Browns are going QB with 1st pick

The Bills have to be as prepared as they can be for any possible scenario if they have visions of trading up for a top QB.  The question we can answer is, are they locked into a particular one of the top three or four, or do they think any one of two, three or four would be acceptable.  If it is the former, they have reason to be pretty nervous.

2 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I am seeing some crazy logic that they would not draft Barkley because they drafted Hyde. Hyde, at this point, is a change of pace back.

A 3 year, $15 million change of pace back?  I’m not going to pretend to be an expert on RB salaries but that seems pretty steep.

I just checked RB salaries and with Hyde’s new contract he is the 11th highest paid back in the league.  I don’t see that as a change of pace contract.

2 hours ago, stony said:

There's no way the new regime doesn't take  QB at #1.  That's why there's a new regime, because the guys before them didn't pull the trigger.  

So you're saying the Browns are going to pass on the best player to play the most difficult position in all of pro sports, because they traded for TT so they can groom a less talented player to play the most difficult position in all of pro sports.  

The fault in your logic is that the Browns have both the #1 and the #4 pick. That the Browns have hinted that they were "open" to trading the #1 suggests that they don't think one of the QBs is so special they have to have him.   If the Browns don't love a particular QB, then why would they take him #1 over Saquan who is easily the best prospect in the draft?  It's not like they don't get another crack at a QB until round 2.

6 minutes ago, SoTier said:

The fault in your logic is that the Browns have both the #1 and the #4 pick. That the Browns have hinted that they were "open" to trading the #1 suggests that they don't think one of the QBs is so special they have to have him.   If the Browns don't love a particular QB, then why would they take him #1 over Saquan who is easily the best prospect in the draft?  It's not like they don't get another crack at a QB until round 2.

When have the Browns hinted they were "open" to dealing #1?

If the top QB on the Browns board is Josh Allen they almost certainly can get him at #4 and would no doubt take Barkley at #1. Barkley is the best player in this draft and all of the top 5 QB's have a few warts.

Allen - Accuracy

Darnold - Turnover machine in both high school and college

Jackson - Accuracy

Mayfield - Size and over the top cockiness

Rosen - Attitude and concussion issues

Granted the Browns just signed Hyde but he is nowhere close to being the RB that Barkley will be. Duke Johnson had every opportunity to beat out Crowell the last couple of years but never was able to do so. Barkley would be the starter with Hyde as the short yardage/goal line guy and Johnson would be the inexpensive insurance policy.

signing hyde & TT allows browns to go in any direction.

they now have a huge hole at LT

if i was browns.....i'm picking QB at #1.......i don't care how good that RB is

i'm not interested in the 3rd best QB at #4. i would trade out of #4.

Browns need to just draft the top QB on their board. 

If they want Barkley that bad, they can trade up to get him at 2 as they have tons of draft ammunition.

If I were them, I would not mess around with the QB position once again. Just pick whoever they think is best, and either trade up to get Barkley if they love him that much, or pick Chubb or Fitzpatrick at 4.

Edited by billsfan11

Ingram and Kamara make less combined than Hyde does with his new contract. It just seems like a big contract for Hyde to be a change of pace back.

Browns will take a QB ( probably Darnold ) at #1. Giants will not pass on Barkley, the surest game-changing talent in this draft. That means the Colts pick at #3 should be the trade target for the Bills. We don't know if Darnold or whomever is their top QB though. If another team trades into that spot, I'm not convinced the Bills try to get to the top 5. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Nor should there be. 

This is so obvious that it's kinda funny that it's actually being debated.

1 hour ago, frostbitmic said:

If the top QB on the Browns board is Josh Allen they almost certainly can get him at #4 and would no doubt take Barkley at #1. Barkley is the best player in this draft and all of the top 5 QB's have a few warts.

Allen - Accuracy

Darnold - Turnover machine in both high school and college

Jackson - Accuracy

Mayfield - Size and over the top cockiness

Rosen - Attitude and concussion issues

Granted the Browns just signed Hyde but he is nowhere close to being the RB that Barkley will be. Duke Johnson had every opportunity to beat out Crowell the last couple of years but never was able to do so. Barkley would be the starter with Hyde as the short yardage/goal line guy and Johnson would be the inexpensive insurance policy.

They are taking Darnold, and it is the right move. He is really good and only 20 years old. The Bills would love the chance to get Darnold - I can almost guarantee you that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Had they not signed Hyde I think the Browns would have taken Barkley #1 overall.  It's still a possibility but to me now it is less likely because they can still get a back like Juice in the 1st round.  I think the Browns where they are sitting now, will take Sam Darnold or Josh Allen #1 overall.  They will definitely entertain several offers for the #4 pick.  This is why the Bills IMO need to get to #3.  If the Bills get to #3 they can take their pick of Rosen or Mayfield or whoever is not selected by the Browns.  I don't want Allen, I've made that known lol.  But the Beane and McD will select the best guy that fits in with what they are building.  Denver or NYJ or Miami or Arizona will be selling their lives to Cleveland at the 4.  The Browns could sell 4 to either Denver or NYJ and still get Fitzpatrick at CB and pick up an extra 3rd round pick (the one the lost to us).

Right now if I had to predict the way the draft would go in the first 4 picks I'd say:

1.  Browns - Darnold

2.  Giants - Barkley

3.  Trade Alert

4.  Trade Alert

The tricky part is figuring out 3 and 4.  

4 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

The Browns have a lot of cap space but they have a lot of holes to fill too. Barkley can do it all, run, pass protect, and catch passes.  The only time he’s coming off the field is for a quick breather now and then.  I just don’t think they need Duke Johnson and Carlos Hyde to split the handful of snaps a game he’s not on the field.

Duke Johnson is really more redundant to Jarvis Landry. Also, Hue egregiously ignores him. #FreeDuke

Edited by YoloinOhio