What ya'll are getting with AJ

11 minutes ago, RollBillsRoll said:

Just joined up to share some thoughts on your new quarterback from a Bama alum and college football fanatic. I haven't followed the pro game closely since I watched my beloved Dan Marino, get owned by the early/mid 90's bills year after year, but I do keep up with the AFC casually. 

AJ is a legend in Tuscaloosa, a town with no shortage of legends. Most folks I know put him ahead of guys like Stabler and Namath when it comes to greatest all time Bama quarterbacks. Here is a couple of things scouting reports might not mention.

- Won 2013 Johnny Unitas and Maxwell awards.

-Finished 3rd in Heisman voting (I think)

-Led Bama to back to back Natty Championships...should probably have been a 3 peat if not for a kick six vs. Auburn

-Walked into Coach Saban's office as a TRUE FRESHMAN and wanted to know why he wasn't getting first team reps at practice...guy has balls and a ton of confidence.

-Broke down in tears on the sideline at LSU after throwing a game winning touchdown to TJ Yeldon in the closing moments. When asked why he was so emotional he replied "Because I want to win so bad FOR THESE FANS."

- Got into a televised shoving match with his center during the national title game vs. Notre dame...the center wasn't snapping the ball on time and AJ was fired up...oh yeah it was in the 4th quarter and we were up by 30 points...kid plays with fire and passion.

- Several former teammates have said publicly that there were many games where AJ refused to accept them taking a play off or loafing, even when they were up big most games. He is a fierce competitor.

- I have an uncle in Cincy who claims that many in the Bengals organization (including former OC) thought AJ gave them a much better chance to win than Dalton, but Dalton was the "franchise" guy and getting the big bucks.

-Told a local radio station in Birmingham a couple of months ago that he would play a year for league minimum if he was given a true chance to win a quarterback competition, which was never the case in Cincy

-Never once said a negative thing about Dalton or the Bengals, in fact he defended Dalton publicly last season when everyone was calling for him to be benched. He is a great locker room guy.

Again, I realize none of this translates into wins at the pro level, just wanted to give you some insight from someone who has followed him closely since 2008 when he was heavily recruited by everyone. I don't understand the economics of the NFL, but it baffles me when I see fans clamoring for a guy like Baker Mayfield, who will embarrass himself and an organization at some point (grabbing his crotch at an opponent on national tv, DUI's, etc.) Just because they think he is a "franchise" quarterback. His college stats don't blow away AJ's, arm strength, intensity, and leadership may be a wash, but AJ is has more prototypical QB size. Character and professionalism can not be compared, it ain't even close. I just don't understand why fans are clamoring for an AJ "mini me" with character issues.

Anyway, Good luck this season, i hope AJ wins a ton of games for ya'll, at the very least I hope he is given a chance to be the guy, and not just a seat warmer for the likes of Baker Mayfield.

I keep seeing Baker Mayfield and DUIs being posted over and over again.  Mayfield never had a DUI.  He was drunk in public.  Completely different animal.

Great post though.  Not surprising at all why he was appealing to Beane and McD.  What a bargain at $5M per year while the other guys are getting $10+ even $20+M deals.

AJ will get an honest, open shot to start here.  I have no doubt that McD is going to play the best player, regardless of their salary or draft pedigree.   AJ just has to show he's the best on the field now too.

Edited by Mark80

3 minutes ago, Tyrod's friend said:

His intelligence, his maturity, his passion, his faith ... he's a McDermott wet dream.

I don't honestly know how any Bills fan can read this and think for a second that the Bills want Josh Rosen in their lockerroom. 

I agree about how he's a McDermott-type guy.  

And thanks for the OP.   It's interesting information.

The starting job is McCarron's today.   It will be up to Peterman and the rookie to take it, if they can.   If Beane drafts well, the rookie will take in 2018 or 2019.   If McCarron is all that the OP says he is, the rookie will have to be pretty good to do it.  

