Bridge collapse in Miami

4 hours ago, Helpmenow said:

Where was the testing and who inspected it. Pee wee herman

I think it was still being built.  I caught where they said it was due to open NEXT January???  What would be taking so long???

1 hour ago, snafu said:

I heard that maybe they were doing a stress test on it when it came down, but that wouldn't make sense to have done that with the road open.

It's Florida.

14 minutes ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

Wow!  Lucky the one (looks like an SUV) leaving, sucks for that light vehicle turning right.

Some gotta win and some gotta lose... Looks like vehicle making right gots the blues... :(

The story of good luck and bad luck on the peninsula of the sun. 

On 3/15/2018 at 2:43 PM, Fadingpain said:

You're not seeing it right.  It utilized a truss type construction.

Look at photos before the collapse; you'll notice huge diagonal members connecting the floor of the bridge to the roof of the bridge; those were there to provide the vertical load strength you are asserting the bridge didn't have.

It's actually more a suspension bridge. If you notice from the pictures, the members slant at different angles, putting uneven strain on each girder. While it can work as a truss, it's not how you would design that system to work. It would require each member be of different size and strength, which they clearly weren't.

The construction company built and placed the span before the cable support system that is supposed to take up the load.

3 hours ago, unbillievable said:

It's actually more a suspension bridge. If you notice from the pictures, the members slant at different angles, putting uneven strain on each girder. While it can work as a truss, it's not how you would design that system to work. It would require each member be of different size and strength, which they clearly weren't.

The construction company built and placed the span before the cable support system that is supposed to take up the load.

Collapsed Miami bridge was put in place WITHOUT the central tower and suspension cables which weren´t due to be added for another year
by Ariel Zilber

Original Article

4 hours ago, B-Man said:

Collapsed Miami bridge was put in place WITHOUT the central tower and suspension cables which weren´t due to be added for another year
by Ariel Zilber

Original Article

Holy cow, that's not even a truss. they were using temporary beams to hold up the roof. That's just a plank between two concrete supports. 

A central tower wouldn't have prevented this accident. This system requires you building both sides simultaneously like a seesaw, instead of one side at a time. They were building this the way they normally construct a regular post and beam system. Probably given to the lowest bid with no experience in this type of construction. 

What makes it worse is that it had to have been approved at several levels, and no one noticed that nothing was holding it up?

Edited by unbillievable

20 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Why was traffic going undet it?

These are the kind of things I don't need to see since I've been driving under a new highway overpass under construction for the last 3 years.  It's been a cool process to watch play out slowly over that time though.  My father-in-law worked on designing bridges for the NH DOT.  I would have had a ton of questions for him about the bridge here if he was still around.

Edited by shrader
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, shrader said:

These are the kind of things I don't need to see since I've been driving under a new highway overpass under construction for the last 3 years.  It's been a cool process to watch play out slowly over that time though.  My father-in-law worked on designing bridges for the NH DOT.  I would have had a ton of questions for him about the bridge here if he was still around.

Awesome... Be gr8 if you can relay his answers to back here.

Edit: Sorry... I read it too fast!  LMAO... No disrespect.0:)

I know I am ripping certain areas... Mainly The South.  Different areas behave differently.  Different standards in play.  No way traffic should be going under if this thing wasn't ready.  But what is the standard.  I know business and economy has to keep rolling, people hate detours... 

Obviously, the bar wad set too low in Florida when it comes to this kind of safety.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Like (+1) 1

• 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...