THE ROCKPILE REVIEW - Free Agency Was Over Before It Began

Shaw66

The Rockpile Review – by Shaw66

Free Agency Was Over Before it Began

Each year, fan excitement grows as the beginning of free agency approaches.  Fans of each team analyze their team’s strengths and weaknesses, evaluate the available talent and develop a wish list for the team.   Some years it’s a coveted corner back, some years it’s an offensive lineman that tops the list.  Rarely it’s a quarterback, because good or even useful quarterbacks rarely are available.

Then free agency starts, and a few days of excitement ensue.  Players show up in one city or another, the fans follow all the movements and the signings, and sportswriters hand out free agency grades to all the teams. 

2018 was different, throughout the league and especially for fans of teams that needed quarterbacks.  In 2018, free agent quarterbacks were the whole story.  Sure, there are position players available, but for whatever reason 2018’s free agent class was chock full of potential starting quarterbacks.  The year was unprecedented.  Jimmy Garoppolo, Kirk Cousins.   Heck, Minnesota alone had THREE starting quarterbacks that became free agents.  AJ McCarron won an arbitration and became a free agent.  And to make it more interesting, the Eagles decided they wanted to trade their Super Bowl winning quarterback, not a free agent but still up for grabs. 

Making the whole show more interesting was the pending 2018 draft, with one of the best quarterback classes in years.  

Fans of every team that needed a quarterback spent weeks figuring what seemed like endless possibilities. 

And then, before it even began, it was over.  In a dizzying series of moves, all, or just about all, of the quarterbacks in play landed with their 2018 teams.  

For Bills fans, it was truly breathtaking.   By virtue of several 2017 trades, the Bills were holding several high draft picks, potential ammunition for trading up into a top spot in the draft.  Ten days before free agency was to begin, they strengthened their draft position by trading Tyrod Taylor to the Browns.  Taylor wasn’t even one of the QBs being talked about in the free agent frenzy. 

Was the Taylor move a signal that the Bills were strengthening their hand to trade up in the draft?  Or was it clearing cap room for a serious run at one of the better free agents?  Bills fans didn’t have to wait long for an answer, because within a week the Bills packaged Cordy Glenn and one of their first-round picks to acquire the Bengals 12th pick in the draft.   The Bills were making a run at the top of the draft!

But what about 2018?  Were the Bills actually planning on starting the season with Nate Peterman and whatever rookie phenom the Bills find in the draft?   That couldn’t be.   Did the Bills want Cousins or Foles or Keenum and planned to use their 12th pick to get a middle linebacker?  Or did they want Bridgewater or McCown, guys who have looked okay as starters but who probably aren’t the future? 

By the time free agency began, the fans had their answer.  The Bills didn’t want any of them.   The Bills didn’t want to write a big check to anyone.  When just about all the dust had settled, all the quarterbacks had found a home, all but one, AJ McCarron.   And all the teams had their quartebacks, all but one, the Bills.   Still, maybe the Bills would pry Nick Foles from the Eagles.  And then, it was over.  McCarron is a Bill.

Along the way, Brandon Beane wasn’t focused solely on the quarterbacks.   Expecting to lose EJ Gaines, he signed Vontae Davis to keep the secondary stocked with talent.  He signed Chris Ivory to have a solid backup to LeSean McCoy.   He added two pass rushers and a solid defensive tackle. 

And free agency had barely begun.  Beane will continue to add players, plug holes, build depth.  And prepare for the draft.

Now the fans have another month to speculate about how the Bills will move up from 12, what it will cost, and most importantly, who it is Beane covets as his next quarterback. 

So, what do we know now that we’ve seen Brandon Beane in action?  Keep your seat belts fastened at all times, that’s what we know.  We got a taste of it last summer, when Watkins and Darby were shipped out.  We saw more when Dareus was moved and Kelvin Benjamin arrived. 

But 2017 was nothing compared to this.  This was ten days of wheelin and dealin.  The stakes were high – teams were making five-year bets on quarterbacks, and Beane placed his bet, on the draft.  He’s all in on the draft for the quarterback he wants. 

Beane wasn’t hedging his bets.  He wasn’t looking for a free agent to be his guy.  McCarron could claim the job and keep it, but what are the chances of that?  He hasn’t been able to take Andy Dalton’s job, so how good can he be?  No, Beane has his eyes on someone in the draft, and he’s going to go get him.

Beane’s fearless.  He’s making deals, he’s moving players, he’s reshaping the team.  Every move comes with risk; Taylor may light it up in Cleveland, Beane’s draft pick could bust, but he isn’t afraid to move.  This is his team, and presumably it’s McDermott’s team, too.  They’re building it the way they want it, win or lose, it’s theirs.

Keep your seat belts fastened.  And don’t nap on these guys – you’ll miss something.

GO BILLS!!!

The Rockpile Review is written to share the passion we have for the Buffalo Bills. That passion was born in the Rockpile; its parents were everyday people of western New York who translated their dedication to a full day’s hard work and simple pleasures into love for a pro football team.

• Like (+1) 9
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Beane’s fearless.  He’s making deals, he’s moving players, he’s reshaping the team.  Every move comes with risk; Taylor may light it up in Cleveland, Beane’s draft pick could bust, but he isn’t afraid to move.  This is his team, and presumably it’s McDermott’s team, too.  They’re building it the way they want it, win or lose, it’s theirs.

Nice post, but the bolded is not a risk at all.  TT wasn't lighting it in Buffalo and had to go, so doesn't matter what he does in Cleveland.  And draft picks are a risk for every team.  But very nice post, good read.

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Sooooo, about that Cousins to Buffalo thing.........