• Like (+1) 6

Thanks RollBillsRoll, i'm a huge Bama fan (so much that i brought a wife back from there!) and have been calling for AJM for a long time.  I feel like he has 95% of Baker Mayfield's upside with almost none of his downside, and has the fire that the Bills havent had since the days of Jim Kelly

17 minutes ago, RollBillsRoll said:

Just joined up to share some thoughts on your new quarterback from a Bama alum and college football fanatic. I haven't followed the pro game closely since I watched my beloved Dan Marino, get owned by the early/mid 90's bills year after year, but I do keep up with the AFC casually. 

AJ is a legend in Tuscaloosa, a town with no shortage of legends. Most folks I know put him ahead of guys like Stabler and Namath when it comes to greatest all time Bama quarterbacks. Here is a couple of things scouting reports might not mention.

- Won 2013 Johnny Unitas and Maxwell awards.

-Finished 3rd in Heisman voting (I think)

-Led Bama to back to back Natty Championships...should probably have been a 3 peat if not for a kick six vs. Auburn

-Walked into Coach Saban's office as a TRUE FRESHMAN and wanted to know why he wasn't getting first team reps at practice...guy has balls and a ton of confidence.

-Broke down in tears on the sideline at LSU after throwing a game winning touchdown to TJ Yeldon in the closing moments. When asked why he was so emotional he replied "Because I want to win so bad FOR THESE FANS."

- Got into a televised shoving match with his center during the national title game vs. Notre dame...the center wasn't snapping the ball on time and AJ was fired up...oh yeah it was in the 4th quarter and we were up by 30 points...kid plays with fire and passion.

- Several former teammates have said publicly that there were many games where AJ refused to accept them taking a play off or loafing, even when they were up big most games. He is a fierce competitor.

- I have an uncle in Cincy who claims that many in the Bengals organization (including former OC) thought AJ gave them a much better chance to win than Dalton, but Dalton was the "franchise" guy and getting the big bucks.

-Told a local radio station in Birmingham a couple of months ago that he would play a year for league minimum if he was given a true chance to win a quarterback competition, which was never the case in Cincy

-Never once said a negative thing about Dalton or the Bengals, in fact he defended Dalton publicly last season when everyone was calling for him to be benched. He is a great locker room guy.

Again, I realize none of this translates into wins at the pro level, just wanted to give you some insight from someone who has followed him closely since 2008 when he was heavily recruited by everyone. I don't understand the economics of the NFL, but it baffles me when I see fans clamoring for a guy like Baker Mayfield, who will embarrass himself and an organization at some point (grabbing his crotch at an opponent on national tv, DUI's, etc.) Just because they think he is a "franchise" quarterback. His college stats don't blow away AJ's, arm strength, intensity, and leadership may be a wash, but AJ is has more prototypical QB size. Character and professionalism can not be compared, it ain't even close. I just don't understand why fans are clamoring for an AJ "mini me" with character issues.

Anyway, Good luck this season, i hope AJ wins a ton of games for ya'll, at the very least I hope he is given a chance to be the guy, and not just a seat warmer for the likes of Baker Mayfield.

Great post, welcome aboard! and ROLL TIDE!

I'm open to being impressed.  As of now, his body of work in the NFL is not much to go on, but we'll see.  The contract he signed is essentially for good backup money.  That means the Bills are planning for a rookie to come in and start pretty quickly.  The contract is only for two years.  That may be because McCarron's agent didn't want him to be locked in long term for backup pay.  If he's great and the rookie they draft is lousy, they can negotiate an extension. If he's not great, there are no long term cap problems.  Good for Buffalo, OK for McCarron.

Nice post. Baker Mayfield isn't as bad as the media is making him out to be. He is cocky but that isn't a terrible trait to have as a NFL QB. He has a lot of passion, the same passion for football as AJ! Kids make mistakes and hopefully he learns from it.

I would take Rosen, Mayfield or Darnold in the top 5 if we can find a partner. AJ will get a chance to compete and hopefully he wins the job this year. I don't think Peterman will push him so hopefully the rookie will!