Bills Have a Standing Offer for LB Preston Brown

sven233

From all accounts he is a good guy who is valued in the locker room. Fine. If you guys are okay with being mediocre, give him a 3 year 22 million $ contract with 16 million guaranteed. 

Then don't complain when our defense is getting lacerated and we can't beat the Patriots.

Don't be committed to mediocrity. Preston will be the new Chris Kelsay that we complain about and joke about how he brings his lunch pail. Lunchpail ain't winning the Super Bowl guys. You need talent. 

16 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Fine but you don't play high quality depth six million. It's lunacy. It's Chris Kelsay guys. It's a commitment to mediocrity. 

$5-7M isnt that much in today's NFL. It is what your "high-quality depth" guys make. The starters are more in the $10M+ range, and to that, Brown is a starter.

It's just a matter of relativity. Seems like a lot of money for a backup, but there is a lot of money in the NFL.

All that said, I'd rather not pay Preston Brown anything. He's dead to me.

Edited by DrDawkinstein

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I'm very confused by this post.

Brown isn't a depth player.  He's a quality starter and will make starter money.

Ducasse/Thorton are depth players and they make depth player salaries.

He is not a quality starter. He is a mediocre 2 down linebacker. People are arguing we should bring him back and if continues to suck he could become depth. 

Go back and read this entire thread. People are all over the place on his value and it doesn't make any sense. 

I'm getting all hot and bothered lol

3 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

$5-7M isnt that much in today's NFL. It is what your "high-quality depth" guys make. The starters are more in the $10M+ range, and to that, Brown is a starter.

It's just a matter of relativity. Seems like a lot of money for a backup, but there is a lot of money in the NFL.

All that said, I'd rather not pay Preston Brown anything. He's dead to me.

That is overvaluing high quality depth. Look at the salaries for inside linebackers and you will see. 

He is dead to me as well. The Pats don't want him because they know he can't cover. They'd rather he come back to us so they can take advantage of his speed. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown

5 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

That is overvaluing high quality depth. Look at the salaries for inside linebackers and you will see. 

He is dead to me as well. The Pats don't want him because they know he can't cover. They'd rather he come back to us so they can take advantage of his speed. 

Good point, here's a list of ILB salaries: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/contracts/inside-linebacker/

Brown is certainly no Danny Trevathan, he's not even a Zach Brown. I hope our offer to him is no more than 2yrs/$8M, with incentives that could take it up to $10-12M.

I also hope he doesnt take it and goes somewhere else.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

He is not a quality starter. He is a mediocre 2 down linebacker. People are arguing we should bring him back and if continues to suck he could become depth. 

Go back and read this entire thread. People are all over the place on his value and it doesn't make any sense. 

I'm getting all hot and bothered lol

If he isn't a quality starter and "continues to suck" then McDermott has already made a mistake to offer him anything.  If he accepts our deal, he becomes our starting MLB and McDermott has hurt our defense.

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

If he isn't a quality starter and "continues to suck" then McDermott has already made a mistake to offer him anything.  If he accepts our deal, he becomes our starting MLB and McDermott has hurt our defense.

Agreed. That's why I'm guessing it is a lowball offer to come back as a part time player out of respect. 

I look at Preston analogously to TT.  You know that TT is only going to take you so far and give you so much and that you can only do so much with him offensively so you as a coach get limited.  To me, it's the same with Brown but on the other side of the football.  The limitations are just too much.  He's a two-down player.  This is undeniable yet because we didn't have the depth he had to play and McD did everything he could to keep him out of coverage.  Ramon Humber was the same way.  When we were in Nickel subpackages the Patriots destroyed us by going empty and forcing both Brown and Humber to cover and even when they had zone assignments they still gave up plays in their area because they don't have the twitchiness to make a tackle once a guy gets going.  I honestly do not want Preston or Humber back.  If we do not have the capital to draft other guys and are forced to bring them back then I guess but I won't be happy about it.

I'll just say it this way.  McD ran his defense with less than ideal players in the front 7 and the secondary did a great job.  The run defense and the pass rush were bad.  Imagine what he could do with a good linebacker group.  The DL is stacked at the end position, we just need one more DT.  If we could get an athletic linebacker in round 2 like South Carolina State's Darius Leonard I'd be thrilled.  I think Vander Esch might climb and find himself in rd 1 but if not he'd also be a great fit.  Finally, Oren Burks would be a good player to grab in rd 3.  I just really want to move on from PB.  No one is asking for perfection.  We just want upgrades so that McD can do a little bit more defensively.

Just now, MrEpsYtown said:

Agreed. That's why I'm guessing it is a lowball offer to come back as a part time player out of respect. 

We don't agree, I was being sarcastic.  Brown doesn't suck.  He has been a starter for us with 3 different defensive coordinators.  McDermott watched film on him before he took over the team and didn't upgrade the position.  He has shown he doesn't have a problem getting rid of players.

He's not a high end starter or ideal MLB but he's quality enough.  I would like an upgrade but if that's not in the cards for a few years, he can fill in adequately.

He was on the field 99.1% of the snaps last year.  You don't have someone on the field for 99.1% of the snaps if they "continued to suck".  

$4M/yr?  Seriously?  Kuechly is getting $7.6M this year, then $10M/yr for the next three after that.  Not saying he's Kuechly, but even Dirty Kiko is making $7+M a year.  The Blaster should be getting $5-6M/yr at least.  Bills clearly sending the message that they're not that interested.

2 minutes ago, CNY315 said:

@RyanTalbotBills: Update: Source says talks with Bills have concluded. “He’s going where he feels wanted and returning home to the #Bengals.” 

Woo hoo!

Thank you (again) Bengals! Good riddance JAG Brown. Your snippiness through the FA process was unnecessary.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

@RyanTalbotBills: Update: Source says talks with Bills have concluded. “He’s going where he feels wanted and returning home to the #Bengals.” 

Woo hoo!

Thank you (again) Bengals! Good riddance JAG Brown. Your snippiness through the FA process was unnecessary.

Replacing Kevin Minter, another slow meh linebacker. Curious to see the contract.