Brady Quinn (CBS Sports) now projecting we trade up to take Josh Allen?!

1 hour ago, BigDingus said:

http://cbsprt.co/2HCCmDV

The video has Brady Quinn's mock with the Bills moving up to take Allen 2nd overall...

I've been under the impression that Allen was a mid-round talent that could drop even further since he's so raw, and basically just has the prototypical QB "look," without the accolades & accomplishments to go with it.

Why would anyone TRADE UP to grab him? Maybe trade down, but into the top 3 and #2 overall?! The old Bills regimes were known for a few reaches, but this would be an even riskier one. Is there any talk of us having our sights set on him?

Granted it's just one mock, but we've seen this show before. A QB who's average-above average but with the look and size moves up not based on his on-field play, but his measurements/combine/pro-day/etc. as the draft gets closer. Really hoping there isn't a bigger thing going on behind the scenes here where people from OBD are lapping up Allen's "ceiling" & media members are catching wind of this.

Thankfully, this mock also by CBS Sports has us moving up to #3 & grabbing Darnold (who's actually the highest rated by NFL.com draft profile of any QB the past several years) - https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2018-nfl-mock-draft-bills-trade-up-into-top-five-for-qb-saquon-barkley-drops/  and looks more realistic. Oddly, it also has Allen ranked high, this time at #1 overall.

According to NFL.com, Allen is rated a 6.01, Mayfield a 6.03,  Rosen a 6.19,  and Darnold a 7.0.

Why are teams so enamored with Allen?

You do realize these guys are just speculating like all of us.  It's just a guess.  He has no inside info

One thing that makes me think all the talking heads link Allen to Buffalo is the "common knowledge"  that (1) you need a cannon arm to play in the frozen tundra of Buffalo, (2) you can't be from California to play in the frozen tundra of Buffalo, and (3) Buffalo's 'blue collar' fan base wants a big, strong, white, WASP, small town kid to play QB in the frozen tundra--AKA, Jim Kelley, Jr.    That profile fits Allen, and so it must be true.

I hate talking heads...

If Rosen , Darnold and Mayfield are gone when the Bills draft,  hope McCarron can be a viable starter till Allen takes 2 years to develop.  The other option is Lamar or Rudolph. White in rd 2 another option. All depends if a trade with Giants , or Indy is possible. 

The Bills have to find the best QB coach like a Pat Shurmur. 

Things will start sorting themselves out closer to draft day.  At this point, the combine/workouts are still fresh in people's minds.  Many of those in the media haven't done extensive film review yet.  Teams are throwing out smokescreens left and right.  It's hard to tell whether all the sudden Josh Allen hype is for real.

One thing to keep in mind though.  Scouts and GMs seem to place more emphasis on physical abilities than most of the general football-watching public.  Regular fans put more emphasis on stats and "how good" a player was in college. 

With that said, I wouldn't be surprised if the Allen hype is real.  Although I personally would have REALLY have a tough time trading all these picks and moving up - just so we could take a massive boom/bust type prospect.  It's going to be an especially tough pill for Bills fans to swallow, because Allen's scouting report reads so close to EJ Manuel.  That's the main reason people are panicking over all the recent Josh Allen reports.

1 hour ago, LikeIGiveADarn said:

I guarantee Allen is this year's media hyped prospect. ESPN will have cameras on him all night as he sits there waiting to be called. Most NFL teams are not stupid enough to take such a raw prospect on measurables alone.

Totally agree 

44 minutes ago, the skycap said:

Sounds like you're describing EJ Manuel. That was Chris Trepasso's list.

Skycap is onto me.  I paraphrased "prototype frame for pocket passer" into  "looks the way you want your QB to look" but the rest I've read pretty much verbatim.  And yes, I had EJ Manuel in mind when I wrote that list.

Here's the thing about project QB: it's great to take a later round shot on one, especially if you're a team with a QB and you're looking for someone with a high ceiling who might develop into The Man, as we did with Cardale Jones, kinda.  The higher you draft one and the stronger your need for a QB RIGHT NOW, the greater the looming disaster.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

14 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Things will start sorting themselves out closer to draft day.  At this point, the combine/workouts are still fresh in people's minds.  Many of those in the media haven't done extensive film review yet.  Teams are throwing out smokescreens left and right.  It's hard to tell whether all the sudden Josh Allen hype is for real.

One thing to keep in mind though.  Scouts and GMs seem to place more emphasis on physical abilities than most of the general football-watching public.  Regular fans put more emphasis on stats and "how good" a player was in college. 

With that said, I wouldn't be surprised if the Allen hype is real.  Although I personally would have REALLY have a tough time trading all these picks and moving up - just so we could take a massive boom/bust type prospect.  It's going to be an especially tough pill for Bills fans to swallow, because Allen's scouting report reads so close to EJ Manuel.  That's the main reason people are panicking over all the recent Josh Allen reports.

you're a smart man

Wyoming’s team this year was absolutely horrendous!!! 

Allen has a solid 2016 season with Wyoming throwing 3000+ yds and Rushing for over 500 yds. 28 TDs 15 ints.  

Yes he he took a step back this year but his entire team took 3 steps back. His Oline has never been good, and if you’ve truly watch a game you’ll see the play calling at times is terrible at best.

The kids got crazy potential physically... mentally, nobody on this board knows him so you don’t know how smart he is, how fast he can grasp a concept etc, his leadership abilities etc....

If he has the brains, mental ability and leadership qualities teams look for no way he makes it out of the top 5....

