Incognito Restructures Contract to Stay with Bills - Accepted a Pay Cut

This is my annual friendly reminder that “restructuring” usually means getting paid now instead of later. They convert salary to a signing bonus to amortize it. That’s why it is pretty much always a no-brainer. It isn’t a pay cut.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Bills92 said:

I wonder if Richie was motivated to free up money to bring Pouncey here.. Long shot.. but you never know eh!

Pats just circumvented FA for McCourty by trading for him. Pouncey's salary is manageable, why to just ship a 7th to the Dolphins for him before they cut him?

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

This is my annual friendly reminder that “restructuring” usually means getting paid now instead of later. They convert salary to a signing bonus to amortize it. That’s why it is pretty much always a no-brained. It isn’t a pay cut.

Thats usually done to spread that cap hit over a few years.  However no years were added so I bet its a pay cut.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, 17islongenough said:

Thats usually done to spread that cap hit over a few years.  However no years were added so I bet its a pay cut.

Didn’t see that, might change things. They might have done what the Saints just did with Brees though and created a “fake year” next year to stretch it.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This is my annual friendly reminder that “restructuring” usually means getting paid now instead of later. They convert salary to a signing bonus to amortize it. That’s why it is pretty much always a no-brainer. It isn’t a pay cut.

Normally I would agree. But in the post above yours Sal says there were no new years added. You can't amortize if there's no new years added after this one.

So that means either 1) he did take a pay cut, or 2) there are years added but they will automatically void at some point after the season, which would help push some cap to next year while technically not "adding" any years.

Or maybe there's another scenario but it's lost on me.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Tuco said:

Normally I would agree. But in the post above yours Sal says there were no new years added. You can't amortize if there's no new years added after this one.

So that means either 1) he did take a pay cut, or 2) there are years added but they will automatically void at some point after the season, which would help push some cap to next year while technically not "adding" any years.

Or maybe there's another scenario but it's lost on me.

I think that it is probably number 2 (or they should call it a paycut). Teams are getting creative though. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BillsGuru4 said:

I don’t understand why we wouldn’t just add a year at a discount, but, im not a numbers guy. I do however know that he is our best olineman right now

It is looking pretty obvious that this is Ritchie's last year.

It would seem they asked him to do this versus cutting him outright.

I hope they take the savings along with Glenn's and sign an FA OL.