Bridge collapse in Miami

7 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

:huh:

"We built it in five days, it won't be finished for about a year.  But let's start using it."

Seriously?  

i don't believe it was opened yet, thought the article stated was not open to pedestrian traffic yet.

yep, here it is

There were as yet no stairs or ramps to the bridge, which was not open. Opening was scheduled for early next year.

Edited by plenzmd1

Am I seeing this right, the bridge crosses over 6 lanes of traffic plus a median, but has no middle support and no suspension?  I have absolutely zero engineering knowledge, but that doesn't sound like the best of plans to me (yeah, hindsight, I know).

Just now, shrader said:

Am I seeing this right, the bridge crosses over 6 lanes of traffic plus a median, but has no middle support and no suspension?  I have absolutely zero engineering knowledge, but that doesn't sound like the best of plans to me (yeah, hindsight, I know).

It would have been fine except for that one fat chick.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, shrader said:

But it only weighed 950 tons.

Who are our resident structural engineers?

18 minutes ago, shrader said:

You're not seeing it right.  It utilized a truss type construction.

Look at photos before the collapse; you'll notice huge diagonal members connecting the floor of the bridge to the roof of the bridge; those were there to provide the vertical load strength you are asserting the bridge didn't have.

37 minutes ago, shrader said:

I don’t think that’s how the Romans would have done it. 

What a tragedy! 

Years ago they built the I-94 bridge, over the Calumet River here, down river and floated the new span into place... It's still holding after a couple decades 

I hope I didn't just jinx it with this "instant bridge talk."

33 minutes ago, Augie said:

I don’t think that’s how the Romans would have done it. 

What a tragedy! 

What is FIU noted for?  Doctors and lawyers?  I don't think engineering.

1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

But it only weighed 950 tons.

Who are our resident structural engineers?

I got this

Jet fuel can't melt steel beams.

Anyway, this is sad. Happened at MIS back a decade ago after a race.  Only half a dozen killed that time. This sucks. 

Edited by Boyst62

1 hour ago, Helpmenow said:

Where was the testing and who inspected it. Pee wee herman

Probably an army of our crack government inspectors and regulators went over it with extreme diligence. 

Edited by Dante
  • Like (+1) 1