Scattered Thoughts so far

Virgil

Rather than reply to all the different threads out there, I wanted to put something together of all the thoughts about what's happened so far and the upcoming draft.

1 - Barkley - I've seen this kid be hyped as a generational talent and I think he might be the biggest enigma in the draft in terms of the affect he has on trades.  I think the Browns, Giants, and Colts could all want and use him.  If he's that great, he'd make an instant impact and offense sells.  Because of this, I've wondered if the Browns have considered trading up from 4 to 2.  It's crazy to think about a team having the first 2 picks, but if they really want their QB and Barkley, they may have to.  With the Colts and Giants being open for business and the Jets/Bills looking to trade up, there's no certainty that the QB the Browns want will be there at 4.  There's a strong possibility that Barkley isn't there at 4 either.  They have enough picks where a trade up wouldn't hurt them too much and they've made a lot of strong moves so far.  If I'm them, I'd do it.  

If the Browns to go QB #1 overall, I wonder if Barkley is good enough to make the Giants or Colts not want to trade out of their spots. 

2 - I'm concerned about our offense going into next year.  I'm not sold on our new OC.  No matter how many great coaches seem to like the guy and want him on their squad, he hasn't proven anything to get excited about.  Also, if Zay goes to the slot, we still need a #2 WR.  This is a deep draft for WR's, but rookie WR's take a bit to acclimate to the NFL and we may be trading a lot of our picks away.  That being said, I like the WR out of LSU. 

Groy taking over at Center should be okay, but RT is still an issue.  Plus, we have zero depth at the any position, unless you count Miller at guard (more on him later).  Rookie offensive lineman usually transition easier to the NFL, but who knows how many top 4 picks we will have if we trade up. I'm not sure how many starting caliber lineman are available in FA that we can afford, but I'm hoping this is something we are addressing. 

3 - Is it weird to anyone else that the salaries from some of these deals still aren't out?  In a world of Tweets and instant news, how do we still not know the money given to Star?  I'm still a little bothered that we had to spend money on a DT because we couldn't find a way to maximize effort from Dareus.  We ate all that dead money, gave him to a team that beat us in the playoffs for stones, and now are spending money on top of the dead money to fill the same position.  Just seems like a lot of money for McDermott to get "his" guy.  I aslo

4 - I love the money spent on McCarron.  However, he has about as much starting experience as Peterman.  I feel like we are going to have an open QB competition amongst guys who really aren't going to be able to help each other.  I didn't want to pay anyone more than 10 mil since we know they aren't our long term plan, but I also wanted someone that could tutor a rookie.  Fitz would have been good IMO, but that was pry never going to happen.  Either way, I hope that the years on the bench slowed down the NFL for McCarron and he's futher along than his starting experience is.  

5 - When did WR's start getting paid...and other offensive players -  I laughed when Odell was asking for $20 mil but now I'm starting to wonder if he'll get it.  Fragile Sammy got how much?  Wow.  Now I know we were never going to keep him and am very happy for our trade.  McKinnon got paid too.  Offensive weapons are just cashing in, which makes me understand why point 2 hasn't been addressed yet.  Overall, this is the most shocking thing to me.  

6 - Does Bradford have pics of everyone with a checkbook?  This guy has made over $100 million since entering the NFL.  I'm hiring his agent tomorrow.

7 - I hate not knowing who we want at QB.  I get that we don't want to tip our hats to other teams, but can't Beane just come on here and tell us?  We won't let it slip.  The anxiety I have over ho they want is killing me.  People keep talking about us trading into the top 5 before the draft but I think that's a terrible idea.  I think if we go to 3, 4, or 5, then the Jets will just trade up in front of us.  Also, I'm really hoping the Browns make it known they are taking Barkley, then I would sell the farm to the Giants for #2.  Then I know we got our guy.  My anxiety comes from us getting our guy taken right out from under us or our guy being Allen.  This guy just has Tannehill written all over to me.  Size, arm, but accuracy issues.  Are you kidding me?  People realize that QB's have to throw the ball into tight windows for their job right?  Allen scares the crap out of me.  If it's any of the other 3, I'll trust the process.  Mayfield is my top choice though.  

