Browns are going QB with 1st pick

I would think the Bills will have a 1a and 1b on their board when it comes to qb.  There is always a risk someone takes your guy, but the bigger risk is not getting into the top four to pick at all.

Unless they really love one of the QB prospects, I think the Browns take Saquan at #1 and then grab a QB at #4.  IMO, the Giants want Barkley, and Cleveland knows that.  I don't think they're all that interested in a QB, especially if the Browns take the one they like best, so they could be open to trading down.

12 minutes ago, Charlottebillsfan2 said:

You do realize they also traded us for TT right? Why would the Browns trade for a starting QB and then use the first pick on QB? I think you just said the same thing about the RB position.

TT is starting at QB and they want to draft a QB to be groomed behind him (most likely with the 4th pick). Barkley inserted into that roster with TT and their WR's allow them to compete now. My money is Barkley is going one to them. Hue is going to want to run the ball and having Hyde and Barkley allows him to do that.

Browns can compete now and still build for the future.

He isn't a starting QB...

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Zebrastripes said:

I think this actually only leaves Indy at 3 to trade with.  Browns take Darnold, Giants take Barkley, and then the Browns cannot pass up on Fitzpatrick or James at 4.  Only question is does Indy what Chubb that bad or are they willing to gather up more picks and speed up th3 building of their D.

I don't think Cleveland will really be interested in Fitzpatrick after acquiring Randall and having Peppers on the roster already. James is a different story, but they could probably trade down and get him later on. Assuming that Cleveland goes QB at #1, I'd guess they see if Chubb/Barkley are there at 4, and if they aren't, they trade down.

Barkley is the BPA.  He's by far a better RB, than any of the QBs on offer are as QBs. 

The Bills have been pulling off shocking deals that make sense in hindsight.  How about our #12, a 2nd rounder, plus more, AND SHADY for the Browns' #1 -- the Bills which always have a strong run game lock in our next great long-term back for the next 8 years.

I know, this probably won't happen but it could be they think both Peterman and McCarron are capable guys.  Not all the teams that win have the top-notch QB we want -- some do it with great defense and a good running game. 

I'm not even advocating for this, just pointing out there's another path forward that no one is considering.

51 minutes ago, JXCOL3 said:

There is no way the browns pass on Barkley with the first pick. They could still grab a QB at 4 or use a few of their picks to get to two and take Barkley and the QB of their choice.

There's no way the new regime doesn't take  QB at #1.  That's why there's a new regime, because the guys before them didn't pull the trigger.  

25 minutes ago, Charlottebillsfan2 said:

You do realize they also traded us for TT right? Why would the Browns trade for a starting QB and then use the first pick on QB? I think you just said the same thing about the RB position.

TT is starting at QB and they want to draft a QB to be groomed behind him (most likely with the 4th pick). Barkley inserted into that roster with TT and their WR's allow them to compete now. My money is Barkley is going one to them. Hue is going to want to run the ball and having Hyde and Barkley allows him to do that.

Browns can compete now and still build for the future.

So you're saying the Browns are going to pass on the best player to play the most difficult position in all of pro sports, because they traded for TT so they can groom a less talented player to play the most difficult position in all of pro sports.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, mattynh said:

The bills should try and get pick one which is unlikely.   Then work the giants for pick 2.  That should be the pick they go after.  

The Browns are a better match to trade with the Giants for #2, not the Bills.  It could get done with this package:

1st Round: No. 4 overall

2nd Round: No. 35 overall (3rd in round)
2nd Round: No. 64 overall (32nd in round)

That would guarantee the Browns their top QB and Barkley with seven more picks.

2nd Round: No. 33 overall (1st in round)
4th Round: No. 101 overall (1st in round)
4th Round: No. 123 overall
5th Round: No. 138 overall
5th Round: No. 159 overall
6th Round: No. 175 overall
7th Round: No. 219 overall

Just saw this on CBS.  Do the Browns really like Allen?

1. Cleveland Browns

............... Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming: There is an argument the Browns could not take a quarterback after getting Tyrod Taylor, but getting Taylor makes it even easier to stand up at the top of the draft and take a quarterback who you don't need to play right away. Allen mimicks the Chiefs draft of Patrick Mahomes very nicely. 

