Some concerning Josh Allen stats

Yeezus

58 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Josh Allen is horrible. 

Guys like him have no track record of success in the NFL over the past 20 years. 

How can you say he is horrible, on what evidence do you judge him. It takes two for a completion not one.

11 minutes ago, BillsFan2313 said:

If they throw a lot, which Marino and Favre did, what does era matter? 

Matters because alot harder to throw the football in that era because of the way defense was allowed to play 

1 minute ago, Tatonka68 said:

How can you say he is horrible, on what evidence do you judge him. It takes two for a completion not one.

Takes one for proper ball placement 

21 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Matters because alot harder to throw the football in that era because of the way defense was allowed to play 

Takes one for proper ball placement 

ball placement looked great at Senior Bowl, maybe you should take a look.

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

JP might have been a lot better if he was bigger, stronger and had an extra 10mph of ball velocity like Allen has over him.

I'm not sold on Allen by any means but JP was not tall in the pocket and his strong arm would turn to a noodle on the run or off his back foot.........like most QB's.

Not hard to see why some team will fall in love with Allen's physical talent...........he is Big Ben on the hoof without all the weird rapey stuff.

:lol:

Seriously though, there really might be something to this kid.  When he's good, he's really good.  I just don't know that I could get comfortable enough with his inconsistency to pound the table for him.

52 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

I stopped reading right there. All I need is another QB that can't throw receivers open and locks into one in particular.

Unfortunately I have a bad feeling he is the one OBD has their eye on. High ceiling, canon arm and his physical traits are appealing. And we just acquired the right kind of QB to bring him along while he takes in the pro game.

And this was on display at the Senior Bowl.  Even when he cleaned things up a little in the 2nd half it was him throwing to his first read who just happened to be open.  When I watch Allen I see a guy who is way too unfinished, unpolished and risky to take in the first three rounds.  Ball placement and accuracy are way too spotty.  People point out the Senior Bowl and I say yes, but let's look at the entire game and the entire week.  His game was reflective of his week.  His week started off bad just like his game did.  His week improved.  In the 2nd half of the senior bowl his accuracy was better.  But what was not better?  His mechanics and processing the defense.

To me he's just way too much of a project.

People can cite Kelly and Favre all they want but here's the thing with those two.  The former played at Miami and they played schools like ND, Nebraska, OU, Penn State which were all great teams in the late 70's and early 80's.  You could see Kelly had something special about him.

Favre played at Southern Miss which is a small school, but they played big conferences, SEC being one of them.  Favre also displayed the IT factor and would have been in consideration for the Heisman had he not gotten in a car wreck.  From the moment he took his first snap under center you knew there was something special about Favre.

Josh Allen has none of this.  NONE.

16 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I did. 

Yeah it was good. Doesnt change two years of tape 

It actually wasn't good.  I know you know that you don't have to agree with him LOL.  It was decent in the 2nd half.  Why are people forgetting the 1st half?  LOL.  His first half was bad.

Edited by NewEraBills

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

:lol:

Seriously though, there really might be something to this kid.  When he's good, he's really good.  I just don't know that I could get comfortable enough with his inconsistency to pound the table for him.

Exactly how I feel.

There are actually things in all the top 5 prospects that make me think they could become good NFL QB's...........I've never gone into a draft where I didn't at least HATE some of the top QB prospects let alone like all of the top 5.    In a given lean QB year, any one of these top 5 could go #1 overall.....so people talking this group down feels wrong.

The odds are clearly against not having at least one bust in the top 5 QB's taken..........but then what were the odds that the first 3 off the board in 2004 would be HOF'ers?   

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Exactly how I feel.

There are actually things in all the top 5 prospects that make me think they could become good NFL QB's...........I've never gone into a draft where I didn't at least HATE some of the top QB prospects let alone like all of the top 5.    In a given lean QB year, any one of these top 5 could go #1 overall.....so people talking this group down feels wrong.

The odds are clearly against not having at least one bust in the top 5 QB's taken..........but then what were the odds that the first 3 off the board in 2004 would be HOF'ers?   

I feel like we're in lockstep on this class for the most part.  Any one of these guys would fit as a "I'm willing to miss on this kid" type of prospect.

18 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Not a long list of successful sub 60% QBs in NFL

Underwear Olympics mean nada. Tebow put the ball where it needed to be against air. 

Horrible accuracy when real bullets flying. 

Stay away from JP Allen

and seems i wasnt wrong about Taylor was I. 

And for the Record. Coming into the season I LOVED Allen. 

Then the season happened. 

