THE ROCKPILE REVIEW - Free Agency Was Over Before It Began

Shaw66

Always loved your posts Shaw, since the BBMB days. 

I agree with everything you've said, this offseason has been a breath of fresh air. It seems like our FO finally has a real vision, and they are making whatever moves necessary to make it happen. Now we're in prime position to move up and get our guy, and that hasn't come at the expense of fixing holes throughout our team. Have to love it so far. 

I am new to posting but have always enjoyed reading your posts Shaw.  It is almost frightening with how much I agree with your posts.  With that being said these last 2 years of being a lifelong fan of the Buffalo Bills has been awesome to say the least.  

10 hours ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

Beane is young. He will learn fear.

Once he learns fear he will need to be brave.

Here is what I make of (Mc) Beane. First, he doesn't want a positive fan experience, or to sell tickets, or to have a successful business model or a regional brand. He wants to win. Everything he has done and will do is about forming a wining team. In that sense he is the exact opposite of Russ Brandon. 

Second, I don't think that he thinks he is being brave or bold or dashing or any of it. i think he just knows what he thinks he should do to win and is doing it. This is the job, this is what I need to do, and I am going to do it. That simple.

Third, guys like that can become disliked. Guys who are rather ruthless. But he has not and I don't think he will become disliked because he is direct and honest about things. From the start he was forthright. He said guys need to do x,y,and z or they won't be here. Some of the guys didn't get the memo about x , y, or maybe z, and now they are gone. Hard to fault a man who tells you what you need to do because aside from your talent and ability, it is up to you if you do it or not.

Un-relatedly, I think you mention Tyrod in the way you did at peril of derailing your thread into a Tyrod thread which isn't your manifest purpose. :)

Nice post.  I think you describe him well.

It's a quibble, but you chose the wrong words when you said he  doesn't care about the fan experience or selling tickets.  Of course he cares.   He's all about team, and the broader team he works for cares about those things, so he does too.   The thing about a guy like him is that he doesn't let caring about it change the way he does his job.   He knows his role on the broader team is build the best 53-man team he can, and he knows that by doing that the other things will take care of themselves.  

You're right about Tyrod.   I just got lazy writing.  Tyrod was a short cut, and short cuts generally get you in trouble.  

9 hours ago, billspro said:

This is the first time we have had a good GM, the offseason has been so interesting with such a talented GM running the team. If he lands us a franchise QB he will be executive of the year and will put us in position to be a team that is competitive year in and year our. 

Doing things and doing things well are two different things.   

We're all excited because Beane is doing things.    Whether he's doing them well is a question that likely won't be answered for at least a couple of years.   If three years from now Cousins is a top five quarterback and the kid we draft is a bust, no one is going to be calling Beane a good GM.   

I like what I'm seeing, but wins are what matter, not just doing things.  

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Nice post.  I think you describe him well.

It's a quibble, but you chose the wrong words when you said he  doesn't care about the fan experience or selling tickets.  Of course he cares.   He's all about team, and the broader team he works for cares about those things, so he does too.   The thing about a guy like him is that he doesn't let caring about it change the way he does his job.   He knows his role on the broader team is build the best 53-man team he can, and he knows that by doing that the other things will take care of themselves.  

Yes you are right. But that is alot of typing and I know you well enough to know that you will fill it in for me later. :)

Plus it disrupts the flow of my thrust if you will, to put in all the disclaimers.

5 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

Yes you are right. But that is alot of typing and I know you well enough to know that you will fill it in for me later. :)

Plus it disrupts the flow of my thrust if you will, to put in all the disclaimers.

You make me laugh.  Thanks. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, jpsp3434 said:

I am new to posting but have always enjoyed reading your posts Shaw.  It is almost frightening with how much I agree with your posts.  With that being said these last 2 years of being a lifelong fan of the Buffalo Bills has been awesome to say the least.  

Thsnks jp.