I say we will not draft a QB round 1

mead107

8 hours ago, akm0404 said:

I know this OP is a troll, but to address a more reasonable-sounding point that some are making:

"With the Jets, & Broncos getting their QB's i think one might make it to us at 12 !"

Please don't forget that other teams can be just as motivated to trade up and nab a potentially elite quarterback - even those without a glaring immediate need at the position.

With a position that important, you simply cannot afford to sit back and wait to see what falls to you.  Identify your guy, and if you evaluate them to possess elite potential, you do what it takes to pull the trigger.

First, by referring to mead as a troll, only demonstrates how little you know about the people on this board. How about you stick around for a while and get to know the personalities of the posters who've been here for quite some time. And honestly, you could make that argument for a few of the unfortunate souls on this board, but mead isn't one of them. If you pay attention you'll see that he is nearly always diplomatic and fair and takes the time to try and get to know people on this board....even when they're less than friendly to him, he gives them the benefit of the doubt. So, step away for a moment and recognize there is absolutely no reason to throw insults or attempt to disparage a person's character on a subject related to sports. 

Secondly, mead I'd say like many others that anything is possible, but in the scenario where they don't Draft one really high, i.e. 1-4, I still think it's likely they Draft one in the 1st round, so even if it is Jackson or Rudolph or the like later in the 1st round....now, with all their Draft capital it is "possible" (although extremely unlikely) they take their MLB at 12, DT at 22, and then trade back into the 1st round for a QB they really like but don't believe will last to the middle of the 2nd round....whomever that might be. 

But, the question - as many are not on this board - is worthy of at least some thought....

9 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

I think it's almost a guarantee that we draft a QB round 1, especially when looking at McCarron's contract details. It doesn't look like the contract of a guy they plan on being their starting QB. IMO the numbers look like an insurance policy in case their rookie QB isn't ready to start day 1 or they somehow miss out on their guy in the draft. 

Do we know if McCarron himself didn't want a mulit-year contract?   (2 years $10 to $16.5 million) It is also likely that he wanted a place where he would be the starter for the first year for sure in order to prove himself.  Then he would be valuable bait to be traded somewhere either the 2nd year as a starter (with a new longer, better paid contract) OR be a free agent after two years and cash in big-time. ??  We don't know if the Bills or McCarron wanted his contract to end after the 2nd year.

9 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

Maybe trade out of both first rounders and get more first rounders next year?

Stop it , please I don’t think health wise  I could survive something like this !!!!!!’

9 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

First, by referring to mead as a troll, only demonstrates how little you know about the people on this board. How about you stick around for a while and get to know the personalities of the posters who've been here for quite some time. And honestly, you could make that argument for a few of the unfortunate souls on this board, but mead isn't one of them. If you pay attention you'll see that he is nearly always diplomatic and fair and takes the time to try and get to know people on this board....even when they're less than friendly to him, he gives them the benefit of the doubt. So, step away for a moment and recognize there is absolutely no reason to throw insults or attempt to disparage a person's character on a subject related to sports. 

Secondly, mead I'd say like many others that anything is possible, but in the scenario where they don't Draft one really high, i.e. 1-4, I still think it's likely they Draft one in the 1st round, so even if it is Jackson or Rudolph or the like later in the 1st round....now, with all their Draft capital it is "possible" (although extremely unlikely) they take their MLB at 12, DT at 22, and then trade back into the 1st round for a QB they really like but don't believe will last to the middle of the 2nd round....whomever that might be. 

But, the question - as many are not on this board - is worthy of at least some thought....

It seemed pretty "trollish" to me as well.

And your second scenario sounds like "the JP Losman maneuver"

Pretty sure that never works out.

31 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

It seemed pretty "trollish" to me as well.

And your second scenario sounds like "the JP Losman maneuver"

Pretty sure that never works out.

