Incognito Restructures Contract to Stay with Bills - Accepted a Pay Cut

Thrilled he will definitely be back this year. I sure hope he's brought back after this year, too. 

Maybe they're just waiting to see how he performs this season. He does turn 35 in July. Hopefully as long as he still performs they at least offer him a 1 year deal. 

13 minutes ago, BillsGuru4 said:

I don’t understand why we wouldn’t just add a year at a discount, but, im not a numbers guy. I do however know that he is our best olineman right now

My thoughts as well ,64 hasn't lost a step, is a leader , especially with Wood gone and plays hard every game. Would have been nice to add a 2nd year for sure

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Tuco said:

Normally I would agree. But in the post above yours Sal says there were no new years added. You can't amortize if there's no new years added after this one.

So that means either 1) he did take a pay cut, or 2) there are years added but they will automatically void at some point after the season, which would help push some cap to next year while technically not "adding" any years.

Or maybe there's another scenario but it's lost on me.

makes sense since the Bills are reported to have a lot of cap space next year to work with

• Like (+1) 1

these guys don't want to hurt the cap next year at all. adding a year on would create dead money next year right? i wonder if they converted his base salary into the signing bonus so he gets all the money now. but asked him to take like a million off or something?

If he was willing to restructure to take a pay cu this year, I think it's safe to say if  he Bills want him to return next year, he'd likely do it too. No reason to add a year now, only to have dead cap space. He's already a very good player, it's not like he's going to be so much better this coming year that he'll dictate a huge raise. 

I understand he's a fan favorite but  why add another year when you can just ride out his contract and then determine whether he should be brought back instead of being on the hook. They did it with Meatball and it worked out pretty well.

I remember being part of the chorus begging for Marrone/Whaley to sign Richie that season he spent out of the league being blackballed, when were starting whatsisname over Urbik and our line was a disaster. 

I was glad to see Rex bring him in, even though it meant cringing through the headlines referencing Rex's "build a bully" speech. 

I wasn't surprised to see him focused and performing to his best ability.

What I was wrong about was that he's kept it up. My assumption was that he'd be good for 2 years, then regress both in play & in off-the-field nonsense. That hasn't been the case — he's seemingly improved each season and grown, as well. 

Have to give him credit for really turning it around. If you'd had to predict, a few years ago,  "who's more likely to Instagram a bed full of guns and a threatening message: Richie Incognito or Jonathan Martin?" most of us would've probably guessed incorrectly.

Richie is not a guy I'd want to hang out with, but I'm glad he's on the Bills. Hope he keeps up the good work.

4 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This is my annual friendly reminder that “restructuring” usually means getting paid now instead of later. They convert salary to a signing bonus to amortize it. That’s why it is pretty much always a no-brainer. It isn’t a pay cut.

Except that the way you amortize signing bonus is you add years to the contract and divide the bonus over those years. 

If the report is correct that no years were added, how could this be done?

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Except that the way you amortize signing bonus is you add years to the contract and divide the bonus over those years. 

Teams started adding a “fake year” that automatically voids. 

13 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This is my annual friendly reminder that “restructuring” usually means getting paid now instead of later. They convert salary to a signing bonus to amortize it. That’s why it is pretty much always a no-brainer. It isn’t a pay cut.

...agreed and I doubt it was for Pouncey...was due $7.9 mil and refused a pay cut......just draft a healthy one..........

8 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

By converting base salary into a roster bonus per say.  I’m assuming that’s what happened