8 - I would love to know how much cap space we have left so we can all debate and be wrong about the tier 2 FA's to get.  I'm very scared about our MLB position right now.  I'll take Preston back for 6 mil or below.  I'm hoping Gaines got brought back to reality.  Both being back would be good, but I'm also a fan of Kendricks from Philly.  

9 - Poz retired.  Feel old yet?  

10 - Are more trades coming?  The money we put into the D-line makes me wonder if Hughes or Shaq could be available for trade.  Hughes because of salary, but I think he'll flourish next year with the changes.  Shaq hasn't lived up to his billing yet and isn't a pick of this regime.  I don't know if he'd fetch more than a 4th though.  I also wonder about Miller.  We tanked his value by not even activating him most games, but who knows.  

11 - I know they will go 2-0 against us next year, but anyone else love seeing cracks in the molding of the Pats?  You can feel it coming to an end.

12 - If we stay put at take Jackson or Rudolph because the other 4 went, I'll lose my mind.

13 - If the Qb's we covet are gone and we can't trade up, I'll offer up a 2nd to the Eagles on day 2 of the draft.  Foles and McCarron wouldn't be the worst consolation prize.  I also would trade back out of 12, to make sure i get a RB, OT, C, LB, and TE all whom I think can start in the first 3 rounds.  

14 - Props to the guys like Reed, 26, and Yolo who've posted things on here quicker than most outlets.  It's great to have a site like this that's so up to date.

15 - For those bitching about the multiple Qb theads and everything else on here. I'm sure SDS can attest the traffic on this site is crazy right now because everyone is excited.  Stop trying to crush it.  We made the playoffs, have made some amazing trades and FA moves, and are in great shape for the draft.  Heaven forbid you have to look at page 2.  It's fun.  Lighten up.

Thank you and good night

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Rather than reply to all the different threads out there, I wanted to put something together of all the thoughts about what's happened so far and the upcoming draft.

1 - Barkley - I've seen this kid be hyped as a generational talent and I think he might be the biggest enigma in the draft in terms of the affect he has on trades.  I think the Browns, Giants, and Colts could all want and use him.  If he's that great, he'd make an instant impact and offense sells.  Because of this, I've wondered if the Browns have considered trading up from 4 to 2.  It's crazy to think about a team having the first 2 picks, but if they really want their QB and Barkley, they may have to.  With the Colts and Giants being open for business and the Jets/Bills looking to trade up, there's no certainty that the QB the Browns want will be there at 4.  There's a strong possibility that Barkley isn't there at 4 either.  They have enough picks where a trade up wouldn't hurt them too much and they've made a lot of strong moves so far.  If I'm them, I'd do it.  

If the Browns to go QB #1 overall, I wonder if Barkley is good enough to make the Giants or Colts not want to trade out of their spots. 

2 - I'm concerned about our offense going into next year.  I'm not sold on our new OC.  No matter how many great coaches seem to like the guy and want him on their squad, he hasn't proven anything to get excited about.  Also, if Zay goes to the slot, we still need a #2 WR.  This is a deep draft for WR's, but rookie WR's take a bit to acclimate to the NFL and we may be trading a lot of our picks away.  That being said, I like the WR out of LSU. 

Groy taking over at Center should be okay, but RT is still an issue.  Plus, we have zero depth at the any position, unless you count Miller at guard (more on him later).  Rookie offensive lineman usually transition easier to the NFL, but who knows how many top 4 picks we will have if we trade up. I'm not sure how many starting caliber lineman are available in FA that we can afford, but I'm hoping this is something we are addressing. 

