Random Babble From a Rabble

6 hours ago, RollBillsRoll said:

Just an observation, but doesn't the backup qb get only a fraction of practice snaps during the season? So I imagine it would take a Herculean effort to come in off the bench and have instant chemistry with the receivers/oline in order to put up 300 yards per game. In fact, I would be willing to bet that the playbook was severely pared down, making it even more unlikely that a backup qb can come in a put up huge numbers in just a few weeks.

That's true, and actually was mentioned by the Iggles as a reason Foles struggled in the regular season games - then they had a 2 week bye leading into playoffs and BINGO!

but it's also true that they get a more complete look at the backup guy in preseason and TC so you'd think if McCarron was lighting people's hair on fire he would have escaped from the bench - 'cuz last season Dalton certainly wasn't.

13 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

Yes they get only a few. Sometimes they get none. Peterman got none fairly often. He would run the scout team which is something but it isnt the same as reps with the team.

Speaking fro myself, I always knew and read how backups get fewer reps in camp and practice etc. But it never really sunk in for me until I went to camp and saw it. One guy gets 75% of the practice and the other gets 25.  A "camp arm" guy we had one time got 2. 2 reps out of a 2 1/2 hour practice. He didn't have any chance at all to prove himself or get better.

Unless of course, there is the famed and feared "open QB competition" going on, in which case whoever will start is in the marvelous position of only having half or 1/3 of the reps the other team's starters get - works wonders for building their rappore, I tell ya.

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That's true, and actually was mentioned by the Iggles as a reason Foles struggled in the regular season games - then they had a 2 week bye leading into playoffs and BINGO!

but it's also true that they get a more complete look at the backup guy in preseason and TC so you'd think if McCarron was lighting people's hair on fire he would have escaped from the bench - 'cuz last season Dalton certainly wasn't.

Unless of course, there is the famed and feared "open QB competition" going on, in which case whoever will start is in the marvelous position of only having half or 1/3 of the reps the other team's starters get - works wonders for building their rappore, I tell ya.

On the Foles part : Makes sense. Peterman I think had 3 days (Not to make this a Peterman thread)

On the middle part re McCarron. The odds say he will not be so great. That's just reality. But how many times have you seen the starter go down and then be outperformed by the backup? That has happened plenty of times. The coaches down't always know because practice is practice and a game is different.

On the last part, that is self inflicted. Teams (and players) do that to themselves by SUCKING MOOSE EGGS at providing enough chance for guys to develop. I have a ranting post coming one day about that. My short response is "Nice excuse guys get the job done"

I read that one of the appeals of McCown is that he doesn't need many practice reps, because, you know, he is good at it by now. So they can let the backups practice more on the Jets.

13 hours ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

Ok so Im just a random non-premium seating, hot dog eating, man-on-the-streeting basic rabble fan.  

I just want to say a few things because I need to say something after that last few days. Those were stressy and exciting.

Being a Rabble is liberating because the things I say don't have to make sense, and I have no reputation to lose.

To all the press who made the mysterious tweets yesterday about the big, league shocking, stunning event that would be revealed, I won't forget that you did that. I think you got trolled too and didn't want to be left out, to seem like other knew and you didn't. So you made a mysterious tweet so you could say that you knew afterwards.

And I will remember the guys who kept their mouths shut because there was nothing to say.

I think it is cool that after that let down when nothing happened, that we were all delighted and stoked that we got AJ McCarron. We are pretty easy to please and so am I because I liked it too even though I know he is a 5th round drat pick who has been a backup and also nobody else took him. But I was happy go figure. (And a raspberry to you Mr Kelly the Dog! ;) )  What made it better is that late last night that my personal QB guru friend told me that we got the best available QB outside of Jimmy Garopolo.

Say what?? Now that sounds crazy I know but this fellow is right about QB more than anyone in the media. So that was cool. (And a rasberry to you Kelly the Dog let us have our fun the season will be here soon enough to shatter our dreams you monster).

