Tyrod named starting QB of Browns

With them naming Taylor the starting QB next season, Josh Allen is the perfect QB for them to draft......

Please Cleveland, I beg of you......please draft Josh Allen.  Look, I will admit there is some chance he is good someday, but there is a bigger chance he isn't.  Let him sit and learn and then, if he ever turns into anything of value, then play him. 

But, please, Cleveland.....draft Josh Allen.  I want him nowhere near the Buffalo Bills.

Edited by sven233
  • Like (+1) 1

I'm also surprised by this.  I figured Tyrod would start at least the first 12 games or so, and probably all year, but usually there's at least a pretense.  Or at least, they'd wait till after the draft, then name Tyrod the starter while specifically saying how they won't throw Rookie X to the wolves or whatever.

22 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

It's all fun and games until they are down by 7 with 5 min to go and they have 2 drives in a row where they can't even get a 1st down.

Eh, I think that's still a big upgrade over last year, where being within 7 only happened in the first 5 minutes of the game.

17 minutes ago, dezertbill said:

Agreed

This is where some coaches fall short.  While I can't blame Hue Jackson for finally being happy to have a competent QB, to make a statement that there IS no competition this early sends the wrong message.

While McDermott, no matter the player, makes it clear that they have to come in and compete for their job.

That's what they call creating a culture.  Jackson is creating a poor one, and why he has taken the  hit for the 1-31 record despite the talent issues the team has had.

I agree with this.  I totally understand the reasons Tyrod would start, but I think the better move is to at least give lip service to the idea that everyone has to compete for their job.

2 minutes ago, sven233 said:

With them naming Taylor the starting QB next season, Josh Allen is the perfect QB for them to draft......

Please Cleveland, I beg of you......please draft Josh Allen.  Look, I will admit there is some chance he is good someday, but there is a bigger chance he isn't.  Let him sit and learn and then, if he ever turns into anything of value, then play him. 

But, please, Cleveland.....draft Josh Allen.  I want him nowhere near the Buffalo Bills.

I agree with this as well.  I would think that if Cleveland really wants Allen, they could take Barkley 1st overall, then get Allen at 4, right?  Man, I'll feel bad for their fans if they just take Allen 1st overall.  Brutal.  Maybe he'll be the exception, but I doubt it.

Edited by Cash
  • Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

It's all fun and games until they are down by 7 with 5 min to go and they have 2 drives in a row where they can't even get a 1st down.

that will only be because all his receivers are blanketed.

they won't be open by 5 or 6 yards.....

2 minutes ago, sven233 said:

The funny part is Allen to the Browns ends any chance of him being good. Ha ha

The Browns should draft the safest guy they can. Nope, they will take the riskiest and count on the Browns culture to develop him.

• Haha (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

All that Jackson said is “we aren’t drafting Rosen or Mayfield.” Those other guys need some time.

If Cleveland would have had a qb such as Tyrod or even McCarron last year they would have won maybe four to six games. When basic qb competency is a major leap forward that tells you how bad they were at the position. 

My guess is that the Browns are going to use their first pick on Darnold and their next pick for either Fitzpatrick or Chubb, if he is there. If the Browns manage their assets (picks and cap space) wisely they can dramatically improve and give their brutalized fan base some hope. 

4 minutes ago, JohnC said:

If Cleveland would have had a qb such as Tyrod or even McCarron last year they would have won maybe four to six games. When basic qb competency is a major leap forward that tells you how bad they were at the position. 

My guess is that the Browns are going to use their first pick on Darnold and their next pick for either Fitzpatrick or Chubb, if he is there. If the Browns manage their assets (picks and cap space) wisely they can dramatically improve and give their brutalized fan base some hope. 

Probably all true, good take John!!

13 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Hue might believe that he is dead man walking if he doesn't improve dramatically in year one. So maybe he strays from the top three and trades down, then picks up more players that can help him this year. Dumb for the team in the long run but self-preservation.

Hue really has no say in what they do anymore. Dorsey probably told him to say this to throw a smokescreen on the qb at 1 idea. But I definitely believe it to the plan to not start their rookie QB because they just need to win some games. 

Blows me away that this cat has never had to compete for a starting job in his career.

Never got a chance in Baltimore.

Went through the motions to get to a pre-determined outcome in Buffalo.

Not even a fake competition in Cleveland.

Crazy stuff.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

Yep. It’s also all fun and games until his wideouts start getting frustrated with his reluctance to throw the ball. I can’t see Haley using a lot of timing concepts as a result. 

Tyrod is such a class act, I really hope they get some wins with him (so long as they're not playing the Bills).  It's hard not to root for the guy.  I want to dislike him so much b/c he is a pretty bad QB, but I just can't bring myself to do it.

• Like (+1) 1

Which rookie QBs has Todd Haley developed?

It wouldn't be the *worst* idea for Cleveland to take Barkely at 1, Minkah at 4, and Lamar Jackson at the top of Round 2... they probably won't do it, because passing on QBs has cost them over and over again during the past decade, but still...

36 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

How many the constant Tyrod bashers will get accounts on Browns message boards and spend as much time bashing him as they do here even when he is NOT our QB.

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Blows me away that this cat has never had to compete for a starting job in his career.

Never got a chance in Baltimore.

Went through the motions to get to a pre-determined outcome in Buffalo.

Not even a fake competition in Cleveland.

Crazy stuff.

You think he was the favourite to win the job in Buffalo?

I personally think he earned it over EJ. It helped with Kobb getting hurt in pre season as well.

2 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

You think he was the favourite to win the job in Buffalo?

I personally think he earned it over EJ. It helped with Kobb getting hurt in pre season as well.

I hate going down this road, but goddammit, you sucked me in.

EJ outperformed Taylor in both practice and preseason by leaps and bounds.

Rex wanted "his guy," and he got him.

Both EJ and Tyrod sucked.  And yes ... Tyrod turned out to be the better QB (that hurt to write).  But he never earned, nor did he compete for, the starting job.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1