I say we will not draft a QB round 1

mead107

With the Jets, & Broncos getting their QB's i think one might make it to us at 12 !! But we may not be as apt to spend more draft capital to move up .

Seeing as Defense wins championships & that we have 2 first round picks we may go D with the first & get our QB with the second of the first rounders ...

• Haha (+1) 1

As someone else said, only if teams won't trade with us.  I think McCarron can be viewed a few ways:

1)  competition

2)  insurance in case teams don't trade with us

3)  "Bridge" if teams do and we draft a rookie early

I think it is pretty clear and they are not hiding it, the intention is to draft one of the top rookie QB prospects.

Edited by NewEraBills

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well great if Thurman Thomas is there in the second let's draft him again What's Your Point?

I'm happy we signed AJ McCarron, I think he's a capable QB but he doesn't have "Franchise" written all over him.

And the place to get the rookie with the best odds of making it is the top two picks in the draft.  Maybe #3.

I'm just suggesting that not one person on here knows what will happen on draft day...lighten up brother.

I think 90%+ they draft a QB either at 12 or package to go up.

BUT, you just got a widely regarded potential QB, whats the rush to draft another QB now?  1  2  3  years from now there will be more QB's.  Why blow all your picks and have 2 QB's and only one can play.  Use the picks to fill holes and compete now.  Hapless had some analysis that showed 1 of 4 first rd QB's bust out.  Why risk it now?

What if............... trade the 12th like last year.  Move down in round one and a 1st next year

1 minute ago, MarkyMannn said:

I think 90%+ they draft a QB either at 12 or package to go up.

BUT, you just got a widely regarded potential QB, whats the rush to draft another QB now?  1  2  3  years from now there will be more QB's.  Why blow all your picks and have 2 QB's and only one can play.  Use the picks to fill holes and compete now.  Hapless had some analysis that showed 1 of 4 first rd QB's bust out.  Why risk it now?

What if............... trade the 12th like last year.  Move down in round one and a 1st next year

What if...... Crack didn't kill?

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

I'm just suggesting that not one person on here knows what will happen on draft day...lighten up brother.

No one knows what will happen, the question was what's our take.

My take is to not draft a QB in Rd 1 after accumulating the extra draft capital would be very stupid.  I'm not claiming I know what will happen, I'm giving my view, and see no need to "lighten" it.

• Thank you (+1) 1

The assumption is that we can trade further up, but what if we can't and Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield and Allen are all gone in the first 10?

Consensus seems to be that Rudolph, Jackson and Falk would be a stretch at 12 so I could see a trade down or non-QB pick. But I have a hard time believing that we wouldn't grab one of those guys before the first round is over.

I know you're on the Foles band wagon and if we can't trade up further that may end up looking more attractive, but I wouldn't do that at the expense of #12. 

• Like (+1) 1

Brandon Beane is basically standing on a mountain screaming "I'M TAKING A QB HIGH IN THE DRAFT"

He didn't make all these moves to sit at 12. He didnt make these moves to end up with Mason Rudolph at 22. He will get top the top of the draft even if it takes until draft night to announce.

• Like (+1) 1

I think it's almost a guarantee that we draft a QB round 1, especially when looking at McCarron's contract details. It doesn't look like the contract of a guy they plan on being their starting QB. IMO the numbers look like an insurance policy in case their rookie QB isn't ready to start day 1 or they somehow miss out on their guy in the draft. 

23 minutes ago, T master said:

With the Jets, & Broncos getting their QB's i think one might make it to us at 12 !! But we may not be as apt to spend more draft capital to move up .

Seeing as Defense wins championships & that we have 2 first round picks we may go D with the first & get our QB with the second of the first rounders ...

I don't believe for a second that the Jets aren't still targetting one of the QB's. Pretty sure McCown and Bridgewater are on one year deals, no?

33 minutes ago, mead107 said:

I think it is possible.  

What is your take? 

I say it depends on whether the guy they really want is still there when they get to pick.

If their QB is gone, I don't think they just settle for the "next best guy" and draft him with the first pick.    I think they will have a plan B - the second best guy on their board and go get him.    Or perhaps they surprise the crap out of us and end up trading down because they missed their guy and don't want to overdraft a different guy.

But right now I think they fully intend to go get the guy they really want.    Their Buffalo careers mostly depend on it.

I think with the signing of McCarron the Bills hope Smith or Edmunds are there at 12. Then if Jackson is there at 22 they take him. If not they go OL or CB while looking at some of the other QB targets in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. The Richmond QB may be an option in those rounds. I am not so sure they trade up as I was before. 

Edited by Floydboy12
  • Like (+1) 1