Josh Rosen myths

7 minutes ago, drf1835 said:

The truth is somewhere in the middle. He likely had several teammates and coaches who raised their eyebrows at him, or were neutral to him, and the rest loved him and thought he was the greatest thing on earth. . You cannot please everybody, especially if one is very confident and honest, and who wants the best from his teammmates. The only way to please everybody is to have the talent of Rosen and the personality of Wally or Ward Cleaver.

I expect this is the case. Teams are huge. Hell, most of you guys probably played sports at some point. Some teammates probably thought you were a dbag. And you know that guy that you knew for sure was a dbag? Other guys were his buddy. Rosen seems like a driven guy who wants to succeed and is a blue chip prospect. The concussions are a concern, the rest is not. Just my $.02

Just now, Jay_Fixit said:

Dude, I’ve heard for years of the Josh Rosen attitude on local/west coast based radio shows out here. Even some interviews with players.

I get that he throws a nice ball and you like that, but there is some truth to this.

Not sure why we needed the PSA.

Just now, Jay_Fixit said:

Dude, I’ve heard for years of the Josh Rosen attitude on local/west coast based radio shows out here. Even some interviews with players.

I get that he throws a nice ball and you like that, but there is some truth to this.

Not sure why we needed the PSA.

Because I don't believe it's an issue

https://dailybruin.com/2018/01/10/wangs-word-unfounded-rumors-that-teammates-dislike-josh-rosen-should-not-affect-draft/

i know it's only 1 article but there are a bunch over the years

im not saying he's a choir boy... I'm saying his "problem" is a little over blown

5 minutes ago, N.Y. Orangeman said:

Or you can believe the guy who actually scouts and works for an NFL team for a living.  Your choice:   fake news or something actually grounded in fact from an expert.  SMH.

Who are you talking about here?

Are you SYH at yourself in a mirror? 

2 minutes ago, N.Y. Orangeman said:

Or you can believe the guy who actually scouts and works for an NFL team for a living.  Your choice:   fake news or something actually grounded in fact from an expert.  SMH.

Are you talking about the NFL scout who said Rosen is a mess off the field and needs to grow up? 

Rosen has admitted his personality won't be a fit for every team.

It's sloppy to label the concern with Rosen as a myth. It's legit. All the quarterbacks coming out have flaws. He is the best passer of the bunch but is he going to be the great divider or a captain? No one knows.

He also said his own coach has asked him a million times if he wants to be the next Peyton Manning or the next Johnny Manziel. 

Things that are not myths:

• he was raised in an affluent, and well educated Left Coast household
  • he is by all accounts very intelligent. There is considerable noise about his Liberal politics; given where he was brought up, this seems probable
  • he does not have a problem with challenging the status quo; even the Sporting News indicated how outspoken he is
  • his first sport was tennis, not another team sport like baseball or even basketball
  • he has chosen to leave his team a year early.
  • he is Jewish

You have a coach and entire culture that is built around accepting a process, and in fact I would think discourages those that choose to be outspoken. A head coach that values - highly - seniors in college. A head coach that praised Jesus Christ. In point of fact, his brand new backup QB bears a cross as a tattoo in the middle of his chest, and is a notable supporter of Donald Trump (or at least was). His new defensive lineman (and I have no idea of what he believes in regarding God) seems to be cut of a very close cloth mentally to McCarron.

Be aware, I am not saying that Coach McDermott is dictating faith to his players. I'm pretty sure that most of that locker room has no connection to God whatsoever; it is the nature of 28 year old men. And I am not saying that Jewish, outspoken, intelligent QBs can't accept a process and fall into line. I'm not even saying that McD and Beane are curating potential players based on faith or education levels.

I think it is reasonable, in fact, plainly obvious, that you are presenting a cultural clash by introducing Josh Rosen into that room. That everything about him screams that he is not the sort of guy McDermott and Beane have been shown to favor. Kyle Williams is loved by the coaching staff because he put everything on the line for his team; think about Kyle, think about McCarron, and think about Murphy and tell me you honestly cannot see where those dots might lead you away from Josh Rosen. 

Side note: I am trying very much not to make this about religion, but if you ignore completely the Jewish culture, it's Talmudic emphasis on both education and questioning the world around you, its stridently Left politics, well ... I think you are missing the point here completely. And for what it's worth - I think Josh Rosen will be a helluva professional QB. 

But culture comes first.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, MJS said:

All you have to do is look at Brady, the best QB of all time probably. How is his character? He is always throwing tantrums on the sideline, fighting with coaches and yelling at teammates. He sulks on the sideline after bad drives. He is a poor sport and sometimes leaves the field after a loss without shaking hands or congratulating the opposing team. He's a perfectionist that demands perfection from the guys around him and gets on their case if they aren't up to it.

So yeah, I couldn't care less about the "character concerns" for Rosen.

