Who is the better bridge qb Tyrod or AJ McCarron?

11 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Starting QB and franchise QB are two different things. You can’t use them interchangeably. Tyrod will be a starter for a 4th consecutive season. You can’t say that “he is not a starter.”

I don’t know how many see Tyrod or McCarron as a franchise QB? I don’t see a lot of that on here (and never did). The franchise QB will hopefully be acquired in the draft. 

I am quite aware of the difference. Apparently we disagree. In my opinion AJ was brought on not as a “bridge“ or any other architectural structure. He was brought on to compete for the starting position and possibly lead this team to a Super Bowl. I am not saying he is a franchise quarterback. However he very well could be. He’s got a terrific skill set and, he has a mug load of intangibles that keeps on running  over. 

It may not happen but I wouldn’t bet against either. Also, when is this inaneNarrative that Taylor was ever a good quarterback going to end!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Figster said:

The rookie won't be starting IMO

Allen is a project...

We are taking a QB in the top 4 so it would have to be Rosen, Mayfield, or Darnold!  :rolleyes:

Now if we are waiting til the end of the first too get our QB then Allen it may be, but why would McBeane be trying to move up so much if they where drafting Allen?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mojo44 said:

I am quite aware of the difference. Apparently we disagree. In my opinion AJ was brought on not as a “bridge“ or any other architectural structure. He was brought on to compete for the starting position and possibly lead this team to a Super Bowl. I am not saying he is a franchise quarterback. However he very well could be. He’s got a terrific skill set and, he has a mug load of intangibles that keeps on running  over. 

It may not happen but I wouldn’t bet against either. Also, when is this inaneNarrative that Taylor was ever a good quarterback going to end!

He was paid half of what Josh McCown was paid!! He was paid in line with Brian Hoyer. That isn’t future QB money. It isn’t even what the placeholder QBs got!! It is backup money. I think McCarron has a chance to be a bridge guy and okay but let’s be real. 

I’m not sure the narrative that you are talking about. I said that he will be a starter for the 4th straight year. I’m not sure people are debating that. He was 23-20 as a starter. You could certainly do worse. The hope that we all have is that the guy you draft is better. There is obviously no guarantee. McCarron was brought here to raise the floor of Peterman and a rookie. 

1 hour ago, longtimebillsfan said:

Now that we have our "Bridge "QB, I got to thinking, did we trade Tyrod too soon?  I , for one, am glad that we signed AJ McCarron.  I am not a Tyrod hatter, but I can understand that McBeane wanted to move on from the Wrex experiment.  But  given the limited experience of McCarron and the fact that Tyrod did enough (with some luck) to get the bills to the playoffs, should we have kept TT as our Bridge?

No because there might possibly be no bridge and Tryod would have cost way to much to be a back up.  It will probably be a competition for the starting job.  Also, we got a guy locked up for 2 years on the cheap where Tyrod would have cost more and left after 1 season.  Thirdly, I think AJ will probably be a better qb than Tyrod.

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Bridge - Tyrod 

Bridge Quarterback - McCarron

Yes.  With the same roster Tyrod will win 1-2 more games a season.  But having a McCarron will be better for transition to the franchise quartback, in terms of e.g. development of pass protection schemes and recruitment of receiver free agents who want to keep their career stats up.  

40 minutes ago, macaroni said:

IMHO ...

I don't think McCarron was obtained to be a "bridge QB" (what ever the heck that is). McDermott is all about earning the right to compete. I think it was evident last season the Tylor was NOT the guy McDermott wanted to lead the Bills into the future, so I feel his and Beane's plan all along was to establish a QB room filled with young players with some sort of "upside" (what ever the heck that is) to compete for the starting job. That's not to say we aren't drafting a QB in the first round, or even trading up further for a "blue chip" (what ever the heck that means) QB. But keep in mind they will not let talent force them to over pay whatever value they have assigned to a particular player.

If I were to put on my Nostradumbass beanie, their plan is to trade up to pick #3 if their guy is available, and the Colts aren't expecting a kings ransom ... but I could easily see them staying pat at #12 and picking BPA until a QB coincides with their perceived value. I think their strategy is that it's more probable to succeed with three chances that one will stand out.

That is a good perspective.  I agree that McDermott and Beane are working their plan to perfection and will not overpay for players.

1 hour ago, Magox said:

I don't know, I will let you know at the end of the season.

