Brady Quinn (CBS Sports) now projecting we trade up to take Josh Allen?!

13 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Nothing to see here, Dingus. 

1) a bunch of pundits have been Mocking Josh Allen very high and further pumping him up since the Combine.

Mayock has Darnold and Allen ahead of Rosen.

Kiper has Allen going #1 overall to the Browns, and as the top QB on his mock.

I'd love to know how often those guys are right.  I remember Kiper on The Pickle (can't miss, he'd retire if he doesn't succeed) and Gabbert (#1 overall!)

There's all kind of stuff about how Allen "Won the Combine"

2) a bunch of pundits have been Mocking Allen to the Bills for weeks - Ben Allbright is one, Daniel Jeremiah has us trading up to #3 and taking Allen!

Sounds like Brady Quinn is basically just copying them.   Lately Allbright has been saying Allen/Rosen to Bills.  Which means Bills probably want Darnold or Baker.

Count me as not on the Allen train.  I want Rosen or Mayfield based on what they show on game film.  I don't like Darnold's throwing motion at all.  I don't like the way Allen responds to pressure in the pocket, nor his mechanics.  But that's just me, and in addition to my limited film skills of course I don't know what kind of football knowledge these guys have or how they come across in person.

I think we understand this, the question is what are the chops of the people doing this rating, and what is their basis for it?[/b\

My theory is that Allen's favorable rating went up after the combine where many people predicted he was going to shine because of his classic physical attributes. He did well and he looked good. It shouldn't be surprising that In that setting he was going to stand out. The issue is can he do it in games where you have to process what is going on before executing a play. 

There is also the Wentz factor. He came out of the same program So there is going to be less skepticism about a player coming out of that program. Just maybe this is a qb class where legitimately there  is a top tier group where all will eventually succeed. Assuming the Bills move up my money is still on the Bills selecting Rosen. However, if the Bills decide on another qb I'm receptive to the selection. 

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

My theory is that Allen's favorable rating went up after the combine where many people predicted he was going to shine because of his classic physical attributes. He did well and he looked good. It shouldn't be surprising that In that setting he was going to stand out. The issue is can he do it in games where you have to process what is going on before executing a play. 

There is also the Wentz factor. He came out of the same program So there is going to be less skepticism about a player coming out of that program. Just maybe this is a qb class where legitimately there  is a top tier group where all will eventually succeed. Assuming the Bills move up my money is still on the Bills selecting Rosen. However, if the Bills decide on another qb I'm receptive to the selection. 

I just don't think he CAN do it in games...

His game log looks pretty unimpressive.

In 2017,  against the only 2 big teams he played, he went -

Iowa: 23/40 - 174 yards, 0 TD's, 2 INT's, 57.5% Comp.
Oregon: 9/24 - 64 yards 0 TD's, 1 INT, 37.5% Comp.

But hey, against, Gardner-Webb he was 22/32 for 328 yards, 2 TD's & 0 INT's.... (and it was his only 300 yard game).

For someone who played in the Mountain West, having only a 56.3% completion percentage % throwing for only 16 TD's, while averaging 164 yards a game is not impressive at all.

His combine can be look as good as ever, but that rarely means a QB can suddenly play well in the NFL.

Edited by BigDingus

2 hours ago, BigDingus said:

I just don't think he CAN do it in games...

His game log looks pretty unimpressive.

In 2017,  against the only 2 big teams he played, he went -

Iowa: 23/40 - 174 yards, 0 TD's, 2 INT's, 57.5% Comp.
Oregon: 9/24 - 64 yards 0 TD's, 1 INT, 37.5% Comp.

But hey, against, Gardner-Webb he was 22/32 for 328 yards, 2 TD's & 0 INT's.... (and it was his only 300 yard game).

For someone who played in the Mountain West, having only a 56.3% completion percentage % throwing for only 16 TD's, while averaging 164 yards a game is not impressive at all.

His combine can be look as good as ever, but that rarely means a QB can suddenly play well in the NFL.

You concisely described the concerns about him. Although I'm skeptical I'm also open-minded about him. I would be less adverse to taking him at a lower draft position.