3 - Is it weird to anyone else that the salaries from some of these deals still aren't out?  In a world of Tweets and instant news, how do we still not know the money given to Star?  I'm still a little bothered that we had to spend money on a DT because we couldn't find a way to maximize effort from Dareus.  We ate all that dead money, gave him to a team that beat us in the playoffs for stones, and now are spending money on top of the dead money to fill the same position.  Just seems like a lot of money for McDermott to get "his" guy.  I aslo

4 - I love the money spent on McCarron.  However, he has about as much starting experience as Peterman.  I feel like we are going to have an open QB competition amongst guys who really aren't going to be able to help each other.  I didn't want to pay anyone more than 10 mil since we know they aren't our long term plan, but I also wanted someone that could tutor a rookie.  Fitz would have been good IMO, but that was pry never going to happen.  Either way, I hope that the years on the bench slowed down the NFL for McCarron and he's futher along than his starting experience is.  

5 - When did WR's start getting paid...and other offensive players -  I laughed when Odell was asking for $20 mil but now I'm starting to wonder if he'll get it.  Fragile Sammy got how much?  Wow.  Now I know we were never going to keep him and am very happy for our trade.  McKinnon got paid too.  Offensive weapons are just cashing in, which makes me understand why point 2 hasn't been addressed yet.  Overall, this is the most shocking thing to me.  

6 - Does Bradford have pics of everyone with a checkbook?  This guy has made over $100 million since entering the NFL.  I'm hiring his agent tomorrow.

7 - I hate not knowing who we want at QB.  I get that we don't want to tip our hats to other teams, but can't Beane just come on here and tell us?  We won't let it slip.  The anxiety I have over ho they want is killing me.  People keep talking about us trading into the top 5 before the draft but I think that's a terrible idea.  I think if we go to 3, 4, or 5, then the Jets will just trade up in front of us.  Also, I'm really hoping the Browns make it known they are taking Barkley, then I would sell the farm to the Giants for #2.  Then I know we got our guy.  My anxiety comes from us getting our guy taken right out from under us or our guy being Allen.  This guy just has Tannehill written all over to me.  Size, arm, but accuracy issues.  Are you kidding me?  People realize that QB's have to throw the ball into tight windows for their job right?  Allen scares the crap out of me.  If it's any of the other 3, I'll trust the process.  Mayfield is my top choice though.  

8 - I would love to know how much cap space we have left so we can all debate and be wrong about the tier 2 FA's to get.  I'm very scared about our MLB position right now.  I'll take Preston back for 6 mil or below.  I'm hoping Gaines got brought back to reality.  Both being back would be good, but I'm also a fan of Kendricks from Philly.  

9 - Poz retired.  Feel old yet?  

10 - Are more trades coming?  The money we put into the D-line makes me wonder if Hughes or Shaq could be available for trade.  Hughes because of salary, but I think he'll flourish next year with the changes.  Shaq hasn't lived up to his billing yet and isn't a pick of this regime.  I don't know if he'd fetch more than a 4th though.  I also wonder about Miller.  We tanked his value by not even activating him most games, but who knows.  

11 - I know they will go 2-0 against us next year, but anyone else love seeing cracks in the molding of the Pats?  You can feel it coming to an end.

12 - If we stay put at take Jackson or Rudolph because the other 4 went, I'll lose my mind.

13 - If the Qb's we covet are gone and we can't trade up, I'll offer up a 2nd to the Eagles on day 2 of the draft.  Foles and McCarron wouldn't be the worst consolation prize.  I also would trade back out of 12, to make sure i get a RB, OT, C, LB, and TE all whom I think can start in the first 3 rounds.  

14 - Props to the guys like Reed, 26, and Yolo who've posted things on here quicker than most outlets.  It's great to have a site like this that's so up to date.

15 - For those bitching about the multiple Qb theads and everything else on here. I'm sure SDS can attest the traffic on this site is crazy right now because everyone is excited.  Stop trying to crush it.  We made the playoffs, have made some amazing trades and FA moves, and are in great shape for the draft.  Heaven forbid you have to look at page 2.  It's fun.  Lighten up.

Thank you and good night

#1 that would be possible but doubtful. They want to use there picks not abuse them

#2 I think we have not even gotten through the draft and your worried way to early...

#3 normal

#4 google is a great thing to use you should try it some time. Peterman started one game how many has McCarron played in?

