What ya'll are getting with AJ

27 minutes ago, RollBillsRoll said:

Just joined up to share some thoughts on your new quarterback from a Bama alum and college football fanatic. I haven't followed the pro game closely since I watched my beloved Dan Marino, get owned by the early/mid 90's bills year after year, but I do keep up with the AFC casually. 

AJ is a legend in Tuscaloosa, a town with no shortage of legends. Most folks I know put him ahead of guys like Stabler and Namath when it comes to greatest all time Bama quarterbacks. Here is a couple of things scouting reports might not mention.

- Won 2013 Johnny Unitas and Maxwell awards.

-Finished 3rd in Heisman voting (I think)

-Led Bama to back to back Natty Championships...should probably have been a 3 peat if not for a kick six vs. Auburn

-Walked into Coach Saban's office as a TRUE FRESHMAN and wanted to know why he wasn't getting first team reps at practice...guy has balls and a ton of confidence.

-Broke down in tears on the sideline at LSU after throwing a game winning touchdown to TJ Yeldon in the closing moments. When asked why he was so emotional he replied "Because I want to win so bad FOR THESE FANS."

- Got into a televised shoving match with his center during the national title game vs. Notre dame...the center wasn't snapping the ball on time and AJ was fired up...oh yeah it was in the 4th quarter and we were up by 30 points...kid plays with fire and passion.

- Several former teammates have said publicly that there were many games where AJ refused to accept them taking a play off or loafing, even when they were up big most games. He is a fierce competitor.

- I have an uncle in Cincy who claims that many in the Bengals organization (including former OC) thought AJ gave them a much better chance to win than Dalton, but Dalton was the "franchise" guy and getting the big bucks.

-Told a local radio station in Birmingham a couple of months ago that he would play a year for league minimum if he was given a true chance to win a quarterback competition, which was never the case in Cincy

-Never once said a negative thing about Dalton or the Bengals, in fact he defended Dalton publicly last season when everyone was calling for him to be benched. He is a great locker room guy.

Again, I realize none of this translates into wins at the pro level, just wanted to give you some insight from someone who has followed him closely since 2008 when he was heavily recruited by everyone. I don't understand the economics of the NFL, but it baffles me when I see fans clamoring for a guy like Baker Mayfield, who will embarrass himself and an organization at some point (grabbing his crotch at an opponent on national tv, DUI's, etc.) Just because they think he is a "franchise" quarterback. His college stats don't blow away AJ's, arm strength, intensity, and leadership may be a wash, but AJ is has more prototypical QB size. Character and professionalism can not be compared, it ain't even close. I just don't understand why fans are clamoring for an AJ "mini me" with character issues.

Anyway, Good luck this season, i hope AJ wins a ton of games for ya'll, at the very least I hope he is given a chance to be the guy, and not just a seat warmer for the likes of Baker Mayfield.

Reading this almost makes me not want to draft a QB now. He’s going to be motivated knowing that there’s a blue chip prospect just waiting for him to !@#$ up

Edited by Seanbillsfan2206

I love this post.  One of the best parts of the college game is watching kids come out of high school and grow up as part of an organized and intentional football program.  You get a sense of their natural personalities and family backgrounds in a way that you just don’t see at the more polished pro level.  The personal insights make the games more enjoyable, victories more satisfying, and setbacks more gut-wrenching.  The Olympics tap into that sort of thing in a way. Anyway, great stuff – hopefully McCarron will thrive in Buffalo.

Great read. Thank you for posting this. 

I think AJ is going to do well for himself and the Buffalo Bills. He makes it so a rookie CAN start now...but maybe we don't need him to. Plus it's a short contract, so if he plays well he will hit FA about the time someone like Josh Allen is expected to be viable to start. Win/win.

If he's as passionate about football as it seems...he was made for Buffalo and he's going to love it here!

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Loved the entire post until the needless comparison with and attempt to prognosticate about Mayfield. 

