I say we will not draft a QB round 1

mead107

3 minutes ago, Bill Murray said:

My take is people on this board are not giving enough credit to the possibility of the broncos or Jets moving up and taking the QBs.  We all assume that one of the Giants, Colts, and/or Browns will be willing to trade out with us.  I think its reasonable, if not likely, that any of those teams trade out with the Jets and Broncos (wil get probably another pick this year and a high pick next year to just move down a couple spots rather than all the way back to #12).  In that scenario, Darnold, Rosen, Allen will all be gone.  Then we are trying to get up the board with limited trade down partners and potentially the Cards or a dark horse moving up to contend with.  

So all in all, i could easily see our top QB choice being taken, and McBeane deciding to go to plan B, which is draft BPA at #12 and try for Mason Rudolph or Lamar Jackson at #22. 

It's not far fetched.   That's why I liked the McCarron signing.  Not only is he competition, but he is also insurance.  There are no guarantees that we will get into the top 3 picks.  I'm sure we will do our best and Beane will be very aggressive.  But someone still has to say yes.  And if they do not I guess we just go BPA and take a QB where we can.  It will be disappointing but at least we tried.  We don't get to control what others will do.  So we'll see how it goes.  I'm hoping someone takes the bait though. 

• Like (+1) 1

If the Colts or Giants try to take advantage of our need for a QB and ask too much, this could happen, but it's unlikely. I could see Mike White in the 3rd maybe???

7 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

It's not far fetched.   That's why I liked the McCarron signing.  Not only is he competition, but he is also insurance.  There are no guarantees that we will get into the top 3 picks.  I'm sure we will do our best and Beane will be very aggressive.  But someone still has to say yes.  And if they do not I guess we just go BPA and take a QB where we can.  It will be disappointing but at least we tried.  We don't get to control what others will do.  So we'll see how it goes.  I'm hoping someone takes the bait though. 

Rudolph has a low ceiling according to what I've read. If Jackson is there at 12, I'm OK with it. I think think the Browns get Darnold and the Giants take Mayfield or Rosen. We really need to get to 3 or 4. 

32 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

If the Colts or Giants try to take advantage of our need for a QB and ask too much, this could happen, but it's unlikely. I could see Mike White in the 3rd maybe???

Rudolph has a low ceiling according to what I've read. If Jackson is there at 12, I'm OK with it. I think think the Browns get Darnold and the Giants take Mayfield or Rosen. We really need to get to 3 or 4. 

I think the Giants will take Barkley.  I'd be stunned if they take a QB in rd 1.  Although it's not out of consideration.  Actually, I take that back.  Telling the media that you are rolling with Eli could be a smokescreen.  Sure you are rolling with Eli, but that doesn't mean you don't have an eye on a replacement.  The Giants could actually take a QB.  Ughhh, the Giants are the key to this entire puzzle IMO.  If they take a QB over Barkley I think we are screwed out of the #3 pick.  It'll take a cold day in hell to get the Colts to pass on Barkley.  So then it becomes a log-jam for #4 where I can see Denver trying to jump 1 spot, the Jets trying to jump two spots and the Bills trying to jump 8 spots.  I hope this does not happen because if the Broncos or Jets offer Cleveland a 2nd round pick to move back two spots I think the Browns will make the deal with them if they covet Fitzpatrick.  By only moving back one or two spots they still get him and they pick up an extra 2nd or 3rd.  Denver has two 2nds and 3 3rds to play with.  Damn man, this is not going to be smooth sailing.

Edited by NewEraBills

The Bills have been on Darnold, Rosen and Allen forever. More so as time has gone on............ Darnold and Rosen.

Not a chance in they don't draft one.

They might have to overpay now cause there are legitimately 4 other teams looking to add QB's in this draft at the top.

I absolutely believe the plan is to move into the top-5 and draft a qb.  It seems pretty clear after the Tyrod and Glenn trades and our focus on D in FA.  However, I could see come scenario where the asking price to get into the top-5 is deemed to be just too high,  or there's a couple of surprise picks in the first 4 that causes our qb targets to drop and we sit around and grab a Baker Mayfield or Mason Rudolph further down in the first round.

54 minutes ago, Bill Murray said:

My take is people on this board are not giving enough credit to the possibility of the broncos or Jets moving up and taking the QBs.  We all assume that one of the Giants, Colts, and/or Browns will be willing to trade out with us.  I think its reasonable, if not likely, that any of those teams trade out with the Jets and Broncos (wil get probably another pick this year and a high pick next year to just move down a couple spots rather than all the way back to #12).  In that scenario, Darnold, Rosen, Allen will all be gone.  Then we are trying to get up the board with limited trade down partners and potentially the Cards or a dark horse moving up to contend with.  