Then both of you need to re-consider your comprehension as it's defined: "harass, criticize, or antagonize (someone) especially by provocatively disparaging or mocking public statements, postings, or acts"

In fact, by that very definition calling out mead as troll, only reveals the originator of the insult to be the one "trolling".....dude made a statement that was intended to be worthy of discussion, not mocking or harass or antagonize....it's a message board, intended for good, vigorous discussion...when someone starts spewing insults, we all have our intellect diminished. Moreover, be careful to pay attention to the character of the person you're so willing to throw darts at, because everyone has their days, but character stands the test of time....mead is far more balanced and even-keeled than most here....and too often on this board over the last couple months I've seen more and more of the juvenile, bully tactics to try and get people to back off their opinion or thoughts...it's uncalled for and it reduces us in our humanity. 

Dunkirk Don or Chadwick Chad or fricken Sesame Street Dumbass, whatever his name was, was virulently attacked and yeah, he was just a buffoon with a medium, but it became so ugly....I questioned his information, and allowed time to do the testing....but attacking anyone for any reason, it's just...why? Read it and move on or don't click at all....no need for it to become some macho bravado b.s. about this and that....this is supposed to be fun...and interesting....and yes, thought provoking about what many of us consider our favorite sport and our favorite team.....that's it. Real life occurs outside this board...and attacking someone crosses that line, IMO. 

1 hour ago, BigBuff423 said:

Then both of you need to re-consider your comprehension as it's defined: "harass, criticize, or antagonize (someone) especially by provocatively disparaging or mocking public statements, postings, or acts"

In fact, by that very definition calling out mead as troll, only reveals the originator of the insult to be the one "trolling".....dude made a statement that was intended to be worthy of discussion, not mocking or harass or antagonize....it's a message board, intended for good, vigorous discussion...when someone starts spewing insults, we all have our intellect diminished. Moreover, be careful to pay attention to the character of the person you're so willing to throw darts at, because everyone has their days, but character stands the test of time....mead is far more balanced and even-keeled than most here....and too often on this board over the last couple months I've seen more and more of the juvenile, bully tactics to try and get people to back off their opinion or thoughts...it's uncalled for and it reduces us in our humanity. 

Dunkirk Don or Chadwick Chad or fricken Sesame Street Dumbass, whatever his name was, was virulently attacked and yeah, he was just a buffoon with a medium, but it became so ugly....I questioned his information, and allowed time to do the testing....but attacking anyone for any reason, it's just...why? Read it and move on or don't click at all....no need for it to become some macho bravado b.s. about this and that....this is supposed to be fun...and interesting....and yes, thought provoking about what many of us consider our favorite sport and our favorite team.....that's it. Real life occurs outside this board...and attacking someone crosses that line, IMO. 

Internet troll:

"...is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting quarrels or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal, on-topic discussion,[3] often for the troll's amusement."

The topic title was "I say we will not draft a QB in round 1"

The first post gave zero insight, and zero reason why he felt this way.

It seems like it was clearly designed to just incite people to start fighting.

You seem pretty upset by the fact that more than one person thought it was a troll though.

Nobody was harassing him, just pointing out the obvious.

Relax.

3 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Internet troll:

"...is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting quarrels or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal, on-topic discussion,[3] often for the troll's amusement."

The topic title was "I say we will not draft a QB in round 1"

The first post gave zero insight, and zero reason why he felt this way.

It seems like it was clearly designed to just incite people to start fighting.

You seem pretty upset by the fact that more than one person thought it was a troll though.

Nobody was harassing him, just pointing out the obvious.

Relax.

First, when you quote him you forgot to include the question, "I think it is possible - what is your take?".....in other words, the title was intended to get people talking about their various opinions...you know, what a message board is designed for?

As for relax, nope I'm good......too often on this board various people think it's acceptable to just toss around insults like "troll" without being called to the carpet for what would amount to a verbal shoving match...it's juvenile and unnecessary. 

Additionally, I think it's interesting you searched the internet for a definition that suits your narrative and yet it contradicts the very thing you accuse mead of doing....it wasn't inflammatory, it was a question not an accusation or statement and you bold one portion of it but leave off the first portion, to take the definition out of context. The first part of that statement is "extraneous or off-topic messages in an online community WITH THE INTENT...".....it wasn't off topic at all but you talk to mead about his intent to provoke an "emotional response" that would be unrelated to Bills news, information, or opinions.

Regardless, we disagree and you've revealed yourself for what you are....fine. Enjoy the day Sir.