2. New York Giants

...............Quenton Nelson, OL, Notre Dame: Dave Gettleman is going to stay here and take a blue-chip player who can help the Giants right away. It will either be Nelson or Barkley, and after missing out on Andrew Norwell in free agency, he leans for the nasty Notre Dame guard. 

3. Buffalo Bills (via MOCK TRADE with Indianapolis Colts)

................Sam Darnold, QB, USC: A really well-played offseason by the Bills here, as a slew of trades and movements ultimately results in them being able to package a bunch of picks, move up and grab their quarterback of the future. Legions of draftniks shriek about Darnold's tiny little hands in the harsh Buffalo weather.

4. Cleveland Browns (via Houston Texans)

.................Bradley Chubb, DE, NC State: Tough choice here between Chubb and Barkley, but the Browns land the best player in the draft at No. 4 and suddenly they are cooking with GAS on their defensive line. 

5. Denver Broncos

................Baker Mayfield, QB, Oklahoma: The Broncos signed Case Keenum in free agency and gave him a lot of money but that certainly doesn't prohibit them from drafting someone else at the top. John Elway's been all over Mayfield this offseason. 

6. New York Jets

...............Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA: The Jets definitely can't be ruled out from taking a quarterback either, despite grabbing Teddy Bridgewater and Josh McCown in free agency. 

7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

..................Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn State: This feels crazy. Barkley's considered a potential top pick in this draft. But if the Colts trade down and the Giants don't take him, he could fall. The Buccaneers cut Doug Martin and might swoop on this. 

2 minutes ago, napmaster said:

The Browns are a better match to trade with the Giants for #2, not the Bills.  It could get done with this package:

1st Round: No. 4 overall

2nd Round: No. 35 overall (3rd in round)
2nd Round: No. 64 overall (32nd in round)

That would guarantee the Browns their top QB and Barkley with seven more picks.

2nd Round: No. 33 overall (1st in round)
4th Round: No. 101 overall (1st in round)
4th Round: No. 123 overall
5th Round: No. 138 overall
5th Round: No. 159 overall
6th Round: No. 175 overall
7th Round: No. 219 overall

This leave the opportunity for other teams to trade up to #2 and #3.  Pick #4 with the browns could also be possible but they need to get as high as possible now or they risk not getting their guy.   The Jets and Broncos could trade up as could other teams not being considered.  They have done all this work to get the draft capital, its not time to cheap out.   If they are unable to make a deal and the chips fall right on draft day maybe you make a deal with the Browns at #4 but they would have to get luck.

We all better hope and pray the Browns take Barkley with the first pick. 

If that happens then the Giants are in play at 2 because they need a RB and if Barkley is gone they are open for business. The Colts are there for the edge rusher and if he's gone then they are open for business. 

If the Browns go QB with the first pick the Giants aren't moving and they will take Barkley, then the Colts will take the edge rusher and the Browns at 4 are going to take BPA, and here is where the problems start for the Bills, because if they can't move up from 12 there are 6 possible QB needy teams ahead of them.

1 hour ago, JXCOL3 said:

There is no way the browns pass on Barkley with the first pick. They could still grab a QB at 4 or use a few of their picks to get to two and take Barkley and the QB of their choice.

There is no question in my mind that they will pass on Barkley.  They have ignored the position for too long and they will want to get the best prospect, not just one of the prospects.  

If the Browns go Barkley at 1, they’re going qb at 4.  Giants grab Barkley at 2 and that only leaves Colts at 3 to trade with.

If Browns go QB at 1,  then the Giants grab Barkley at 2. That leaves possibility of Colts at 3 to trade with and Browns at 4 to trade with.

Better for us if Browns go QB at 1.

The Browns are going to draft Sam Darnold no. 1.  That's why they traded for TT...and we already have the no.4 pick agreed upon with them.  Stop and think about it for a minute...

They gave us the 1ST PICK IN THE 3RD for TT!

They did that without making us pay the 6 mil. bonus!

We had the deal already done for no. 4 with the caveat that we get up higher in the 1st. Done...moved to 12.

We will give them no.12 and their no.65 back plus our second next year or Shaq Lawson.

The Giants will take Barkley.....maybe Rosen.  That will leave Elway wanting to sell downtown Denver to Indy for no.3 to get Rosen or maybe Mayfield  but.......not so fast there big John because now we have the no. 4 pick and since we signed A.J., Mcbeane can always tell Indy....

