Saints owner Tom Benson passes

he had a succession plan until a few years ago when he fired his granddaughter from the team and wrote his only child and grandkids out of his will. So looks like the Saints might be up for sale shortly. Two NFC south teams.  

13 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Adam Schefter Retweeted New Orleans Saints

Saints announce the passing of owner Tom Benson. A sad day the Saints, for New Orleans, for his family and anyone who knew him.

RIP Mr. Benson.  He was an Awesome owner.

I just wrote a long piece in the other thread that disappeared. There are a lot of twists and turns coming in the future with this whole situation. I’ve heard that the NBA & NFL aren’t going to approve Gayle and force her to sell. The source is beyond credible (it rhymes with Madam Milver) but it was almost 5 years ago. Things may have changed.

There are also rumors that there is already the foundation of an agreement in place with former Pelicans minority owner Gary Chouest for both teams at $2B(ish). I don’t where all that stands. Long story short there are big changes coming.

By all accounts, he was a kind-hearted and generous man that grew to love his community. Despite the family squabbling and Benson offered stability in an unstable region. He has done a ton for Southeast Louisiana and will be sorely missed. RIP Mr. B

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I just wrote a long piece in the other thread that disappeared. There are a lot of twists and turns coming in the future with this whole situation. I’ve heard that the NBA & NFL aren’t going to approve Gayle and force her to sell. The source is beyond credible (it rhymes with Madam Milver) but it was almost 5 years ago. Things may have changed.

There are also rumors that there is already the foundation of an agreement in place with former Pelicans minority owner Gary Chouest for both teams at $2B(ish). I don’t where all that stands. Long story short there are big changes coming.

By all accounts, he was a kind-hearted and generous man that grew to love his community. Despite the family squabbling and Benson offered stability in an unstable region. He has done a ton for Southeast Louisiana and will be sorely missed. RIP Mr. B

does he still own a piece? i read he owned a piece of the pelicans pre benson but then the team went into bankruptcy and the league sold them to benson. did benson just buy him out?

10 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

does he still own a piece? i read he owned a piece of the pelicans pre benson but then the team went into bankruptcy and the league sold them to benson. did benson just buy him out?

Chouest owned like 25% and the majority owner (Shinn) sold to the league when he got sick. That is when I was there. The league had it for about a year and had a handshake agreement in place with Chouest at $318M. They went back to Benson and got $328M and Chouest was beyond pissed. He walked away over it and a year later they were worth about double. Benson owns all of both teams.

He still signed off on all expense reports!! Like $40 of expenses came to Benson. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson

20 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Fadam copperver?   Adalm hilver.

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

He still signed off on all expense reports!! Like $40 of expenses came to Benson. 

Wow. That is an... interesting use of an owner’s time. 

I assume Pegual just hands his managers an ink pad and a stamp of his signature with instructions to only bother him when he needs to dig a new well. 

Edited by jimmy10

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Chouest owned like 25% and the majority owner (Shinn) sold to the league when he got sick. That is when I was there. The league had it for about a year and had a handshake agreement in place with Chouest at $318M. They went back to Benson and got $328M and Chouest was beyond pissed. He walked away over it and a year later they were worth about double. Benson owns all of both teams.

This guy sounds like a pretty decent guy.  I didn't know much about him. Read about him as I cooled down working out 

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

wow. i was just reading that it looks like they are settled now with the estate of the mom so no current lawsuits. curious to see how they will sell them. gonna be close to a 5 billion number i'd venture to guess.