40 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

you're a smart man

Thing is EJ was surrounded by 5 Star talent.... it’s hard to compare them cause Allen didn’t receive the level of coaching and have amazing talent around him... 

Id be willing to bet EJ would have been super crappy if he spent 3 years at Wyoming and played with that Oline.

Allen got by with talent alone...

5 hours ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

What happened is NFL GMs know how to play their cards. They have their eyes set on a guy or guys, and a good way to keep that secret is to give the impression that that person is someone else. 

Allen is the perfect pawn.

Mayock has him at #2. Is he smoke-screening for someone?

It's pretty much the consensus. 

I personally hope we don't take him but I wouldn't rule anything out.

4 hours ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

No doubt that happens. That kind of thing isn't exclusive to football.

But the main issue in this thread shouldn't be the idea that Allen is being overhyped, or why. It should be the idea that the Bills, specifically, are the team that will draft him @ #2 overall.

IMO, Beane had eyes on a QB or QBs over a year ago, hence the trades to gain extra draft capital. Once they happened, many of us felt it was all with the intention of adding ammo for a move up in this year's draft for a QB. Now, Taylor is gone, and they moved Glenn to move up already, which all but tips the hand that the Bills want a QB In the draft.  I have a hard time believing that all of this was done for a player that wasn't considered a top 2 QB until 2018, warranted or not.

Beane and McD are from the Panthers, who chose Newton first overall, a guy who was on absolutely nobody's radar before that final year. Newton threw six passes in two years at Florida then spent a year at that JUCO, and then his terrific year at Auburn.

Not that I want Allen.

But I don't think there's any way to rule him out. I agree they've been looking at the QBs in this draft for awhile, but I can't imagine they'd close their minds when another guy starts to look draft-worthy. 

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

Allen has a solid 2016 season with Wyoming throwing 3000+ yds and Rushing for over 500 yds. 28 TDs 15 ints.  

Yes he he took a step back this year but his entire team took 3 steps back. His Oline has never been good, and if you’ve truly watch a game you’ll see the play calling at times is terrible at best.

The kids got crazy potential physically... mentally, nobody on this board knows him so you don’t know how smart he is, how fast he can grasp a concept etc, his leadership abilities etc....

If he has the brains, mental ability and leadership qualities teams look for no way he makes it out of the top 5....

Thing is EJ was surrounded by 5 Star talent.... it’s hard to compare them cause Allen didn’t receive the level of coaching and have amazing talent around him... 

Id be willing to bet EJ would have been super crappy if he spent 3 years at Wyoming and played with that Oline.

I'm not 'that guy' who is going to debate witcha about talent on college team A of 5 years ago vs talent of college team B today.

It does seem to me the "talent" argument cuts both ways.... who were both of these guys playing against, what level of competition across the ball?

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm not 'that guy' who is going to debate witcha about talent on college team A of 5 years ago vs talent of college team B today.

It does seem to me the "talent" argument cuts both ways.... who were both of these guys playing against, what level of competition across the ball?

But that’s the point, he’s saying all his highlights were of lesser or equal opponents... of course he’s not gonna have highlights against big schools cause 1, they don’t play them and 2 his team probably got crushed. It’s moot. 

He performed well in his Bowl game, played well in 2016 when he had more seniority around him and showed well during Senior Bowl week... 

Apparently these experts have only been watching Allen's 2016 tape.

Allen certainly is the number one QB if you go by that. But the process contains ALL tape and Bills fans think the 2017 version of Allen is the final draft.

I loved Allen going into 2017, very skeptical now.

We shall see.

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Mayock has him at #2. Is he smoke-screening for someone.

It's pretty much the consensus. 

I personally hope we don't take him but I wouldn't rule anything out.

Beane and McD are from the Panthers, who chose Newton first overall, a guy who was on absolutely nobody's radar before that final year. Newton threw six passes in two years at Florida then spent a year at that JUCO, and then his terrific year at Auburn.

Not that I want Allen.

But I don't think there's any way to rule him out. I agree they've been looking at the QBs in this draft for awhile, but I can't imagine they'd close their minds when another guy starts to look draft-worthy. 

I get what you're saying, but I just don't see Allen being as good as advertised (hyped). He wasn't rated this high in December...

I get it; there's a lot to like about the guy. He has the size and good arm. Seems like a good, mature kid. But on the field (what matters most) he wasn't very consistent. If the hype is real, I don't get it, fully. Then again, I'm no scout or GM. 

I just don't think he's the guy you trade the farm for to draft in the top 3, especially based on the tape. 

1 hour ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

This right here is how you make an argument for Allen. Perhaps the talent he played with (or lack thereof) is something that GMs and scouts are factoring in more than most of us, and see through that.

On the other hand, Wyoming didn't exactly face the toughest, most talented opponents very often either.

Edited by Drunken Pygmy Goat

1 hour ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

But that’s the point, he’s saying all his highlights were of lesser or equal opponents... of course he’s not gonna have highlights against big schools cause 1, they don’t play them and 2 his team probably got crushed.

I was responding to your comparison of EJ and Allen, saying EJ was surrounded by 5 star talent and would have been super-crappy if he spent 3 years at Wyoming.

Maybe.  I'm not equipped to compare the talent level in Florida 2012 and Wyoming 2017.  My point is just as they were surrounded by different levels of talent on their O, they were also facing different levels of talent.  Maybe if Allen were facing tougher D in a different conference, he would have looked super crappy even with more talent around him.  We can't tell, that's why it's kind of a pointless exercise.