I Guess The Market Is Dry For EJ and Preston Brown

I wouldn't object to getting both of them back tbh. Brown is a solid enough player in a 4-3, and is nowhere near as bad as some would like to make out. I'd rather have him than Bradham any day of the week, and especially Sundays. There were a couple of times in the SB, where it looked to me as though Bradham was running through sand, where everyone else was running on turf - and I wasn't even trying to see stuff like that.

Gaines problem is his talent is currently outweighing his availability. And his ego is likely in lock step with his talent. I'm not sure that Gaines had one particular problem last year, or whether it was a series of different 'nicks', but whatever it was, it seems to happen every year with him. On the one hand, you appreciate that the guy is a finely honed athlete, who knows his own body well, on the other hand, you want him to get his butt on the field of a Sunday, because your team is better with him, than without him.

My own gut feeling is that McDermott is pretty old school when it comes to Sundays, and availability, and Beane will simply have to follow that lead. Consequently, I can see them offering Gaines a new deal, but nowhere near what he wants, without him hitting playing incentives. 

41 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

I am shocked that both EJ Gaines and Preston Brown have not gotten new deals.  EJ Gaines especially was projected to make $8-$9M a year.  Preston even was going to get $7 M.  That won’t happen now, but with EJ it makes me wonder whether the Bills can make a short term deal within the $4-$6M range.

If they come cheap and can be structured to be cut without cap penalty, if something better comes along, why not? 

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

EJ is a very specific scheme fit with injury issues. It’s in his best interests to come back to us and prove that this year wasn’t a fluke. 

Preston is slow and can’t cover. Not really coveted in today’s NFL. I could see him going somwhere like Green Bay to play inside in a 3-4. He’s a 2 down backer and he likes the Patriots so f him. 

Seeing zach brown, a more athletic lb, struggle to get the deal he wanted the last few years left me feeling like brown wouldn’t be getting the brinks truck.

gaines I think still sees a pay day - cb vs lb is a different discussion. That said, the longer he lingers the better our shot 

Edited by NoSaint

NFL free agency moves fast but it is only day 2 of the official signing period. There are still plenty of teams with plenty of cap space that need corners and LB's. So I wouldn't say that the market has dried up just yet on these players. But if by next Wednesday these players are still out on the market then clearly the market has passed them up. Gaines I think will be fine I suspect by Monday he is signed. Brown could go either way. I wouldn't mind seeing Brown back on an affordable deal. But Gaines back on a modest deal would be great. 

The less holes going into the draft the better. 

5 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

NFL free agency moves fast but it is only day 2 of the official signing period. There are still plenty of teams with plenty of cap space that need corners and LB's. So I wouldn't say that the market has dried up just yet on these players. But if by next Wednesday these players are still out on the market then clearly the market has passed them up. Gaines I think will be fine I suspect by Monday he is signed. Brown could go either way. I wouldn't mind seeing Brown back on an affordable deal. But Gaines back on a modest deal would be great. 

The less holes going into the draft the better. 

Suh's available.  Mathieu's available.  Sheldon Richardson... There are still premier players available.

A lot of corners moved pre free agency with Talib, Peters, Sherman, Worley, and Randall all moving teams.  IMO Gaines was at that tier below Johnson and Butler, and the market shows that.  There's a few other guys available, but he's probably better, and more likely asking for a bunch more money.  Gaines wants more than Robinson got at 4yrs 20.  

Brown's an interesting case because of his fit with certain teams.  Patriots won't overpay, but he'd probably fit in there pretty well as a deep lying cover 2 MLB. 

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

The longer they linger, the more chance they have to re-sign with the Bills.    I would be happy if both guys returned...

Not me. Give me EJ Gaines back for sure but Preston Brown can pound sand. We can do better at linebacker.

EJ is a very specific scheme fit with injury issues. It’s in his best interests to come back to us and prove that this year wasn’t a fluke. 

Preston is slow and can’t cover. Not really coveted in today’s NFL. I could see him going somwhere like Green Bay to play inside in a 3-4. He’s a 2 down backer and he likes the Patriots so f him. 

Bet Mc Beanes caught wind of that as well.

I can see him as a two down here still

That won’t make him faster or help him cover toght ends. He’s terrible

I disagree about him being terrible.

He was god awful with Rex and got Back to form under Frazier. He is very serviceable. But limited might be the better word ?

5 minutes ago, BeefCurtns said:

Not me. Give me EJ Gaines back for sure but Preston Brown can pound sand. We can do better at linebacker.

and oft injured CB at over 5 mil and an indulgence since getting Davis.

Or getting back the QB of the Defense at a bargain.

hmmm.
I hope they draft the MLB of the future for sure.

Thing is Brown is looking for the longer term contract. Bills likely will not give it to him, and certainly are not paying his agents asking price, at this point anyways