Trade Idea: AJ Klein

Klein was a McDermott guy in Carolina who filled in admirably for Keuchly he he was out. I thought he would be our first signing last year, but he signed with the Saints. He has proven to be a very poor fit for the Saints defense and got moved around all over the place and eventually to the bench. I think he has fallen out of favor in NO. After signing Demario Davis, I would think Klein would be available in a trade. 

The Saints would have to eat a lot of money if they cut him this year, but if they trade him, they only eat something like 2 million. It shouldn't cost much, something like a swap of picks or something. His stock is way down, but I think he has the potential to be much better for McDermott at the MIKE position. 

I don't love the linebackers on the open market and the Klein contract would be relatively cheap compared to some of the signings that are happening. If it doesn't work out, he can be easily cut after the 2018 season. 

Thoughts?  

16 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Klein was their leader before injury. No way they trade him. 

I know he was their heart and soul and such, but his play was not good for them. My thinking was that we could offer them a chance to get out of the contract. I think he holds more value with us than other teams because of the history. Just a thought  

5 minutes ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

Too many white guys. Don’t forget we also have matt Milano still

Patriots have been doing it for years!

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Were the Bills interested in him last year FA? I can’t remember. 

Nothing ever came out. We all kind of assumed. I thought his contract was way too rich, but compared to what guys are getting now, I would not mind it. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown

34 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I know he was their heart and soul and such, but his play was not good for them. My thinking was that we could offer them a chance to get out of the contract. I think he holds more value with us than other teams because of the history. Just a thought  

Would love to get him but I just don't see them trading a 26 year old leader of the defense. 

Maybe, who knows. 

7 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Would love to get him but I just don't see them trading a 26 year old leader of the defense. 

Maybe, who knows. 

You are probably right. I saw somewhere they might try to grab the Honey Badger and they need some edge help, so I was thinking cap space for them. Appreciate the feedback. 

16 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

You are probably right. I saw somewhere they might try to grab the Honey Badger and they need some edge help, so I was thinking cap space for them. Appreciate the feedback. 

I think it's a good idea.  They need cap space to go after Honey Badger.  They can draft a LB to replace Klein.  And we can draft a LB to compliment/start ahead of him if needed.  Would be a good trade, IMO>