So all in all, i could easily see our top QB choice being taken, and McBeane deciding to go to plan B, which is draft BPA at #12 and try for Mason Rudolph or Lamar Jackson at #22. 

People are giving virtually no credit to the possibility of other teams moving up.  When it is brought up many get defensive or pooh-pooh on the idea.  Further, the QB's could come off the board in a number of different ways.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

I absolutely believe the plan is to move into the top-5 and draft a qb.  It seems pretty clear after the Tyrod and Glenn trades and our focus on D in FA.  However, I could see come scenario where the asking price to get into the top-5 is deemed to be just too high,  or there's a couple of surprise picks in the first 4 that causes our qb targets to drop and we sit around and grab a Baker Mayfield or Mason Rudolph further down in the first round.

We have to get to 3 minimum IMO.  But it all depends on what the Giants do at 2.  If the Giants surprise and take a QB at 2, I think we're screwed out of the QB sweepstakes because I don't see the Colts passing up on Barkley at all especially with the Browns sitting at 4.

Edited by NewEraBills

6 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

People are giving virtually no credit to the possibility of other teams moving up.  When it is brought up many get defensive or pooh-pooh on the idea.  Further, the QB's could come off the board in a number of different ways.

I think this is because at this point (and this is really going to make a small intense faction of folks here pissed) ya gotta pay the price.

For example, if a team offers xxx for #2, the Bills prob have the ammo this year to match.

If the ante gets upped to three 1's - then it can still be matched and BUF still would prob have the leverage up better ammo due to 2x this year.

They have essentially hedged their bets and put their eggs in their basket.

They have a guy they LOVE and now the price will have to be met.

The next move will prob hurt, but theyve come this far they are kinda stuck... and thats ok!

It would be hard for them to be out bid, and they are in a position where they have to kinda keep up with the jones.

Sure, some here will say McCarron is/was insurance or the always popular lets trade for Nick Foles... but their fate has essentially been cast.

They wouldnt have done all this if they DIDNT believe the target is a franchise changer. Now whatever it takes to land him needs to and will be done.

Flame away Foles-Flock!!

30 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

I think the Giants will take Barkley.  I'd be stunned if they take a QB in rd 1.  Although it's not out of consideration.  Actually, I take that back.  Telling the media that you are rolling with Eli could be a smokescreen.  Sure you are rolling with Eli, but that doesn't mean you don't have an eye on a replacement.  The Giants could actually take a QB.  Ughhh, the Giants are the key to this entire puzzle IMO.  If they take a QB over Barkley I think we are screwed out of the #3 pick.  It'll take a cold day in hell to get the Colts to pass on Barkley.  So then it becomes a log-jam for #4 where I can see Denver trying to jump 1 spot, the Jets trying to jump two spots and the Bills trying to jump 8 spots.  I hope this does not happen because if the Broncos or Jets offer Cleveland a 2nd round pick to move back two spots I think the Browns will make the deal with them if they covet Fitzpatrick.  By only moving back one or two spots they still get him and they pick up an extra 2nd or 3rd.  Denver has two 2nds and 3 3rds to play with.  Damn man, this is not going to be smooth sailing.

IF this were to happen this issue is easily solved simply by adding next yrs #1. Not ideal, but problem solved

6 minutes ago, gobills1212 said:

I think this is because at this point (and this is really going to make a small intense faction of folks here pissed) ya gotta pay the price.

For example, if a team offers xxx for #2, the Bills prob have the ammo this year to match.

If the ante gets upped to three 1's - then it can still be matched and BUF still would prob have the leverage up better ammo due to 2x this year.

The next move will prob hurt, but theyve come this far they are kinda stuck... and thats ok!

It would be hard for them to be out bid, and they are in a position where they have to kinda keep up with the jones.

Sure, some here will say McCarron is/was insurance or the always popular lets trade for Nick Foles... but their fate has essentially been cast.

They wouldnt have done all this if they DIDNT believe the target is a franchise changer. Now whatever it takes to land him needs to and will be done.

Flame away Foles-Flock!!

Quite a few of them fail to understand that "ya gotta pay the price."  All too often I see a move up post include a ridiculous bid to get into the top 4.  Such as our two firsts (pre-Glenn to the Bengals), a second, and Talley's wrist wrap for pick number 2.  Then they seem to think all first round picks are equal such as when we were at 21 that Denver's pick at 5 is pretty much the same thing.

Edited by RochesterRob

3 minutes ago, gobills1212 said:

Flame away Foles-Flock!!

IF this were to happen this issue is easily solved simply by adding next yrs #1. Not ideal, but problem solved

I'm not sure I'd say that's easily solved. That's actually giving up more than Philly did and it looks like more than the Rams for a spot lower than they had.  3 first rounders??  Philly sent two first round picks (2016 and 2017), 1 second (2018), 1 third (2016), and 1 4th (2016).  This was for the #2 spot.  They paid a fortune for it.  OK.  Fine, but now you are saying that we should pay more than what they paid?  As much as I want a QB I'm not sure I can get on board with that.