The last time the Browns GM made a deal with the Bills, he got fired. I think that's why they are hiding McDermott. They kinda want him to forget that he made the Mahomes deal in KC with McDermott and then got kicked to the curb for his trouble. So all we are seeing is Beane.

The Browns GM will not take Barkely first. In short, because the top paid QB gets 3 1/2 times the money that the top running back does. So if he hits on the running back he saves ballpark 20 million dollars  by having him on a rookie contract for 4 years. If he hits on a qb he saves 100 million dollars over 4 years by having him on a rookie contract.

I think if McBeane didn't get lucky last year, and they really can scan the players and come up with undervalued guys who turn out great consistently, then they don't have to hurry and fill holes with a single draft.

I also think they are trying to invent a new angle. Which is that you come to Buffalo on a one or two year deal, and Buffalo makes you look good through good coaching and game planning, then you get to leave for your payday. That is going to be pretty appealing to players if they can keep doing that for them.

I am looking forward to the next few weeks of a slower paced free agency. I think they will make a move or two more. But the last few days was a bit too exciting even hough I enjoyed it. It messed with my sleep and everything. 

You gotta get over to the DMV.

Just now, BadLandsMeanie said:

Im not picking up on what you mean here.

The DMV is best known for long lines and inefficiency but its where the real football news is being shared.  Schefter, Mort, Clayton, and Tipster are all there sharing the muck thats fit to rake.  

Check out the the Don't shoot the messenger thread.

14 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

But how many times have you seen the starter go down and then be outperformed by the backup? That has happened plenty of times. The coaches down't always know because practice is practice and a game is different.

Trent Green tears ACL in preseason and is replace by backup QB Kurt Warner who goes on to win the Super Bowl in addition to being named the league and Super Bowl MVP. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, RememberTheRockpile said:

Trent Green tears ACL in preseason and is replace by backup QB Kurt Warner who goes on to win the Super Bowl in addition to being named the league and Super Bowl MVP. 

Tommy Maddux goes down week 1 and Ben Roethlisberger goes on to win the super bowl and sexually assault as many as 17 women.

Kyle Boller goes down in camp and TRoy smith is sick.  Joe Flacco starts week 1 of his rookie year.  Goes on to win a super bowl.

Russel Wilson wins camp battle over Matt Flynn and TAvaris Jackson. Wins super bowl in year 2.

Drew Bledsoe goes down in week 2.  Tom Brady goes on to win the Super Bowl and is considered the best QB on NFL history.

10 hours ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

I have to run so I will just make two brief remarks in rapidly and then maybe revisit later.

(....)

As for any running back #1 overall. This isn't 1970 is another short answer. The pay scale was just shorthand. It is about the value.

This year especially someone will pay 3 firsts or the equivalent for that #1 spot and no running back is  worth that nowadays. Maybe I am stupid, silly, and wrong, but I think it would be crazy.

If I were the Browns, I would draft a QB #1 overall and take my chances - if Barkely were available at #4 I might take him then.

But depending upon who the Browns favor, how they perceive him as rated around the league, and  so forth...I could see them deciding to draft Barkley #1 AND take their QB at #4

At some point, you have to stop collecting picks and cap space, and start collecting players.

13 hours ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

I think if McBeane didn't get lucky last year, and they really can scan the players and come up with undervalued guys who turn out great consistently, then they don't have to hurry and fill holes with a single draft.

I know you said you were rabbling, but it's still annoying when you make absolutely no sense every other sentence.

1 minute ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

I know you said you were rabbling, but it's still annoying when you make absolutely no sense every other sentence.

Hey thanks! So you thin I make sense 50% of the time? That's a new record for me.  :) 

10 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Not sure why I got the raspberries, except for the fact you're a meanie. ;)  I'm on record in several threads as saying it's a good signing. I just don't want him to be the starter. He's just what we need as a backup, which clearly by his contract he was signed to be.

Don't act innocent. You pooh poohed him! You pooh poohed AJ McCarron, hero of TWO national championships, one the VERY DAY that we signed him. 