Greatest of modern era***

5 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Because I don't believe it's an issue

https://dailybruin.com/2018/01/10/wangs-word-unfounded-rumors-that-teammates-dislike-josh-rosen-should-not-affect-draft/

i know it's only 1 article but there are a bunch over the years

im not saying he's a choir boy... I'm saying his "problem" is a little over blown

Overblown is fine. But your thread makes it sound like it’s all false.

And it’s not.

1 minute ago, Tyrod's friend said:

Things that are not myths:

• he was raised in an affluent, and well educated Left Coast household
  • he is by all accounts very intelligent. There is considerable noise about his Liberal politics; given where he was brought up, this seems probable
  • he does not have a problem with challenging the status quo; even the Sporting News indicated how outspoken he is
  • his first sport was tennis, not another team sport like baseball or even basketball
  • he has chosen to leave his team a year early.
  • he is Jewish

You have a coach and entire culture that is built around accepting a process, and in fact I would think discourages those that choose to be outspoken. A head coach that values - highly - seniors in college. A head coach that praised Jesus Christ. In point of fact, his brand new backup QB bears a cross as a tattoo in the middle of his chest, and is a notable supporter of Donald Trump (or at least was). His new defensive lineman (and I have no idea of what he believes in regarding God) seems to be cut of a very close cloth mentally to McCarron.

Be aware, I am not saying that Coach McDermott is dictating faith to his players. I'm pretty sure that most of that locker room has no connection to God whatsoever; it is the nature of 28 year old men. And I am not saying that Jewish, outspoken, intelligent QBs can't accept a process and fall into line. I'm not even saying that McD and Beane are curating potential players based on faith or education levels.

I think it is reasonable, in fact, plainly obvious, that you are presenting a cultural clash by introducing Josh Rosen into that room. That everything about him screams that he is not the sort of guy McDermott and Beane have been shown to favor. Kyle Williams is loved by the coaching staff because he put everything on the line for his team; think about Kyle, think about McCarron, and think about Murphy and tell me you honestly cannot see where those dots might lead you away from Josh Rosen. 

Side note: I am trying very much not to make this about religion, but if you ignore completely the Jewish culture, it's Talmudic emphasis on both education and questioning the world around you, its stridently Left politics, well ... I think you are missing the point here completely. And for what it's worth - I think Josh Rosen will be a helluva professional QB. 

But culture comes first.

There's a lot going on here...but it's apparent that Rosen is being treated as a proxy chip in a political debate. That and apparently one's support or rejection of Trump has anything to do with Christianity. 

I expect that McBeane want hard working professionals who aren't lockerroom cancers. An NFL team is a large group of folks, many of whom lean left, and many who lean right. I don't think his politics have anything to do with the Bills' evaluation of him.  

26 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

You think they are myths. I bet there are a ton of teammates that hate the dude that just don't want to get involved.

The attitude is one thing, but there are questions about nerves in his shoulder.  Stay away.

Do you honestly think the Bills medical staff would not make detailed investigation of that before making a decision?

24 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Sorry man, you can shout from a mountain top as much as you want, you can say things are a “crock of ****” and even say that some rumors are false. 

But there is too much smoke to not have fire. And I’m not just saying this as the PAC-12 GURU, I’m saying this as someone who’s read and listened to multiple people speak regarding his personality etc.

You can even ask our resident UCLA season ticket holder LABillbacker and he’ll tell you the same.

Kid is talented. Looks like he was born to throw a football. But a lot of the “myths” you speak of have some truth to them.

If the Bills draft him, I’ll be excited because I know they’ve done their homework but there are concerns about his personality. Whether you believe it or not.

I don’t personally care about this but you can’t just claim them as myth.

agree, but i also kinda feel like a few knocks on a few diff guys are rather nit picky. I guess that goes with the talent of the class. The 13 class for example had a bunch of SERIOUS questions. This year with the talent being better, some things seem more trivial IMO

6 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

There's a lot going on here...but it's apparent that Rosen is being treated as a proxy chip in a political debate. That and apparently one's support or rejection of Trump has anything to do with Christianity. 

I expect that McBeane want hard working professionals who aren't lockerroom cancers. An NFL team is a large group of folks, many of whom lean left, and many who lean right. I don't think his politics have anything to do with the Bills' evaluation of him.  

fair enough... but just fwiw none of this OR that has anything even remotely close to do with throwing a football and his ability to do so. 

12 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Oh, because of one article.

Nothing left to see here folks. Close it down.

Or you could actually do your homework and read his previous posts from earlier in the year and see that the guy worked in the game both as a coach and a scout, with the latter involving him scouting QBs this year.  But that isn't you...

4 minutes ago, N.Y. Orangeman said:

Or you could actually do your homework and read his previous posts from earlier in the year and see that the guy worked in the game both as a coach and a scout, with the latter involving him scouting QBs this year.  But that isn't you...

I’ve been around Josh Rosen football for 3 years.  I’ve heard plenty of things about Rosen. Plenty more than a few articles

can provide.

In fact, you should probably just listen to me going forward. You probably just heard about Rosen last year, ya?

Edited by Jay_Fixit
  • Like (+1) 1