Here is what the Rams had to give up:

1st 2016 and 2017

2nd x 2 2016

3rd 2016

So essentially, you're saying we should possibly pay more than what the Rams paid the Titans for the #1 spot for the #3 spot?  Certainly paying more than the Eagles paid.

15 hours ago, mead107 said:

I think it is possible.  

What is your take? 

This is the question, isn’t it? 

I reviewed some of the responses to this thread and I’m so much apprised of some of the irrationality in some of them.

It is most definitely, absolutely possible that the bills will not take a quarterback in the first round. Just because they traded up to number 12 does not 100% for certain mean there and going to get one of the top three or four quarterbacks. Whether you agree with it or not many see AJ as a potential franchise quarterback. I think it’s a distinct possibility that he is. No one knows what the brain trust is really thinking right now. If they think they got their quarterback They can use the 12 pack to get one of the top two linebackers such as Smith who I believe McDermott covets.  And, quite frankly, I would be OK with that.  However, I would be just fine if they got one of the top quarterbacks also.

Just think about it for a moment. If the BillsThink they have their guy then why not use all of the draft picks that they have to fill in the holes both on defense, particularly the linebackers and the offensive line. Not to mention getting a good wide receiver.

It could be the team believes that they now have their quarterback of the future and will do different things with their draft picks. At this point we don’t know for sure. However, if they don’t go for a quarterback in the first round I would be OK with that.

It’s not a crazy notion at all!

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

I'm not sure I'd say that's easily solved. That's actually giving up more than Philly did and it looks like more than the Rams for a spot lower than they had.  3 first rounders??  Philly sent two first round picks (2016 and 2017), 1 second (2018), 1 third (2016), and 1 4th (2016).  This was for the #2 spot.  They paid a fortune for it.  OK.  Fine, but now you are saying that we should pay more than what they paid?  As much as I want a QB I'm not sure I can get on board with that.

Here is what the Rams had to give up:

1st 2016 and 2017

2nd x 2 2016

3rd 2016

So essentially, you're saying we should possibly pay more than what the Rams paid the Titans for the #1 spot for the #3 spot?  Certainly paying more than the Eagles paid.

I have no idea what it'll take. 

Getting to this point and adding ammo has been pretty easy and pain free. 

At somepoint, its gotta hurt. MAYBE the damage will be minimized as McBeane has been pretty spot on and done well thus far.

I'm just simply saying, IF thats what it takes - then they will be able to be the high bidder save a Ditka move. 

Personally, I'm preparing for this years 2 1s and next years 1. If it happens to be less, then im surprised. If not, Im prepared and wont be aghast if it happens.

Either way, based on what we have witnessed and how this has played out thus far I think they know and plan on doing what it takes to make their guy happen.

This goes both ways though... reading other teams boards their ask is crazy high. Reading our board fans projection of what it will take is prob low.

Hopefully a happy medium will be struck. 

37 minutes ago, Mojo44 said:

This is the question, isn’t it? 

I reviewed some of the responses to this thread and I’m so much apprised of some of the irrationality in some of them.

It is most definitely, absolutely possible that the bills will not take a quarterback in the first round. Just because they traded up to number 12 does not 100% for certain mean there and going to get one of the top three or four quarterbacks. Whether you agree with it or not many see AJ as a potential franchise quarterback. I think it’s a distinct possibility that he is. No one knows what the brain trust is really thinking right now. If they think they got their quarterback They can use the 12 pack to get one of the top two linebackers such as Smith who I believe McDermott covets.  And, quite frankly, I would be OK with that.  However, I would be just fine if they got one of the top quarterbacks also.

Just think about it for a moment. If the BillsThink they have their guy then why not use all of the draft picks that they have to fill in the holes both on defense, particularly the linebackers and the offensive line. Not to mention getting a good wide receiver.

It could be the team believes that they now have their quarterback of the future and will do different things with their draft picks. At this point we don’t know for sure. However, if they don’t go for a quarterback in the first round I would be OK with that.

It’s not a crazy notion at all!

im not sure i'd use the word 'many' describing the amount of people who see AJ as a potential FQB, the team included. I dont know McBeane personally, but common sense combined with his contract is telling. Its a bridge contract if there ever was one and is about as low and disposable as they come. With where this team is at, and how early it is, there cant be a mark at 12. Rather, its the 1st shoe dropping. 

Your thoughts are well organized, but id argue the whole thing falls apart based on your premise. There hasnt been one iota of evidence based on how the offseason has been played that suggests your premise is even a remote possibility. One might even call it 'irrational'

;)

Edited by gobills1212