I apologize, I shouldn't have posted that specifically about Mayfield, as I don't know him personally. I was watching football with my 8 year old daughter when they played the crotch grabbing clip, and I had to explain about sportsmanship, class, and maturity...Not the image of athletics I want my kids to have. Anyway, my bad.

The comparison was meant to be more of why Mayfield is considered franchise material? I have read he has an average arm, below average height, and has had some questionable off the field issues.  Yes he had great stats, but he played in the Big 12 where it seems they throw it every down...he never got his team to the big show.

AJ had great stats, even when playing in a ball control offense, has the same fire and leadership, and won 2 championships. Arm strength is similar, leadership is similar, AJ is bigger, has NFL playoff experience (should have gotten a win, thanks Bungles), yet he is considered a backup...I just don't get it, but again I am admittedly ignorant to the politics and economics of the NFL and the seemingly never ending search for a "franchise" quarterback (Johnny Manziel, anyone?) 

• Like (+1) 3

I have high hopes that this guy can be good for a couple years, while a rookie learns the pro game. Starting rookies almost never works. You ruin them quickly. If I were drafting QBs, I would put emphasis on how well they played against the best college teams. Winners are winners and you can't force that at the pro level. Accuracy and toughness are not something that can be coached, so those are next on the list. I'm not enamored of this QBs mechanics. He seems to flail around a lot, but he's fearless and I like that.

great post op, thanks. i have been wanting a.j. for quite some time and actually couldn't believe we passed him up in the draft. it was hard to believe guys in that draft fell so far. i also can't believe we got him on this contract.

however, someone posted a 2015? highlight video and while it was impressive, my thought was that i can see nate playing like that and actually having a quicker release. i am not, nor would  i even think about a.j. not being the unquestioned starter, but i do still hope we end up with baker mayfield.

i say that because we could very well have 3 good qbs on the roster and a year or 2 down the road parlay one of them into a good deal. either way i am extremely happy he's here.

7 minutes ago, RollBillsRoll said:

I apologize, I shouldn't have posted that specifically about Mayfield, as I don't know him personally. I was watching football with my 8 year old daughter when they played the crotch grabbing clip, and I had to explain about sportsmanship, class, and maturity...Not the image of athletics I want my kids to have. Anyway, my bad.

The comparison was meant to be more of why Mayfield is considered franchise material? I have read he has an average arm, below average height, and has had some questionable off the field issues.  Yes he had great stats, but he played in the Big 12 where it seems they throw it every down...he never got his team to the big show.

AJ had great stats, even when playing in a ball control offense, has the same fire and leadership, and won 2 championships. Arm strength is similar, leadership is similar, AJ is bigger, has NFL playoff experience (should have gotten a win, thanks Bungles), yet he is considered a backup...I just don't get it, but again I am admittedly ignorant to the politics and economics of the NFL and the seemingly never ending search for a "franchise" quarterback (Johnny Manziel, anyone?) 

Loved AJ when he came out of college. Would have snapped him up in the 3rd or 4th round in a heartbeat.

Why do people think guys like Mayfield are franchise material and Aj is not? Because people get caught up in the "flash" and highlight reels. (See Johnny Football)

With AJ, he played at Bama, that actually hurts him. People consider him a system guy, and cannot possibly be that good.

Looking forward to see him play.

Oh, yeah. ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!

Cannot wait for A Game. Hoping to see Tua grab the starting spot.

Great post. He fits the character profile that McDermott looks for. Trent Murphy is the same way. The locker room will be filled with leaders of men. FWIW I think Mayfield has the same kind of character, he takes it a little far sometimes but no one questions his drive to win.

• Like (+1) 1

To be honest, Stabler and Namath were the only Bama QBs to scrounge up for comparison.  It's not a school that creates QBs.

AJC may be a fierce competitor, but knocking Mayfield , who, in a moment of competitive passion (and in response to Kansas's bizarre refusal to shake his hand at the coin toss and for a late hit he took), gave his crotch and tossed an F-you to their bench after he threw a TD.

