Cap room

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

They could but that just kicks the can down the road.

Of course it does.  

A question was  asked and I gave a guesstimate of the value we could see.  

2 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

Next year we'll have more cap room than we know what to do with. That's a good place to kick the can.

Like $100 mil and roughly 40 players under contract.  

56 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Having all of that dead cap money on our hands is a tough pill to swallow.

Eh, not so much. 

I mean, yeah it sucks for this year. But they are, IMO, being smart and getting as much of that dead money out of the way this year as possible (instead of spreading it out over 2yrs or more). 

So next year they will be in great shape with about $100M in cap. 

And they did a great job of cleaning up the Bills cap for the future. 

36 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

That can always restructure  Shady and Hughes.

Though please baby Jesus don’t let them create long term dead cap issues for RB with a ton of miles that will be 30 before camp.

can and should are very different things here for that player. You want to target guys that you fully expect to fulfill their contract if restructuring 

5 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Eh, not so much. 

I mean, yeah it sucks for this year. But they are, IMO, being smart and getting as much of that dead money out of the way this year as possible (instead of spreading it out over 2yrs or more). 

So next year they will be in great shape with about $100M in cap. 

And they did a great job of cleaning up the Bills cap for the future. 

May as well always push it later. You can rollover any unused. Essentially if you can be disciplined with your credit card it can give you flexibility, but if you are reckless you can get into trouble.

23 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

Next year we'll have more cap room than we know what to do with. That's a good place to kick the can.

Or you save the money for next year when you (hopefully) have your QB situation settled and then can go all-in on getting players.

1 hour ago, bkep32 said:

if your numbers are right that prolly pretty close to being done.  they had around 37 to 38 to start with...need around 6 to 9 for draft picks.

more like 4.5...those players necessarily displace other players from the top 51 which means the displaced players contrcts values are subtracted from the rookie contract values

Edited by matter2003

2 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

I thought they had around $20 million prior to trading Tyrod. They saved $10 million by the Tyrod trade and then however much they saved by trading Cordy. So it's gotta be higher than we think

It was around $40M going into FA. 

29 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

more like 4.5...those players necessarily displace other players from the top 51 which means the displaced players contrcts values are subtracted from the rookie contract values

They probably have 4-6 million to play with, but I would sit and wait now to grab cheap guys for depth. Don't extend and play with the cap. If there are some ways to work in another 5 million because of Wood and the trades, then do it.

One more season of Charles Clay then we can cut him!!! I hope the draft a TE to groom with our new QB.

POTENTIAL OUT: 2019, 4 YR, $33,500,000; $4,500,000 DEAD CAP

2 minutes ago, BBillsWestCoast said:

They probably have 4-6 million to play with, but I would sit and wait now to grab cheap guys for depth. Don't extend and play with the cap. If there are some ways to work in another 5 million because of Wood and the trades, then do it.

It depends on how the contracts are structured...sometimes the first year they get a lower base because they are getting all that signing bonus money up front...this is likely the case with some of the deals they have done so far

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1