibly Hughes along with Incognito.  We're in the rebuilding process despite last years playoff birth and we should be prepared for a sub par season next year. 

We also replaced those folks with  Micah Hyde, Poyer,  Kelvin Benjamin who are quality starters in the NFL.  Not to speak of the draft capital this team has assembled.   If AJ can play at the level of Tyrod then there will be not much difference between last years team vs this year. 

Do remember from your list, our team DID make the playoff,  without  Watkins, Darby, and Dareus.

30 minutes ago, JimKellyTryouts said:

No, it's absolutely pointless to move up yet still stay behind the Broncos and Jets, who will more than likely be looking for a QB like us. 

Good point that it's strategically less valuable because we don't move ahead of any direct competitors.

But it would not be absolutely pointless. It would probably make our compensation package more desireable for the team we want to trade with.

Still, saying that, I think it's unlikely. Hughes will turn 30 in August. He'll probably have another 2 to 3 good years. And he's our only real pass rush threat right now other than Murphy if he turns out well. That's not what we want to be trading away unless we absolutely had to. He's a good player, he fits the scheme and we would only save $1.5 mill against the cap this year and next year is his last contract year so we wouldn't save a lot there either. He's worth what we pay him.

I seriously doubt it.

I get the idea of moving up one more time to be in a better position to get into the top 5 but I think this is a bit of a trade happy idea. You don't trade away a piece and create another hole without being able to replace it. The Bills traded Glenn because they have Dawkins to replace him. The Bills traded away Taylor because they are going to draft his replacement with the first pick.

Both the FA market and the draft are not rich with DE talent like Hughes. Also, a DE combo of Lawson and Murphy, who is coming of an ACL tear, is less than desirable and is going to scare no team. The Bills have no idea what they'll get from Murphy and we know Lawson doesn't give the Bills much in terms of QB pressure.

• Like (+1) 1