So what.  It continues to amaze me that so many here would rule him out as an option for Qb for this team ---over that!  Completely nuts!!

you don't think Phil Rivers cusses out everyone around him on both sides of the line of scrimmage every game he has ever played??

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, RollBillsRoll said:

I get that, especially in the context of parenting. I'll be honest that I'm probably a bit more eager to pounce on a Bama fan, given that I am an Irish fan and watched that national championship game live... I still turn off Sweet Home Alabama to this day, despite liking Lynyrd Skynyrd. But I digress.

I think with Mayfield, he has better than an average arm, his height is below average but nothing that will hold him back, and his off-the-field issues are not worrisome. I think Mayfield and McCarron both show signs that they could be successful in the NFL, and that they both possess the fire and drive you described McCarron as having. They both seem to motivate their teammates effectively. A lot of McCarron's success in college, while no doubt due to his play, is also the product of how stacked was his entire team. 

McCarron in college: 66.9% completed for 9,019 yards; 77 TDs; and 15 INTs

Mayfield in college: 68.5% completed for 14,607 yards; 131 TDs; and 30 INTs

Looks like Mayfield had a more productive, but less winning career than did McCarron. Like I said though, I think both have potential to be NFL starters. 

Agree with Mr WEO. I mean, if Jonhy Football had actually delivered on the field, who cares. Well alcoholism and drug addiction sure are no joke and can kill a career so he might be a bad example, but bottomline, being cocky ain't a deal killer for playing in the NFL! Do I personally like cocky self-centered player? Nope but what matters are results.

59 minutes ago, RollBillsRoll said:

Just joined up to share some thoughts on your new quarterback from a Bama alum and college football fanatic. I haven't followed the pro game closely since I watched my beloved Dan Marino, get owned by the early/mid 90's bills year after year, but I do keep up with the AFC casually. 

AJ is a legend in Tuscaloosa, a town with no shortage of legends. Most folks I know put him ahead of guys like Stabler and Namath when it comes to greatest all time Bama quarterbacks. Here is a couple of things scouting reports might not mention.

- Won 2013 Johnny Unitas and Maxwell awards.

-Finished 3rd in Heisman voting (I think)

-Led Bama to back to back Natty Championships...should probably have been a 3 peat if not for a kick six vs. Auburn

-Walked into Coach Saban's office as a TRUE FRESHMAN and wanted to know why he wasn't getting first team reps at practice...guy has balls and a ton of confidence.

-Broke down in tears on the sideline at LSU after throwing a game winning touchdown to TJ Yeldon in the closing moments. When asked why he was so emotional he replied "Because I want to win so bad FOR THESE FANS."

- Got into a televised shoving match with his center during the national title game vs. Notre dame...the center wasn't snapping the ball on time and AJ was fired up...oh yeah it was in the 4th quarter and we were up by 30 points...kid plays with fire and passion.

- Several former teammates have said publicly that there were many games where AJ refused to accept them taking a play off or loafing, even when they were up big most games. He is a fierce competitor.

- I have an uncle in Cincy who claims that many in the Bengals organization (including former OC) thought AJ gave them a much better chance to win than Dalton, but Dalton was the "franchise" guy and getting the big bucks.

-Told a local radio station in Birmingham a couple of months ago that he would play a year for league minimum if he was given a true chance to win a quarterback competition, which was never the case in Cincy

-Never once said a negative thing about Dalton or the Bengals, in fact he defended Dalton publicly last season when everyone was calling for him to be benched. He is a great locker room guy.

Again, I realize none of this translates into wins at the pro level, just wanted to give you some insight from someone who has followed him closely since 2008 when he was heavily recruited by everyone. I don't understand the economics of the NFL, but it baffles me when I see fans clamoring for a guy like Baker Mayfield, who will embarrass himself and an organization at some point (grabbing his crotch at an opponent on national tv, DUI's, etc.) Just because they think he is a "franchise" quarterback. His college stats don't blow away AJ's, arm strength, intensity, and leadership may be a wash, but AJ is has more prototypical QB size. Character and professionalism can not be compared, it ain't even close. I just don't understand why fans are clamoring for an AJ "mini me" with character issues.

