Lost in QB buzz... No help at WR or TE

Agree, with the season starting next week, this team looks like it was assembled in March.  

25 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

Bs.       Brady w Clay Shady Zay and KB would kick all sorts of butt 

Without reviewing rosters, I'd say the Bills are no worse than average with that current roster of receivers.  

Edited by Max Fischer

1 hour ago, jpsp3434 said:

I need to keep telling myself that it is still early in free agency and the 2nd wave is still to come.  Also I have never liked drafting WR as it seems it takes them a couple years to get acclimated to NFL cornerbacks.  My opinion.  Hopefully in this 2nd wave we sign a legitimate #2 speed receiver who has been around the block so to speak.  Also I wouldn't mind us drafting a TE to be heir apparent to Clay.

....agree.......the "legal" tampering and 4:01PM feeding frenzy is over with plenty of crazy money being thrown around.....McBeane is a value shopper..............

10 Worst Deals From Early NFL Free Agency Frenzy

https://sportsnaut.com/2018/03/worst...agency-frenzy/

6 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....agree.......the "legal" tampering and 4:01PM feeding frenzy is over with plenty of crazy money being thrown around.....McBeane is a value shopper..............

10 Worst Deals From Early NFL Free Agency Frenzy

https://sportsnaut.com/2018/03/worst...agency-frenzy/

That Ryan Grant contract..woof...

I consider myself a pretty smart fan and I feel like I have a lot of knowledge about players. I honestly did not know who Ryan Grant was. 

1 hour ago, Cripple Creek said:

Still much to come. Offensive line is the current big weakness that needs addressing.

100% agreed.

If we don't fix that line, the best WRs in the world won't help.

The OP has a fair point.

While there is time to address the WR position, chances are it won’t be in the early rounds in the draft as im assuming they will use both 1sts to trade up and get their QB. I also think they will address the LB position in the 2nd round.

Getting the QB should of course be priority number 1, but they also need to bring in a WR or two to help the kid or Mccaron.

No way I’m comfortable with an injury prone receiver in Benjamin and Zay Jones who of course struggled huge last year as their 1, 2 options.

Clay and Benjamin produced at high levels in the past.  Streator was productive in Oakland.  I honestly think our WR/TE core isn't as weak as many believe, and I'm confident with a QB change and offensive change, each is capable of producing at a much higher level than what we've seen of late.  I think we will see a significant offensive improvement if we can bolster our line now that we've made a QB change.

Edited by DasNootz

1 hour ago, Cripple Creek said:

Still much to come. Offensive line is the current big weakness that needs addressing.

Interested in why you think OL is a big weakness. Groy has proven equal to Wood in the time he played C. Dawkins made Glenn expendable -which is saying a Lot! Guard is solid still with Incognito coming off another Pro Bowl and Miller/Ducasse are competent. Sure, add a couple pieces in the Draft. But a ‘big weakness’? I don’t see it. If the new coaches plan according to the talent -which hasn’t been the case- at least 25 teams wish they had or OL, IMO.

2 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Interested in why you think OL is a big weakness. Groy has proven equal to Wood in the time he played C. Dawkins made Glenn expendable -which is saying a Lot! Guard is solid still with Incognito coming off another Pro Bowl and Miller/Ducasse are competent. Sure, add a couple pieces in the Draft. But a ‘big weakness’? I don’t see it. If the new coaches plan according to the talent -which hasn’t been the case- at least 25 teams wish they had or OL, IMO.

I dont want our RG or RT from last year starting, personally. At least upgrade one of the two spots...and Groy is no lock, so maybe drafting or signing someone who is combo C/G will give us a little cover

• Like (+1) 1

The Bills have had the best free agency periods ever this week but Beane can't fix everything by snapping his fingers. Today is only the first actual full day of free agency and plenty of players remain available. Give it some time.

2 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

The Bills had major issues with their WR corps last year yet there has been no wiff of activity to improve this group so far.  The actions suggest that the Bills are comfortable with what they have.  Perhaps a draft pick or two adds to the group but it is rare that a draftee contributes in a big way their first year.  With all of the buzz around QB somebody has to be available on the other end of the throw.

Have you heard of Kelvin Benjamin?  They will also draft at least one WR.  Remember this is still a run first team.  Relax man. This team made the playoffs last year and their D Line will be much better with Lotulelei and Murphy.  They will address the WR position.  Yesterday was the first day of FA and btw there don't appear to be to many starting WR on the FA market. 

16 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Not addressed to me, but I think OL is a big weakness because it proved itself as a big weakness last year, and then got weaker.   Moreover if we're getting a rookie, the #1 thing we need to do is keep him clean and the way to do that is try to go Dallas on the OL.  You can't have too good of an OL for a rookie.

I don't agree that Groy proved equal to Wood, or that Dawkins played equal to Glenn, but even if we stipulate that they did, now we need an NFL-capable swing tackle and backup C/G at the minimum and they have to be starting capable because someone WILL get hurt.  And I note even with the "not weakness" thing you don't mention Mills at RT.  That's a need too.

Needing 3 guys at 3 positions on OL sounds like "weakness" to me.

As for last year, Ducasse may or may not be competent, but everyone's YPA on the team dropped last year so something was off.  While Tyrod has never been very good at stepping into the pocket, it has to be admitted a lot of the time he didn't have a pocket to step into - Jailbreak!

I think PFF rated us as one of the best OLs - is that influencing you?  I don't agree with their metrics for OLs

CHFF has us mediocre, #16, on Offensive Hog Index with 19th at YPA rushing and 27th at Negative pass play % (6th at 3rd down conversion, which raises us)

We were 10th in 2016, so something changed for the worse.  If it's Castillo and he doesn't have the guys he wants for his thang, better go gett'em.

As for the "new coaches" - isn't Castillo still there?

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

21 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Incognito’s age

If Groy does in fact take over as center then you need a competent backup.

I want RG upgraded as well as RT.

That isn’t much to ask for, is it??

Miller is in the doghouse and I don’t know if he can find his way out.

Edited by Cripple Creek
  • Like (+1) 1