We were trying to be happy. I took it fairly well but Binghamton Beast was in tears.

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If I were the Browns, I would draft a QB #1 overall and take my chances - if Barkely were available at #4 I might take him then.

But depending upon who the Browns favor, how they perceive him as rated around the league, and  so forth...I could see them deciding to draft Barkley #1 AND take their QB at #4

At some point, you have to stop collecting picks and cap space, and start collecting players.

I will counter by saying at some point you have stop being the Browns.

Sacrificing all that time and saving up, only to ultimately take a running back at #1, and then whatever quarterback was left over at #4, would be the most idiotically stupid thing I have ever seen a team do.

I would say your plan of taking your qb at #1 then Barkely at #4 would not be bad at all.

26 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

Don't act innocent. You pooh poohed him! You pooh poohed AJ McCarron, hero of TWO national championships, one the VERY DAY that we signed him. 

We were trying to be happy. I took it fairly well but Binghamton Beast was in tears.

Just because he stinks doesn't mean I don't like him! Tyrod stunk a lot of the time. Eric Wood did. Even McDermott did and I liked them! :D

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

How fair of a chance was he really given to start over the guy they had just signed to a $16M/yr Franchise contract? You think the Bengals wanted any chance at that QB controversy?

And Marvin Lewis is pretty damn loyal to his guys

31 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

Sacrificing all that time and saving up, only to ultimately take a running back at #1, and then whatever quarterback was left over at #4, would be the most idiotically stupid thing I have ever seen a team do

Unless of course, the guy at #4 is the QB you wanted, he succeeds in the NFL and has a HOF career supported through most of it by his HOF running back.

Then it would be brilliant. :P

It would have to rely on some pretty careful intel - that, say, one or both of the teams at #2 and #3 don't plan to take a QB, and don't plan to trade out, and/or that the teams most likely to trade up and take a QB favor a different guy than you favor.  The way Hue Jackson talked and was so definite that Tyrod is his starter, it wouldn't shock me if their #1 is someone who needs to sit.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Unless of course, the guy at #4 is the QB you wanted, he succeeds in the NFL and has a HOF career supported by his HOF running back.

And that's highly likely considering it's the Brownies. Pretty much a lock at this point.

1 hour ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

Im not picking up on what you mean here.

Yesterday some  guy said he heard a rumor from a DMV guy that knew a guy who owns a bar in Buffalo .

All the good tips and info are at the DMV ;) 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

Tommy Maddux goes down week 1 and Ben Roethlisberger goes on to win the super bowl and sexually assault as many as 17 women.

Kyle Boller goes down in camp and TRoy smith is sick.  Joe Flacco starts week 1 of his rookie year.  Goes on to win a super bowl.

Russel Wilson wins camp battle over Matt Flynn and TAvaris Jackson. Wins super bowl in year 2.

Drew Bledsoe goes down in week 2.  Tom Brady goes on to win the Super Bowl and is considered the best QB on NFL history.

Well played!

• Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Unless of course, the guy at #4 is the QB you wanted, he succeeds in the NFL and has a HOF career supported through most of it by his HOF running back.

It would have to rely on some pretty careful intel - that, say, one or both of the teams at #2 and #3 don't plan to take a QB, and don't plan to trade out, and/or that the teams most likely to trade up and take a QB favor a different guy than you favor.  The way Hue Jackson talked and was so definite that Tyrod is his starter, it wouldn't shock me if their #1 is someone who needs to sit.

That would be some pretty careful intel indeed! Putin level intel. Hmm.

23 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

And that's highly likely considering it's the Brownies. Pretty much a lock at this point.

lol good one

14 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

Yesterday some  guy said he heard a rumor from a DMV guy that knew a guy who owns a bar in Buffalo .

All the good tips and info are at the DMV ;) 

Thank you sir .

2 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

You're not a rabble, Meanie. Just a member of one.

Hey cool thanks Thurman. It feels good to belong!