I stopped after 5. to much nonsense.

Just now, PrimeTime101 said:

#1 that would be possible but doubtful. They want to use there picks not abuse them

#2 I think we have not even gotten through the draft and your worried way to early...

#3 normal

#4 google is a great thing to use you should try it some time. Peterman started one game how many has McCarron played in?

I stopped after 5. to much nonsense.

1 -  Agreed on doubtful, but still intruiging

2 - Not worried in the grand scheme, hence why I said so far

4 - There's not enough to really know what we are getting is all I'm saying.  Don't be so literal

15 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Who is Barkley?  Darnold?

1 minute ago, Virgil said:

Penn State Runningback

Oh my bad.  Sanquan is a beast.  I just didn't consider him  as a Bills pick.  But he is the best player im the draft.  Him and Quenton Nelson

27 minutes ago, Virgil said:

1 -  Agreed on doubtful, but still intruiging

2 - Not worried in the grand scheme, hence why I said so far

4 - There's not enough to really know what we are getting is all I'm saying.  Don't be so literal

4 - I'll be literal.  In addition to a few regular season starts, AJ has started a playoff game.  In that game, he had them in the lead against the Steelers, but eventually lost because of a fumble by Jeremy Hill within the final minute.  Should've been their first playoff win since 1990.  He definitely has potential and i'm excited to have him.

Glad you got all that out before you go to bed!

7 - I hate not knowing who we want at QB.  I get that we don't want to tip our hats to other teams, but can't Beane just come on here and tell us?  We won't let it slip.  The anxiety I have over who they want is killing me.  People keep talking about us trading into the top 5 before the draft but I think that's a terrible idea.  I think if we go to 3, 4, or 5, then the Jets will just trade up in front of us.  Also, I'm really hoping the Browns make it known they are taking Barkley, then I would sell the farm to the Giants for #2.  Then I know we got our guy.  My anxiety comes from us getting our guy taken right out from under us or our guy being Allen.  This guy just has Tannehill written all over to me.  Size, arm, but accuracy issues.  Are you kidding me?  People realize that QB's have to throw the ball into tight windows for their job right?  Allen scares the crap out of me.  If it's any of the other 3, I'll trust the process.  Mayfield is my top choice though.

This is the biggest of them all.  We all wish we knew what Beane is thinking.

Beane is as tight lipped as an Aldebaran Shellmouth (for all you Trekkie's out there).

6 minutes ago, Circlethewagon8404 said:

4 - I'll be literal.  In addition to a few regular season starts, AJ has started a playoff game.  In that game, he had them in the lead against the Steelers, but eventually lost because of a fumble by Jeremy Hill within the final minute.  Should've been their first playoff win since 1990.  He definitely has potential and i'm excited to have him.

To be clear, and maybe I wasn’t, I really like the kid. 

But if the plan is to help along a rookie, he’s probably the least experienced of the FA’s

To be clear, and maybe I wasn’t, I really like the kid. 

But if the plan is to help along a rookie, he’s probably the least experienced of the FA’s

agreed.  but he has sat behind a QB with a winning record for the last few years and he's not broken like Bradford or Bridgewater.  And we didn't cave in on the Hype of the overpriced/overrated Cousins or Keenum.  Shoot, Tyrod was more inexperienced than AJ, and yes, we all know how that turned out.  But that's because he was afraid to take chances.

3 minutes ago, Jamie Nails said:

One thing I would add is that none of the guys signed took visits. In the past it felt like we had to sell people on Buffalo- now people are signing because they want them some process! 

That’s a great point and I hadn’t thought about that. We are finally getting some guys who want to be part of what we are doing. 

Maybe it’s the Shady effect too, but people see the culture changing and we feel it too. 

It’s a nice change 

• Like (+1) 1

That’s a great point and I hadn’t thought about that. We are finally getting some guys who want to be part of what we are doing. 

Maybe it’s the Shady effect too, but people see the culture changing and we feel it too. 

