Saints owner Tom Benson passes

3 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

This guy sounds like a pretty decent guy.  I didn't know much about him. Read about him as I cooled down working out 

He really did a lot in the wake of Katrina and with Gleason.

He was never beloved because of his threats to move the team. He also held a gun to the state’s head to get inducements that no owner, in any sport has ever gotten. 

Benson is a weird case though because I think people grew to appreciate him. It is like Ralph in that sense. He really offered a stability that this area needed.

2 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

wow. i was just reading that it looks like they are settled now with the estate of the mom so no current lawsuits. curious to see how they will sell them. gonna be close to a 5 billion number i'd venture to guess. 

It is in the low to mid $2B’s for both teams. I could see it pushing a little higher.

Again, they may not force her to sell anymore but she has a sketchy past. Benson met Gayle at a New Orleans Voodoo game about 15 years ago. I think she sang the anthem. The family cleary questioned her intentions. 

This story will will be interesting as it unfolds. 

7 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

He really did a lot in the wake of Katrina and with Gleason.

He was never beloved because of his threats to move the team. He also held a gun to the state’s head to get inducements that no owner, in any sport has ever gotten. 

Benson is a weird case though because I think people grew to appreciate him. It is like Ralph in that sense. He really offered a stability that this area needed.

It is in the low to mid $2B’s for both teams. I could see it pushing a little higher.

Again, they may not force her to sell anymore but she has a sketchy past. Benson met Gayle at a New Orleans Voodoo game about 15 years ago. I think she sang the anthem. The family cleary questioned her intentions. 

This story will will be interesting as it unfolds. 

she was actually approved as the successor back in 2015 so it seems she will be the owner. 

Just to be clear there has to be a successor (which Gayle is). Neither commissioner wants her and will pressure her to sell. The owner can leave the team to whomever they want (for what it’s worth they didn’t like the cokehead granddaughter either). She was always going to be okay in the short-term. We will see if the leagues still press Gayle to sell.

I will be happy to keep people in the loop along the way if they are interested? I am still really close with a lot of people on all sides (including the Chouest camp). If you guys don’t care I’ll leave it alone but if you want updates as I hear things I’d be happy to share. Up to you...

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I just wrote a long piece in the other thread that disappeared. There are a lot of twists and turns coming in the future with this whole situation. I’ve heard that the NBA & NFL aren’t going to approve Gayle and force her to sell. The source is beyond credible (it rhymes with Madam Milver) but it was almost 5 years ago. Things may have changed.

There are also rumors that there is already the foundation of an agreement in place with former Pelicans minority owner Gary Chouest for both teams at $2B(ish). I don’t where all that stands. Long story short there are big changes coming.

By all accounts, he was a kind-hearted and generous man that grew to love his community. Despite the family squabbling and Benson offered stability in an unstable region. He has done a ton for Southeast Louisiana and will be sorely missed. RIP Mr. B

There's a piece in the Advocate saying she is poised to take control and that both the NBA and NFL approve: "Despite objections from his jilted relatives, team officials have said both the NBA and the NFL approve the plan for Gayle Benson — who once made her living decorating homes and running dental offices — to become owner of the Pelicans and Saints following Benson's death............. Nonetheless, those close to Benson have said they are confident the plan for his wife to take over is legally unassailable. "

5 years make a difference I think - there was a lawsuit from his jilted children and grandchildren in 2015 that failed, and she's been in the picture for 3 years.

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Just to be clear there has to be a successor (which Gayle is). Neither commissioner wants her and will pressure her to sell. The owner can leave the team to whomever they want (for what it’s worth they didn’t like the cokehead granddaughter either). She was always going to be okay in the short-term. We will see if the leagues still press Gayle to sell.

I will be happy to keep people in the loop along the way if they are interested? I am still really close with a lot of people on all sides (including the Chouest camp). If you guys don’t care I’ll leave it alone but if you want updates as I hear things I’d be happy to share. Up to you...

Sharing is caring.

Whatever happens I hope they don't hold the fans hostage. I remember dreading the thought of RW passing and the team being moved. 

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

...a sad story....his family branded her, his third wife as a much younger gold digger (NEVER happens right?) and the battle ensued.......

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I would personally like to know more of the story. 

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

There's a piece in the Advocate saying she is poised to take control and that both the NBA and NFL approve: "Despite objections from his jilted relatives, team officials have said both the NBA and the NFL approve the plan for Gayle Benson — who once made her living decorating homes and running dental offices — to become owner of the Pelicans and Saints following Benson's death............. Nonetheless, those close to Benson have said they are confident the plan for his wife to take over is legally unassailable. "

5 years make a difference I think - there was a lawsuit from his jilted children and grandchildren in 2015 that failed, and she's been in the picture for 3 years.

In this case I think it’s likely wise to listen to Kirby about the difference between what’s on paper vs what’s in hearts and minds.

my impression is that the plan is there but it’s very possible it ends up a band aid and not a true long term solution. 

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It wasn’t about the dispute though. The league’s objected to her as a business leader. Again it may go away but I am just telling you what I am hearing from the different camps. 

Alright, I will occasionally chime in then as I hear things. It may be a touch jumbled but reliable. It may not all come to fruition so please know that in advance. It has been quiet for a while but obviously this will change things. 

11 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Gayle may be legally planted to become owner. BUT.. does Gayle have the ability to pay the estate tax?

Estate taxes is why Ralph Wilson's daughter didn't get the Bills. It's also why the Cooke family had to sell the Redskins to Daniel Snyder.

I think the Saints will be up for sale. Sadly. But people want to tax the rich, and this is a result.

5 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It wasn’t about the dispute though. The league’s objected to her as a business leader. Again it may go away but I am just telling you what I am hearing from the different camps. 

Alright, I will occasionally chime in then as I hear things. It may be a touch jumbled but reliable. It may not all come to fruition so please know that in advance. It has been quiet for a while but obviously this will change things. 

Definitely a spot where what someone wants to have happen or thinks will happen may not come to fruition but we all know you are good at weighing sources and sharing accurately

hes such an interesting case as an owner. You may feel different but it seemed he really wanted to move, not just used it as leverage. But he also gave a small market in Nola a championship (after decades of failure).... it’s one of those spots where his legacy is messy but the city’s relationship with the team is rock solid. While I think Ralph went to the wall for buffalo, I think New Orleans (and benson) got lucky that he wasn’t able to move the saints.

12 minutes ago, boater said:

Gayle may be legally planted to become owner. BUT.. does Gayle have the ability to pay the estate tax?

Estate taxes is why Ralph Wilson's daughter didn't get the Bills. It's also why the Cooke family had to sell the Redskins to Daniel Snyder.

I think the Saints will be up for sale. Sadly. But people want to tax the rich, and this is a result.

Spouses don’t pay estate taxes

14 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Definitely a spot where what someone wants to have happen or thinks will happen may not come to fruition but we all know you are good at weighing sources and sharing accurately

hes such an interesting case as an owner. You may feel different but it seemed he really wanted to move, not just used it as leverage. But he also gave a small market in Nola a championship (after decades of failure).... it’s one of those spots where his legacy is messy but the city’s relationship with the team is rock solid. While I think Ralph went to the wall for buffalo, I think New Orleans (and benson) got lucky that he wasn’t able to move the saints.

Benson is a weird case. I always think about the Super Bowl vs. the other disputes and uncomfortable situations. He was extremes. He had totally lost his mind too the last few years which made the whole thing uglier.  He surrounded himself exclusively with “yes men” too which is interesting. For all of the weird situations, he ultimately did a ton for New Orleans (even if it was begrudgingly at times).