Go ahead and trade with Denver and if they snatch up Mayfield, we will gladly take Chubb! If the Giants take Rosen and they trade spots with Denver, that drops Barkley into our laps and ka ching!......They stand pat and we get Mayfield!

These guys we have are playing their cards perfectly!

This is how it is going down. The bills couldn't make this public for obvious reasons. They had to wait for all the FA QBs to land, get moved up a ways and sign A.J.....and remember, it's only a 2 yr. deal...hint.

The worst possible scenario is we use no.12 and pick Rudolph at 22 or White/Faulk etc later. One other thing is that even if we are stuck with 12 and miss out on the top 4, we can always trade back still have 2 1st rounders and gain picks for next year. These guys got their sh!!t in one bag that's for sure!

Edited by billsredneck1

It's pretty clear the Browns choices are Darnold or Allen.  I'd have to believe it'll be Darnold, but you just never know.

I think we'll trade up with NYG to #2.

1) Cle - Darnold

2) Buf - Rosen (admittedly personal preference, could be Allen)

3) Indy - Barkley

4) Cle - Likely Fitzpatrick could be Chubb

5) Den - Mayfield or Allen or Rosen

6) NYJ - Mayfield or Allen or Rosen

7) TB - likely whoever between Chubb / Fitzpatrick

8) Here's where I could see the Giants coming back up from 12 to get Nelson (or Chubb / Fitzpatrick if Nelson is gone)

Basically the Giants can get #12 / #22 / #56 / #65 from us for #2, then use #12 / ~#66 to get one of the guys they are likely considering at 2 (if they aren't going QB) in the 7-9 range. 

29 minutes ago, stony said:

There's no way the new regime doesn't take  QB at #1.  That's why there's a new regime, because the guys before them didn't pull the trigger.  

So you're saying the Browns are going to pass on the best player to play the most difficult position in all of pro sports, because they traded for TT so they can groom a less talented player to play the most difficult position in all of pro sports.  

No I was using the same rational as the OP about why would the browns sign Hyde and draft a rb. Why would they sign TT and draft a QB. I would do both. That's why I think they go Barkly one and QB 4. That's what I wrote.

1 hour ago, Inigo Montoya said:

The Browns wouldn’t have signed Carlos Hyde if they were going to draft Barkley.  It makes no sense to have Barkley, Hyde, and Duke Johnson all on the roster.

This is great news for the Bills!

I think Beane wants to trade up, and he has the ammo, but they need to find a dance partner.  We need to get one of the first four picks because I think the Broncos and Jets are both going qb and and there is no guarantee our qb will be there after that. (I don’t think the Jets would deal with us anyways).

If the Browns take Barkley with the 1st pick, they will use the 4th pick to snag their qb, so picks 1 and 4 are gone.  Do the Giants pass on the best qb on their board with an aging Eli?  Dicey at best.  That leaves only one pick left to try and trade up for, the Colts at 3.

If the Browns take a qb with the 1st pick, I don’t think the Giants can pass on Barkley at 2.  That leaves the Colts at 3 again and the Browns at 4.  I think the Browns would be more likely to deal that pick with their qb already in the fold and Barkley gone.

Actually that is not great news. We lose a potential draft partner in the Giants. The Giants will take Barkley in a nano second.

That leaves us with the Colts.

The Browns will take Barkley 1st overall. I also believe the Browns will take Baker Mayfield at 4.

Just a hunch.

2 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

It's pretty clear the Browns choices are Darnold or Allen.  I'd have to believe it'll be Darnold, but you just never know.

I think we'll trade up with NYG to #2.

1) Cle - Darnold

2) Buf - Rosen (admittedly personal preference, could be Allen)

3) Indy - Barkley

4) Cle - Likely Fitzpatrick could be Chubb

5) Den - Mayfield or Allen or Rosen

6) NYJ - Mayfield or Allen or Rosen

7) TB - likely whoever between Chubb / Fitzpatrick

8) Here's where I could see the Giants coming back up from 12 to get Nelson (or Chubb / Fitzpatrick if Nelson is gone)

Basically the Giants can get #12 / #22 / #56 / #65 from us for #2, then use #12 / ~#66 to get one of the guys they are likely considering at 2 (if they aren't going QB) in the 7-9 range. 

I’m not sure who pics what but I do agree that the Bills have to get to #2 to get the QB they want.