Anyway, Good luck this season, i hope AJ wins a ton of games for ya'll, at the very least I hope he is given a chance to be the guy, and not just a seat warmer for the likes of Baker Mayfield.

Our OC, Daboll, is a Buffalo guy, he won't get caught up in the hype and I believe it was him that wanted a guy that has been around the NFL. McCarron is Tyrod 4 years ago with more conventional football skills and size. Thanks for the inside information, that is what I heard about McCarron but spread out over multiple sources. Buffalo fans are dying for a high 1st pick QB, Been awhile since we had a franchise guy. My bet is Buffalo uses picks were they are having landed this guy. After talking and being around him for a month they are going to figure out this IS their man. I can see grabbing a QB later 1st or top of 2nd round but position needs and McCarron's QB skills make the need MUCH less.

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

To be honest, Stabler and Namath were the only Bama QBs to scrounge up for comparison.  It's not a school that creates QBs.

You beat me to it (but I'd add Bart Starr), as did the poster who said coming out of Alabama hurts a QB.  Saban wants his QB's to be ballhandlers although Tagovailoa may force him to break the mold.  We all saw Saban throw Hurts aside at halftime of the championship game this year because ball handling the running game wasn't going to be enough.

Appreciate the OP because, all things considered between Bama and Cinci, nobody outside of practice knows what McC can do.

I too was surprised AJ was drafted so late.  I even said so on this very forum.  After he landed in Cincy I sort of lost track of him, and when the brouhaha started last year with the Browns he came back on my radar.  I said, there's a guy the Bills should grab, should be fairly cheap, and checks all the boxes, for me at least, in what this fan base would rally around.  I truly believe that Buffalo won the veteran QB FA this year, and when the dust settles, it won't even be close.

I see AJ winning the starting job over NP, and the rook,, but all in all, I really don't care who starts, all I care about is making it back to the dance, and then on to the show!  Or is it the other way around?  ;)

Go Bills!

Tim-

8 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

AJC may be a fierce competitor, but knocking Mayfield , who, in a moment of competitive passion (and in response to Kansas's bizarre refusal to shake his hand at the coin toss and for a late hit he took), gave his crotch and tossed an F-you to their bench after he threw a TD.

So what.  It continues to amaze me that so many here would rule him out as an option for Qb for this team ---over that!  Completely nuts!!

you don't think Phil Rivers cusses out everyone around him on both sides of the line of scrimmage every game he has ever played??

I'm with you here.

If they feel Mayfield isn't a good QB, on skill/talent/potential it's one thing.

To dismiss him over some fire in his belly while playing? That's just absurd.

Going NBA here, but Reggie Miller was a notorious trash talker, kobe Bryant too, so was Michael Jordan, and Larry Bird was one of the most disrespectful players EVER to opponents.

NFL? Michael Irvin, Deion Sanders, TO, Randy moss, John handle, Shannon Sharpe, Chad Johnson, Warren Sapp, all were trash talkers, and I would take any of them in a heartbeat.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I hope AJ is a pleasant surprise and might do well in a short passing scheme. I don't know where this strong arm talk is coming from, though. He isn't going to wow anyone with his arm strength or deep ball, but hopefully he can pick things up quickly. He also isn't going to do much running either. He's a lead foot lol. That's OK by me. Miami went undefeated with Bob Griese and he didn't have the strongest arm or footspeed either -- He made quick decisions and had good accuracy. If AJ can match that, he'll be solid.

Edited by GreggTX

1 hour ago, Tyrod's friend said:

His intelligence, his maturity, his passion, his faith ... he's a McDermott wet dream.

I don't honestly know how any Bills fan can read this and think for a second that the Bills want Josh Rosen in their lockerroom. 

Careful don't talk about faith and Rosens character issues or the far left will shut this thread down too!

• Like (+1) 3