Not one but TWO free agents chose Buffalo over New England today

Logic

1 hour ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Kelsay was a very good role player. Played on some good defenses. 

That said he wasn't much of a pass rusher. Murphy's 2016 was better than multiple Kelsay years combined in terms of pass rush production. 

And yet, for some reason, they kept giving Kelsay big contract extensions.

4 hours ago, Logic said:

Reports are that both Trent Murphy and AJ McCarron had offers from the New England Patriots, but signed with the Bills instead.

Now you can say what you want about opportunity for snaps, better money perhaps being offered by Buffalo, etc.

But even still, I'll say it again: A quality pass rusher and a quarterback both chose the Bills over the Patriots today. A pretty nice change. Combined with Vontae Davis and Chris Ivory both also choosing Buffalo after visiting with other teams, I feel good about our current front office's ability to sell the vision to players. These are not your same old Buffalo Bills.

Side note: I predict Trent Murphy will be a pretty instant fan favorite. Massive guy, non-stop motor, vocal leader, smart as a whip (went to Stanford)...he'll fit right in. His scouting reports said he'd need a few years to acclimate to the pro game. Well, based on his most recent full season (9 sacks while playing 60% of the defensive snaps), Bills are about to be the beneficiaries of Murphy coming into his own!

North of the Wall !!!

Love this signing, wanted to draft him, hope the knee is good.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

7 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Brace Yourselves X is Coming Meme | BRACE YOURSELVES MURPHY IS COMING | image tagged in memes,brace yourselves x is coming | made w/ Imgflip meme maker

I like this. My name is Murphy. I know what jersey I'll be getting this year.

Murphy (2)

McDermott (2)

McCoy

McCarron

Reilly

O'Leary

McBeane

Digging this Irish Connection theme we got going on here

Edited by bmur66
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Murphy is the new Kelsay.

He actually reminds me more of Bryce Paup. Same size and very good off the snap, if Kyle can show him a few things he could be a 8 to 10 sack guy. His 3 cone, 10 yard dash and vert are amazing for a guy his size. Lots of passes are going to get knocked to the ground.

1 hour ago, jimmy10 said:

Blue collar? Lunch pail? Gym rat?

I don't know if he's a gym rat, only 19 reps, i got him by 3 reps.

Just wanted to pop in to say that any comparisons to Chris Kelsay are silly. Not just in this thread, but in others I have seen this comparison. Why? Because he's white? Is that like how Lamar Jackson and Tyrod Taylor are identical quarterbacks? Get real. Murphy and Kelsay are nothing alike.

One more thing: The 4-man line on 3rd downs looks niiiiice. Hughes and Murphy at DE, Lawson kicks into DT alongside Kyle. Big improvement from last season.

New England doesnt have alot of cap space. Brady is nearing the end of his career as he is already speaking retirement. Bellicheat sat his best defensive player during the Super Bowl and runs the place like a dictator. I would say those are some good reasons FA’s chose us and other locations.

9 hours ago, Logic said:

Reports are that both Trent Murphy and AJ McCarron had offers from the New England Patriots, but signed with the Bills instead.

Now you can say what you want about opportunity for snaps, better money perhaps being offered by Buffalo, etc.

But even still, I'll say it again: A quality pass rusher and a quarterback both chose the Bills over the Patriots today. A pretty nice change. Combined with Vontae Davis and Chris Ivory both also choosing Buffalo after visiting with other teams, I feel good about our current front office's ability to sell the vision to players. These are not your same old Buffalo Bills.

Side note: I predict Trent Murphy will be a pretty instant fan favorite. Massive guy, non-stop motor, vocal leader, smart as a whip (went to Stanford)...he'll fit right in. His scouting reports said he'd need a few years to acclimate to the pro game. Well, based on his most recent full season (9 sacks while playing 60% of the defensive snaps), Bills are about to be the beneficiaries of Murphy coming into his own!

Thanks.   This is an interesting point.  Another validation of what we all thing we're seeing - total competence in the GM's office. 

For me, the big question is whether the coaching will be as good as the player personnel activity.   On defense, I'm okay.   I think McD knows how to build a good defense, and I think he and Beane are getting the guys who fit.   

The offense, on the other hand, is what I'm worried about.   Offense in the NFL these days requires creativity and flexibility.  We didn't see that in Buffalo last year, and we just have to wait and see what we get out of Daboll.  

2 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Oh come on!    Buffalo isn't a place Free Agents want to go to!!!     I heard that here a bunch of times.  

:P

This was very much evident before in years past.....but it appears with the waves being made since the new coaching regime and FO changes players seeing change and new culture.....buffalo is just starting to become abit more attractive for players imo 

8 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Beane and McDermott must be outstanding sales man. I know alot of it comes down to money, but how do you convince a guy (vontae Davis, Murphy, McCarron) to come to Buffalo over other teams who are proven winners? 

I think there are a few things going on here.

1.   Players could see a fundamental difference in the 2017 Bills from earlier years.   Didn't fold down the stretch.  Team discipline.   

2.  Players listen to other players.   They could tell, we all could tell, that McDermott had created an environment that players wanted to play in.

3.  Players can tell when they're getting BSd, and they don't hear any BS coming from McBeane.  

4.  When you have the first three, then you look at the owners.   The owners look like this, too.  Disciplined, create an open and supportive environment, no BS.  

When you see all that, you believe the team will win.   

That's what sells.  

10 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

This isn't a big deal. You said it yourself. Money. 

Money is what drives most free agency decisions on destination from the player's sides, in probably 90% of all deals. The exceptions are generally when the offers are very close and there's no big financial difference or for guys who have already brought in tens of millions of bucks and now on their later contracts can afford to look at championships rather than just money.

I think Beane's doing a terrific job. I'm not saying this to slight the Bills in any way. 

But picking the Bills over the Pats would not be any kind of a big deal unless the terms the Pats were offering were better.

I agree. It's cool and all, but it would be much cooler when this team starts to win games vs NE once in awhile.