Bills Listed Among Early Free Agency Winners by SI and PFW

Bears, 49ers, Titans Emerge as Early Free Agency Winners

By JONATHAN JONES March 15, 2018

BUFFALO BILLS

A big few weeks for the Bills because lest you forget they agreed to terms with Vontae Davis at the end of February. Also, the team shipped left tackle Cordy Glenn to Cincinnati and swapped first-round draft picks, which allows Buffalo to move in position to strike for a top-five pick in the NFL draft. Now the Bills hold picks 12 and 22 (along with two picks in rounds two and three each), so all signs point to them using that capital to trade up and grab a top-five pick, allowing them to draft the quarterback of their future.

No, that QB is not A.J. McCarron, who the Bills signed to a low-risk, two-year deal. This allows Buffalo to see if the quarterback they draft in April is the real deal. Wise were the Bills to not reach and overpay for a quarterback in this free-agent class after Kirk Cousins and Case Keenum were off the board.

The draft capital was the best free-agent acquisition the Bills had, but they got plenty more, too. They re-upped veteran defensive tackle Kyle Williams a day after they agreed to sign tackle Star Lotulelei to a five-year deal. Shortly after the Williams’ signing they got Trent Murphy on a three-year deal to really strength their pass rush across the line.

They even got some insurance for Shady McCoy by getting Chris Ivory. Indeed, the Bills have to pick their rookie quarterback correctly for any of this to matter, but the draft isn’t for another six weeks, making them winners today.

Arthur Arkush's five early free-agent observations | Pro Football Weekly

4. Bills seem to get it

Buffalo was done with Tyrod Taylor, who was going to get cut before his $6 million 2018 roster became guaranteed on the third day of the league year. Instead, the Bills received the first pick in Round Three from the Cleveland Browns in exchange for Taylor, then waited until the veteran QB carousel slowed to pounce on A.J. McCarron for a two-year deal that maxes out at $12 million.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

SI and PFW know nothing.  They once complimented TT's game.  

It's not like Tyrod was all piss and vinegar.  The guy did have moments.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, simool said:

It's not like Tyrod was all piss and vinegar.  The guy did have moments.

Moments?  You are so generous.  

I think I have to let some of this crowd know that is sarcasm so I dont have to keep replying 

Edited by nedboy7

7 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

Moments?  You are so generous.  

I think I have to let some of this crowd know that is sarcasm so I dont have to keep replying 

Look, you post on a message board.  THat is your claim to fame in regards to Pro Football.  John Dorsey does not trade #65 for someone as crappy as you continually make Tyrod out to be. You can go on believing you know what you are talking about, but you look pretty foolish.

Tyrod took it as far as he could here, we obviously needed to move on for a multitude of reasons.  I am pulling for Tyrod and expect him to get Cleveland on the right side of 500 sooner rather than later.

• Like (+1) 4

Funny though I was on some other site earlier and listed the Bills as one of the losers.

But was pretty inaccurate as mentioned how they didn't do anything to secure a backup for McCoy.  Guess this guy didn't know they signed Ivory.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/8-teams-that-lost-in-free-agency/ar-BBKgMav?li=BBnba9I

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Funny though I was on some other site earlier and listed the Bills as one of the losers.

But was pretty inaccurate as mentioned how they didn't do anything to secure a backup for McCoy.  Guess this guy didn't know they signed Ivory.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/8-teams-that-lost-in-free-agency/ar-BBKgMav?li=BBnba9I

That is probably the worst NFL writer I ever had the misfortune of reading.  Did you read his winners? He is a schmuck.

3 hours ago, simool said:

Look, you post on a message board.  THat is your claim to fame in regards to Pro Football.  John Dorsey does not trade #65 for someone as crappy as you continually make Tyrod out to be. You can go on believing you know what you are talking about, but you look pretty foolish.

Tyrod took it as far as he could here, we obviously needed to move on for a multitude of reasons.  I am pulling for Tyrod and expect him to get Cleveland on the right side of 500 sooner rather than later.

I understand what your saying. Tyrod has a potential to win games and he did. He also had a potential to play it safe with 3 points on the board until the end of the game. 

Tyrod also landed on what most might agree is one of the worst teams in the NFL right now. I'm not bashing Tyrod. I'm not bashing the Browns. I just wouldn't put a whole lot of stock that Tyrod gets them into a 500 range.

Although I do plan on keeping track of how he does with the Browns. It will be very sad if a winless team can get production out of a QB that a borderline playoff team couldn't get when they finally did sneak in. 

Edited by Lfod

47 minutes ago, Lfod said:

I understand what your saying. Tyrod has a potential to win games and he did. He also had a potential to play it safe with 3 points on the board until the end of the game. 

Tyrod also landed on what most might agree is one of the worst teams in the NFL right now. I'm not bashing Tyrod. I'm not bashing the Browns. I just wouldn't put a whole lot of stock that Tyrod gets them into a 500 range.

Although I do plan on keeping track of how he does with the Browns. It will be very sad if a winless team can get production out of a QB that a borderline playoff team couldn't get when they finally did sneak in. 

I am not saying anything other than anyone on a message board knows jack. If a gm of John Dorsey's caliber spends a #65 for Taylor, that tells you all you need to know. I did not say anything about Tyrod's success other than I am pulling for him and I expect him to have cleveland on the right side of 500 sooner rather than later. I find it sad that people don't get it that if it was not for Tyrod you would be looking at year 18 and no one can argue that fact unless you can go back in time.

More praise for the Bills.

List of NFL's 10 shrewdest free agent signings includes likely Hall of Famer, former first rounder
1. QB AJ McCarron, Buffalo Bills: He's only got four NFL starts (including a near-victory in the 2015 playoffs) but may prove a prime value on a two-year, $10 million pact. McCarron, lauded for his leadership while leading Alabama to college titles, now gets his big pro shot, while Buffalo gets at least a bridge quarterback — and perhaps much more — whose pocket-based game clearly held more appeal for team brass than Tyrod Taylor's more frenetic style.

6 hours ago, simool said:

I am not saying anything other than anyone on a message board knows jack. If a gm of John Dorsey's caliber spends a #65 for Taylor, that tells you all you need to know. I did not say anything about Tyrod's success other than I am pulling for him and I expect him to have cleveland on the right side of 500 sooner rather than later. I find it sad that people don't get it that if it was not for Tyrod you would be looking at year 18 and no one can argue that fact unless you can go back in time.

loomis, Hue will get the most out of Tyrod, no doubt. however Dorsey acquiring him was more of a desperation move than anything else. i'd prefer to look at it from the angle of Beane getting the most from that desperation than anything Dorsey might have accomplished. do you honestly believe that there is another gm that would have given the same compensation?

Edited by Foxx

2 hours ago, Foxx said:

loomis, Hue will get the most out of Tyrod, no doubt. however Dorsey acquiring him was more of a desperation move than anything else. i'd prefer to look at it from the angle of Beane getting the most from that desperation than anything Dorsey might have accomplished. do you honestly believe that there is another gm that would have given the same compensation?

Really? I am fairly certain signing McCarron like Hue originally wanted would have been viewed as desperation.  Of course there is not another GM that would have paid that price, but do you really think there is another team in Clevelands predicament? From the outside looking in, Tyrod was the best choice for leadership and just his ability to not turn over the ball. Who would be better there? With Thomas retiring, and the general state of their offensive line play I sure as hell would not put anyone else back there and expect them to survive the season. He is the common sense choice to fill that spot until you can get the bleeding stopped everywhere else on that offense.