2 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

First, when you quote him you forgot to include the question, "I think it is possible - what is your take?".....in other words, the title was intended to get people talking about their various opinions...you know, what a message board is designed for?

As for relax, nope I'm good......too often on this board various people think it's acceptable to just toss around insults like "troll" without being called to the carpet for what would amount to a verbal shoving match...it's juvenile and unnecessary. 

Additionally, I think it's interesting you searched the internet for a definition that suits your narrative and yet it contradicts the very thing you accuse mead of doing....it wasn't inflammatory, it was a question not an accusation or statement and you bold one portion of it but leave off the first portion, to take the definition out of context. The first part of that statement is "extraneous or off-topic messages in an online community WITH THE INTENT...".....it wasn't off topic at all but you talk to mead about his intent to provoke an "emotional response" that would be unrelated to Bills news, information, or opinions.

Regardless, we disagree and you've revealed yourself for what you are....fine. Enjoy the day Sir.

Troll isn't an insult.

It's what the post seemed like.

Relax.

I asked for your opinion on the possibility of it. I think it is a possibility just Iike trading up is. 

We have a lot of other needs. 

And south boy fan how far south in NY do you live? 

Are you a season ticket holder or do you just come up for a game or 2 ? 

Come to Hammer’s lot and enjoy a tailgate with our group. First beer on me. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

Do we know if McCarron himself didn't want a mulit-year contract?   (2 years $10 to $16.5 million) It is also likely that he wanted a place where he would be the starter for the first year for sure in order to prove himself.  Then he would be valuable bait to be traded somewhere either the 2nd year as a starter (with a new longer, better paid contract) OR be a free agent after two years and cash in big-time. ??  We don't know if the Bills or McCarron wanted his contract to end after the 2nd year.

I meant more how the contract is a total bargain and all based on his playing time. 

If they planned on him taking 100% of the snaps as QB1, they wouldn't have written the contract the way they did IMO. 

He gets a bonus if he hits 60% of the snaps in year 1, then another bonus for 75% of the snaps. And then its the same thing with year 2 of the contract.

If he doesn't meet a certain % of snaps, the contract is for backup money. 

To me, it seems like a good insurance policy. They have a guy who will be a reasonable priced backup if the rookie beats him out, and can start games if the rookie isn't ready. 

9 hours ago, xRUSHx said:

Next year's QB class is garbage compared to this year's. This is the year to spend to get one and with only Peterman and Mcbackup signed they are only short term fillin so IMO there is no choice but to go all in to move up and address the QB position with one of the 3 top talents from this draft.

"Top talent" in all drafts gets subjective at some point. I think 5 QBs will be taken in the first and 4 will be taken in the top 15. I agree this year's QB crop is one of the best in years and it is very likely the Bills will trade up to get one of the top 4. We can't say for sure what McBeane is thinking. Who they like and who they dont. One of the reasons I like this FO. They appear to think years ahead. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, mead107 said:

I think it is possible.  

What is your take? 

I could easily see them either are moving all the way to the top, or not taking a QB until the third round. There is no significant difference between half a dozen QBs after #1. Mostly, likely, average NFL QBs at best or guys that will need time to learn. Personally I think it's Darnold or try to grab Falk or Lauletta at 65 or less. (Notable, both of those guys are seniors.)

This is a management team more than willing to take all of you losing your heads because they didn't do what you wanted them to do. 

My take is people on this board are not giving enough credit to the possibility of the broncos or Jets moving up and taking the QBs.  We all assume that one of the Giants, Colts, and/or Browns will be willing to trade out with us.  I think its reasonable, if not likely, that any of those teams trade out with the Jets and Broncos (wil get probably another pick this year and a high pick next year to just move down a couple spots rather than all the way back to #12).  In that scenario, Darnold, Rosen, Allen will all be gone.  Then we are trying to get up the board with limited trade down partners and potentially the Cards or a dark horse moving up to contend with.  

So all in all, i could easily see our top QB choice being taken, and McBeane deciding to go to plan B, which is draft BPA at #12 and try for Mason Rudolph or Lamar Jackson at #22. 

• Thank you (+1) 1