I Guess The Market Is Dry For EJ and Preston Brown

I am shocked that both EJ Gaines and Preston Brown have not gotten new deals.  EJ Gaines especially was projected to make $8-$9M a year.  Preston even was going to get $7 M.  That won’t happen now, but with EJ it makes me wonder whether the Bills can make a short term deal within the $4-$6M range.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm not sure I would go so far as to say the market has dried up one day into Free Agency. But I would definitely like to see us re-sign both of them.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Lurker said:

The longer they linger, the more chance they have to re-sign with the Bills.    I would be happy if both guys returned...

Not always true. As options dry up, sometimes teams get desperate too. Waiting could result in closer to what they want. COULD

EJ is a very specific scheme fit with injury issues. It’s in his best interests to come back to us and prove that this year wasn’t a fluke. 

Preston is slow and can’t cover. Not really coveted in today’s NFL. I could see him going somwhere like Green Bay to play inside in a 3-4. He’s a 2 down backer and he likes the Patriots so f him. 

• Haha (+1) 1

they're opposites

Preston never missed an NFL game in 4 years, London Fletcher is the only LB I've ever heard of with a streak like that.

Gaines hurt frequently but exceptional talent when healthy

Preston never hurt but has significantly less range than most LB's.     

• Like (+1) 1

Could be the Bills have made offers very close to what they'e got from other teams so they are trying to get a little more someplace else and then bring that to the Bills to match.  And at the same time Buffalo has probably given them a deadline or they are moving on to option B or C

And BTW, why does everyone suddenly want EJ Manual back anyway??   

24 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Their presumed asking price is very high, but it’s only Day 2. Hope they both remain Bills.

I read on twitter (can't remember who said it) that several teams called EJ's agent and balked at the price.