Tyrod named starting QB of Browns

I was on the front lines protesting for his departure yet I was still a believer that Tyrod would start for another team the moment we all figured he was done with us, I remember all the nay sayers and how he would never start again, good for him. 

30 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I hate going down this road, but goddammit, you sucked me in.

EJ outperformed Taylor in both practice and preseason by leaps and bounds.

Rex wanted "his guy," and he got him.

Both EJ and Tyrod sucked.  And yes ... Tyrod turned out to be the better QB (that hurt to write).  But he never earned, nor did he compete for, the starting job.

I’ll take your word for it as I don’t 100 percent remember the training camp. I do remember Tyrod playing fairly well in the pre season games, that’s about it

Edited by billsfan11

I'll get flamed for this but if they have a scheme that showcases his strengths,read options,. Single read routes, that's not going to be a walk in the park.

He has a winning record with sub par WR and thrived under Roman/Lynn, the defense was just atrocious. I know he's an awful passer and not a fit here but he can definitely be a dangerous QB . Especially if they have a good running game. Landry will be the best WR he has played with. 

At the least, I'm intrigued what Hue has planned for Tyrod and can definitely see it equating to success,

4 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

I’ll take your word for it as I don’t 100 percent remember the training camp. I do remember Tyrod playing fairly well in the pre season games, that’s about it

@Gugny doesn’t remember it either. EJ was the titanic and Gug was the band playing as the ship went down. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

It’s only because Darnold and Allen aren’t ready to play. They will still take one of them at 1.

Browns have apparently said Tyrod is their QB, and they believe in him.  I wouldn't be so quick anymore to assume the Browns will use either of the #1 or #4 on a QB. They could trade down still or forego taking a QB in the first (which would be stupid IMO if they dont take a QB and would riot if I was a Browns QB).

I am NOT saying they should do that, I would ABSOLUTELY draft a QB in the top 4 if I am the Browns still.  But these are the Browns, this would be a very Browns thing to do.  Hell I would revolt if I was a Browns fan and they didnt take a QB in the top 4.  

Take Barkley #1 then a QB at #4...thats the plan they should do IMO.  

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Blows me away that this cat has never had to compete for a starting job in his career.

Never got a chance in Baltimore.

Went through the motions to get to a pre-determined outcome in Buffalo.

Not even a fake competition in Cleveland.

Crazy stuff.

I agree.   Some people thought it was a competition but imo Rex wanted TieRod and that was that.  

McDermott took the gamble to stick with the incumbent while he worked on setting a foundation.  

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Both EJ and Tyrod sucked.  And yes ... Tyrod turned out to be the better QB (that hurt to write).  But he never earned, nor did he compete for, the starting job.

Agreed 

25 minutes ago, horned dogs said:

I remember going to that camp and it was without a doubt a tough competition between EJ and TT. In no way was it given to Tyrod.

Rex gave TT the ones and EJ the threes.   

What is it with the people who love TT  hate all his “competition”? 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Browns have apparently said Tyrod is their QB, and they believe in him.  I wouldn't be so quick anymore to assume the Browns will use either of the #1 or #4 on a QB. They could trade down still or forego taking a QB in the first (which would be stupid IMO if they dont take a QB and would riot if I was a Browns QB).

I am NOT saying they should do that, I would ABSOLUTELY draft a QB in the top 4 if I am the Browns still.  But these are the Browns, this would be a very Browns thing to do.  Hell I would revolt if I was a Browns fan and they didnt take a QB in the top 4.  

Take Barkley #1 then a QB at #4...thats the plan they should do IMO.  

The Browns would be making a mistake if they don't take their highest rated qb with their first pick. My bet is on Darnold. If they stay at four they should then take either Fitzpatrick or Chubb, if available. The Browns just signed Hyde from free agency. So I don't think that they would sign Barkley. I recognize that Barkley may be one of the highest rated player in this draft but the Browns need to build a roster and not just accumulate players. If they want to get another back then they can get a very good one at the top of the second round. 

The Browns have a lot of high draft picks and a gargantuan cap space. They need to be wise about using their assets and start thinking more about fitting the pieces together than with accumulating players for the sake of accumulating players. 

They would be fools not to go into 2018 with Tyrod as their starter, no matter who they draft. People need to look at where the Browns are as a team. Taylor was an instant upgrade and difference maker for them. They went 1-31 over the last two years. He makes that better. Even if the rest of the team is a dumpster fire, he will do better. However if a rookie is thrown into the dumpster fire, they may never develop. In fact, I think the only mistake the Browns made here was "overpaying" the Bills, but it may have been what they had to do to get this done. And great job by Beane.

15 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I agree.   Some people thought it was a competition but imo Rex wanted TieRod and that was that.  

McDermott took the gamble to stick with the incumbent while he worked on setting a foundation.  

Agreed 

Rex gave TT the ones and EJ the threes.   

What is it with the people who love TT  hate all his “competition”? 

What are you talking about? I observed a competition with my eyes and I have nothing against EJ. I was a supporter at first and then he sucked. Jesus

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

There isn't a harsher critic of Tyrod than I am. However, your recollection of that EJ/TT time period is flawed. Whether there was a fair competition or a predetermined outcome it didn't matter because one of the quarterbacks simply couldn't play. It was evident prior to training camp when the staff witnessed close up how incapable he was during the scheduled practice sessions. Tyrod wasn't simply better than EJ---he was immensely better than EJ. As an unabashed Tyrod critic I will go so far as to say that this downtrodden and stupid organization was very fortunate that they were able to get Tyrod when it did. The EJ option was not only untenable but a disaster in the making. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Yep. It’s also all fun and games until his wideouts start getting frustrated with his reluctance to throw the ball. I can’t see Haley using a lot of timing concepts as a result. 

Taylor has two Diva WR's on that team that will demand targets. If he has multiple games of 14 for 22 182 and a TD get your popcorn ready.

18 minutes ago, JohnC said:

There isn't a harsher critic of Tyrod than I am. However, your recollection of that EJ/TT time period is flawed. Whether there was a fair competition or a predetermined outcome it didn't matter because one of the quarterbacks simply couldn't play. It was evident prior to training camp when the staff witnessed close up how incapable he was during the scheduled practice sessions. Tyrod wasn't simply better than EJ---he was immensely better than EJ. As an unabashed Tyrod critic I will go so far as to say that this downtrodden and stupid organization was very fortunate that they were able to get Tyrod when it did. The EJ option was not only untenable but a disaster in the making. 

Actually, if EJ plays all 16 games in 2015, it's likely we select Jared Goff or Carson Wentz in the top 2.