It’s a nice change 

And when players really want to play for this organization, they usually exceed expectations.  How much longer do we have to wait for August/September to get here...haha

Pundits are overvaluing Barkley.

Look at it this way. The highest paid running back in the NFL is Devonta Freeman at 8.25 million per year.

The highest paid quarterback and the highest paid player in the NFL is Kirk Cousins of all people at 28 million per year.

So roughly 3 1/2 times more than the best paid running back. That  shows how the positions are valued in the NFL.

It would be really weird for a GM on a QB needy team to go ahead and pick a RB over a QB.

Thanks for the entertaining read Virg!  These are truly exciting times to be a BIlls fan...and not like the Mario Williams F5 exciting times either...the anticipation for the next month or so kinda feels like we're finally arriving.

I guess we just gotta trust the process!

2 hours ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

Pundits are overvaluing Barkley.

Look at it this way. The highest paid running back in the NFL is Devonta Freeman at 8.25 million per year.

The highest paid quarterback and the highest paid player in the NFL is Kirk Cousins of all people at 28 million per year.

So roughly 3 1/2 times more than the best paid running back. That  shows how the positions are valued in the NFL.

It would be really weird for a GM on a QB needy team to go ahead and pick a RB over a QB.

Maybe. But all three of the top teams haven’t had a running game in years.  He’s the #1 prospect on a lot of people’s boards 

1 - I think the only realistic scenarios where the Browns draft Barkley are:

A) They have similar grades on 3 QBs, so they take Barkley 1 and are guaranteed 1 of their 3 at 4. 

B) QBs go 1,2,3 - very possible if Indy trades out. 

I am am not a professional scout, and I don't really have a clue who will be good or not. But scenario A makes a lot of sense. If I was them, I'd either do that or go QB 1 and try to trade down from 4. 

2 - Me too, but it's early yet. I'll be disappointed if we don't sign a couple FA linemen when it's all said and done. Glad they're not breaking the bank for guards like some teams, though.

I think the plan is for O improvement to come from scheme first, then health (Benjamin), then rookie contributions. 

4 - I'm not very worried about this - tutoring players is a coach's job, not another player. Favre famously didn't do anything to help Rodgers.  And in any case, being good at something is not indicative of being good at teaching it. I think we'll be in rough shape if McCarron starts a lot of games, but I'm fine with him backing up the rookie.

5 - Yeah, it's crazy. I think Evans is amazing, but I wouldn't want him at that money. I'm not sure you can assemble a Super Bowl team with a WR taking up that much of your cap, unless you have a good QB on a rookie contract, or like 2 straight historic drafts or something. I have no

problem with the Bills sitting this frenzy out. 

7 - Totally with you on the trade up. The move to 12 made a lot of sense, but going to anything but 1, or 2 if everyone knows who 1 will be, usually doesn't happen pre-draft. Because why spend all that capital unless you're sure your guy will be there? But keep in mind that the Bills might have 2 or more guys with basically the same grade. Hopefully not Allen, though - he scares me as well. The guy I keep thinking back to is Jake Locker. 

10 - I'll say no. Hughes isn't overpaid, even after a down year, and he's still by far the most proven pass rusher on the team. Shaq is more likely (a la Ragland last year), but I think he gets another shot. I think McDermott wants to play waves on the D-line, so having lots of bodies is key. And they have almost no bodies on the O-line right now, so I can't see Miller being moved, especially for the peanuts he's worth right now. 

11 - Meh, they'll just have to cheat harder next year. I'll get excited when they lose their 8th game in a season. 

12 - I'd be okay with LJ or MR, but I like both of them more than most. I also wouldn't be shocked if Mayfield (whom I don't like, but could talk myself into) was there at 12. I'm down with us trading way up this year. But I always like when a team lets the draft come to them - seems like half the time, they get the guy they would've traded up for in the first place. Sometimes that's Daunte Culpepper for the Vikings, but sometimes it's Matt Leinart for the Cardinals. 

13 - I think anyone who trades for Foles is getting 2015-2016 Foles, not Super Bowl Foles. Unless he comes with the coaching staff, count me out.