However just like Taylor JP Allen if drafted gets two season to so improvement with his scattershot accuracy and poor choices 

You were wrong about Taylor as he is STILL a starting QB in the NFL and now will be starting for the Browns.

If you loved Allen coming into the season then you must be aware that he came into college a skinny kid and grew into that big frame. He also had a much better supporting cast around him in his first year at Wyoming. The thing is, that anyone who was any good in 2016 left the team in 2017 and he basically was forced to deal with a bad surrounding cast all season. Bad offensive line, bad receiving corps and literally no run game to help him. 

The kid has only played in college for two years and still has room to further develop into a better QB. If you actually watched Allen play last year you would have noticed that in the games against the better schools the team around him really stunk it up and therefore he didn't play well at all considering he was literally running for his life in those games.

Iowa L 24-3 Comp% 57.5

Oregon 49-13 comp% 37.5

Boise St 24-14 comp% 44.4

Yes, Allen had some bad games last year and yet he still went 8-5 while winning the Idaho Potato Bowl. USC's Sam Darnold lost to Ohio St in the Cotton Bowl 24-7 with a completion percentage of 57.8%!  UCLA's Josh Rosen didn't play in the Cactus Bowl and they lost 35-17. UCLA went 6-7 last year.

Do I think this kid will be a future NFL star....YES! Do I know that he will be...NO! This young man is going to get drafted early because of his potential. He has an arm that can throw frozen ropes all over the field just like Aaron Rodgers

Edited by Nihilarian

9 hours ago, Tatonka68 said:

I've read enough scouting reports to understand that his accuracy is a major issue, and it takes about 2 minutes to figure out that college QBs with accuracy problems never work out in the NFL. 

12 hours ago, dpberr said:

The GM who drafts Josh Allen with a first round pick will be fired in three years.  

If you're not accurate in college football, you're not going to magically become accurate in the NFL.  He's not even close to that 60% metric.  

This isn't an 8-year NFL vet we are talking about here it's a kid who only played two years in college. He already showed great improvement with a better supporting cast and better coaching at the senior bowl. (watch the vid)

Yes, players that have been used to throwing a certain way for a long time have great difficulty changing anything related to mechanics, footwork, throwing motion. The reason scouts are so high on him is because he isn't set in his ways and can be developed with proper coaching. 

I'll support any QB the Buffalo Bills draft this year even if it's Lamar Jackson and I don't care much for Rosen with his durability issues or Darnold with his fumbling concerns. 

Call me crazy but I like Mayfield and Allen with the latter being my #1. I watched his senior bowl/ combine performance and he reminds me of Big Ben...only with a stronger arm. 

What would anyone want to draft a project when there are guys in the draft ready to step in day 1...how many QBs drafted on potential actually reach it? Most successful NFL QBs have shown they were successful in college first...I cant even think of anything that Allen does well.

16 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

You were wrong about Taylor as he is STILL a starting QB in the NFL and now will be starting for the Browns.

If you loved Allen coming into the season then you must be aware that he came into college a skinny kid and grew into that big frame. He also had a much better supporting cast around him in his first year at Wyoming. The thing is, that anyone who was any good in 2016 left the team in 2017 and he basically was forced to deal with a bad surrounding cast all season. Bad offensive line, bad receiving corps and literally no run game to help him. 

The kid has only played in college for two years and still has room to further develop into a better QB. If you actually watched Allen play last year you would have noticed that in the games against the better schools the team around him really stunk it up and therefore he didn't play well at all considering he was literally running for his life in those games.

Iowa L 24-3 Comp% 57.5

Oregon 49-13 comp% 37.5

Yes, Allen had some bad games last year and yet he still went 8-5 while winning the Idaho Potato Bowl. USC's Sam Darnold lost to Ohio St in the Cotton Bowl 24-7 with a completion percentage of 57.8%!  UCLA's Josh Rosen didn't play in the Cactus Bowl and they lost 35-17. UCLA went 6-7 last year.

Do I think this kid will be a future NFL star....YES! Do I know that he will be...NO! This young man is going to get drafted early because of his potential. He has an arm that can throw frozen ropes all over the field just like Aaron Rodgers

Cool competion percentage used for Ball placement. His decision making is a mess. He has scattershot accuracy. And it didnt get better at all this season. He it a late first prospect as best. And someone i definitely dont want to trade up for. 

17 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

Iowa L 24-3 Comp% 57.5

Oregon 49-13 comp% 37.5

I'll challenge anyone that says that Josh Allen is a guaranteed bust to go back and watch that Iowa game again.

That was not a kid that was overmatched; it was a kid that hung in there despite getting his arse kicked and his team failing brutally around him time and again.