I didn't say he was coming.   What I said is that the Bills COULD be in the mix if they wanted.  They had the cap room.   And they had the right package to sell.  

I also said that the Vikings were the most likely landing spot.   I don't think Cousins wanted NYC and I don't think he wanted to go out west.   I think he wanted the midwest.  

If we can believe the report from  Sal or someone, the Bills simply weren't interested in writing a big check for a free agent QB.   They want a guy out of the draft.   

Now the question is who is that guy?

• Like (+1) 1

Good post - nice summary - took a few liberties in there -- He signed Chris Ivory to have a solid backup to LeSean McCoy -- maybe - hope so.

All in all I would give you a thumbs up but I ran out after the madness of today......

3 minutes ago, ricojes said:

Nice post, but the bolded is not a risk at all.  TT wasn't lighting it in Buffalo and had to go, so doesn't matter what he does in Cleveland.  And draft picks are a risk for every team.  But very nice post, good read.

Thanks.  You're right, in terms of the Bills.   But the success of guys you get rid of is a risk in that it impacts how your boss evaluates you. 

I think Taylor has talent, and I think the right coach may get a lot more production out of him.   I don't think that will happen, but if it does, Beane won't look so smart.  

1 minute ago, Kwai San said:

Good post - nice summary - took a few liberties in there -- He signed Chris Ivory to have a solid backup to LeSean McCoy -- maybe - hope so.

All in all I would give you a thumbs up but I ran out after the madness of today......

I've always though Ivory is a real tough back.   He's a Fred Jackson kind of guy.   Guts, strength, shifty, a real pro.   I thing he'll be great spelling Shady.   

Just now, Shaw66 said:

Thanks.  You're right, in terms of the Bills.   But the success of guys you get rid of is a risk in that it impacts how your boss evaluates you. 

I think Taylor has talent, and I think the right coach may get a lot more production out of him.   I don't think that will happen, but if it does, Beane won't look so smart.  

Overall I don't think Beane will get judged on singular moves but rather his body of work - now if Taylor takes the Browns to the SB and wins?  That some serious egg on face - but honestly - no one here is going to give that thought, of winning a SB, any consideration at all....certainly not me.

1 minute ago, Kwai San said:

Overall I don't think Beane will get judged on singular moves but rather his body of work - now if Taylor takes the Browns to the SB and wins?  That some serious egg on face - but honestly - no one here is going to give that thought, of winning a SB, any consideration at all....certainly not me.

You didn't give a thought to the possibility that Doug Marrone might win the Super Bowl last year?   I did.   

But I agree with you.   I wish Taylor well.  I hope he succeeds.   I hope the Bills do better.  

• Like (+1) 1

Exactly how I feel about the 'season' so far.  You and I are very old vets at this stuff.  Technology has changed the old free-agency and draft routine -and - maybe for the better.  It seems now if our HC and GM have their eye on a specific player to fill a certain need - - they get him.  I don't think Barber, Polian, Butler or the rest could really do that just by using the phone - - the phone!   Keep up the great posts for the 'senior fans'  !!

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

Add this word combination to the TBD filter so they never again appear. :lol:

I wish I understood more than poor Doc does.

I suppose at the very least ya gotta give the foles-flock credit for knowing what they want in life... so there's that..

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

You didn't give a thought to the possibility that Doug Marrone might win the Super Bowl last year?   I did.   

But I agree with you.   I wish Taylor well.  I hope he succeeds.   I hope the Bills do better.  

Well I agree on Dougie - but that was an entirely different situation - we didn't trade him.

I too wish TT well - he certainly did everything in the locker room and off the field over and above most of the characters we have had here.  Sadly it didn't translate to the football field when it mattered most.

• Like (+1) 1

Beane is young. He will learn fear.

Once he learns fear he will need to be brave.

Here is what I make of (Mc) Beane. First, he doesn't want a positive fan experience, or to sell tickets, or to have a successful business model or a regional brand. He wants to win. Everything he has done and will do is about forming a wining team. In that sense he is the exact opposite of Russ Brandon. 

Second, I don't think that he thinks he is being brave or bold or dashing or any of it. i think he just knows what he thinks he should do to win and is doing it. This is the job, this is what I need to do, and I am going to do it. That simple.

Third, guys like that can become disliked. Guys who are rather ruthless. But he has not and I don't think he will become disliked because he is direct and honest about things. From the start he was forthright. He said guys need to do x,y,and z or they won't be here. Some of the guys didn't get the memo about x , y, or maybe z, and now they are gone. Hard to fault a man who tells you what you need to do because aside from your talent and ability, it is up to you if you do it or not.

Un-relatedly, I think you mention Tyrod in the way you did at peril of derailing your thread into a Tyrod thread which isn't your manifest purpose. :)

I'm just so freakin excited! :thumbsup:

Even in signing McCarron, it's very obvious that were still going to draft a QB at worst at 12 if not trading into the top five, which is still what I think we're going to do. As long as we can get Mayfield or Darnold or Rosen or Jackson, I'm super stoked! 

If we trade up to draft Allen, I'm running head-first into a wall. :doh:

1 hour ago, Kwai San said:

Lol. Exact same situation. This Review deserves thumbs up. 

This is the first time we have had a good GM, the offseason has been so interesting with such a talented GM running the team. If he lands us a franchise QB he will be executive of the year and will put us in position to be a team that is competitive year in and year our. 

Thank you for the review, I enjoyed it and agree. Things are looking up. I spoke to the only other bills fan in my bowling league this evening and we are both excited about where the team is headed. 

On a purely personal level,  as a Louisville cardinal fan I would love the excitement Lamar Jackson brings but I ask past second guessing these guys, I have faith they can make the right decisions and recognize they know more than I do.