You are a man of vision.LOL

McCarron + 65th pick + 6-7 million dollars more in cap space to surround the rookie with talent is a far better "Bridge QB" scenario than what we had a week ago.  I honestly believe that Tyrod will be a good stabilizing factor for Cleveland, but I like our chances of becoming more than just an annual Wild Card contender more today than I did last week. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I believe that Tyrod is a better player but McCarron, pick 65 and $6M (or whatever it is) in cap space is a superior situation. Once they trade up I think that they will be in much better shape at the position.

Beane has really set this team up nicely. They don’t have a ton of talent today but they have a lot of resources to add that talent. They have been responsible patient. It is an exciting time IMO.

Tyrod is only the better player because he is more of a known. McCarron has the potential to be better than TT.

Otherwise, this is the answer.

Edited by jmc12290

Just as many great fan as there are in Buffalo there are just as many loud mouths that think they know way more about football than they do. After the Jacksonville game I realized that we would have a new QB this year but how could you have anything but love for a guy who embraced the city went from carrer back up to 2x pro bowler and broke the playoff curse. It almost seems personal for some I wonder why 

Edited by Madd Charlie
  • Like (+1) 1

Remember it's McCarron, more cap savings AND the first pick in the 3rd round which we really need.

To be honest, most of the throws I've watched from McCarron has been AJ Green making him look good.  But he's got some talent and he's 4 year seasoned so I'd make that trade every time.   As much as I loved TT, the 3 point playoff game was a joke.

7 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

So hard to compare the two.  Totally different players.  The WR production will definitely be better with AJ but he lacks the running ability.  

He is QB. He should be expected to throw the ball. As long as he has some pocket presence, him being not as mobile as Tyrod isn't a bad thing. I want a QB that throws the ball!

23 minutes ago, Madd Charlie said:

Just as many great fan as there are in Buffalo there are just as many loud mouths that think they know way more about football than they do. After the Jacksonville game I realized that we would have a new QB this year but how could you have anything but love for a guy who embraced the city went from carrer back up to 2x pro bowler and broke the playoff curse. It almost seems personal for some I wonder why 

This. Tyrod may not ever have been the long term answer. But he did the best he could and the best he could with the weapons he had. Dont blame Tyrod for the that. Its like he was the Owner, GM and Coach and declared himself the starter because he is the boss. Tyrod did more for this team than many of QB's could have. 

25 minutes ago, Madd Charlie said:

Great Post.  I realize the Tyrod detractors just want the bills to win, but you are right.  We owe a great deal to TT and I wish him only the pest in his future career.

9 minutes ago, snamsnoops said:

He is QB. He should be expected to throw the ball. As long as he has some pocket presence, him being not as mobile as Tyrod isn't a bad thing. I want a QB that throws the ball!

Go watch tape of AJM and Tyrod throws. I think Tyrod actually throws a much better ball than him. It is overblown that Tyrod is not able to throw the ball. I think the issue was 1) Tyrod seemed to hesitate more the past couple years. Was this all on him? Coaching? Lack of WR's and comfort with them? 2) Playcalling - way to predictable and conservative. 3) Weapons? No #1 WR and really not even legit #2, at least healthy ones.

Go look at AJM tape. He is not he most accurate guy and does not have a ton of arm strength.  I see a lot of N Peterman in him. Without some help from WR/TE's in CInci I think AJM would not even be talked about. 

I will base this step by step from college to present. 

College: AJ McCarron was easily the better college player.

Time as a back up QB: AJM won 50% of his games as a back up and should've won the playoff game vs the Steelers. 

Taylor really didn't get much playing time and his trade value while with the Ravens was never talked about. Winner AJM.

At present Taylor has started 3 years in Buffalo and has ranked in the bottom 5 teams in passing yards for all 3 years. Their are a 100 other stats I could bring up but I will say his overall view as a QB is below average.

AJM has always been behind Andy Dalton, he has played well when Dalton has been injured. My opinion of AJM is that he will be the best QB out of all the FA QB's. I think he will be a upgrade over Taylor and is the better QB.

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I believe that Tyrod is a better player but McCarron, pick 65 and $6M (or whatever it is) in cap space is a superior situation. Once they trade up I think that they will be in much better shape at the position.

Beane has really set this team up nicely. They don’t have a ton of talent today but they have a lot of resources to add that talent. They have been responsible patient. It is an exciting time IMO.

Mc Beane set this up for an epic fail.....they don't have any talent except at secondary which thank goodness he could not mess up.......QB got on the cheap , traded valuable picks for two broken down receivers. This regime is over their head when the losses come in buckets because of our good ole boy drafting the pitch forks will come out. We need quality football players and to date we got older, lighter( in more ways than one) ,and talent drained in fact we   went down in quality across the board  based on every thing they touched so far.2-14 here we come Buffalo Browns