Bills sign Trent Murphy

8 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

Just putting this out there.  It really makes me wonder if there is some relation between newly signed DE Trent Murphy and Bills announcer John Murphy.  There is definitely a resemblance but IDK it could just be me.

Yes because John Murphy’s genes just scream professional athlete 

• Haha (+1) 1

• SDS pinned this topic

Perhaps this has been written elsewhere in the thread, but ... this was among the comments as the guy came out of college. Process, process, process. Just high quality people first. It's things like this quote that would shock me to hear us taking Josh Rosen.

"Tough, smart and hardworking with a throwback personality. Leader vocally and by example. Will hold teammates accountable and represent the program with class."

I think he'll be marginally better than Chris Kelsay was. He is 6'6, he was slow before the ACL and I wonder if he can get back to 100%. I think if he were coming out in this year's draft he'd be a 2nd round pick. Jerry Hughes is also not getting any younger, by the end of the year it could be Murphy and Lawson starting together.

45 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

I think he'll be marginally better than Chris Kelsay was. He is 6'6, he was slow before the ACL and I wonder if he can get back to 100%. I think if he were coming out in this year's draft he'd be a 2nd round pick. Jerry Hughes is also not getting any younger, by the end of the year it could be Murphy and Lawson starting together.

He is NOT slow.

He's actually very athletic--for the last 5 draft classes (2014-2018) Murphy has the 7th best 3-cone time among DLmen and LBs.

Given the relative lack of EDGE talent in this year's draft, he'd be flirting with round 1 consideration.

The concern about return from injury, however, is a salient point.

Edited by thebandit27
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Good pickup.   Hughes is on his way out.

The local talking TV heads last night seemed to think he would be on the other side, and work with Hughes (if he was healthy enough and stayed that way)

Edited by CodeMonkey

14 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

He is NOT slow.

He's actually very athletic--for the last 5 draft classes (2014-2018) Murphy has the 7th best 3-cone time among DLmen and LBs.

Given the relative lack of EDGE talent in this year's draft, he'd be flirting with round 1 consideration.

The concern about return from injury, however, is a salient point.

He's athletic and has good speed. But I wouldn't say he is an explosive player like Von Miller or Haley. (Just using style of play as the example). Someone else smartly compared him to Kerrigan from the Skins. Without question he is an unrelenting pass and maximum effort player. He will never be considered an elite pass rusher but he will be considered a good rusher who plays his position responsibly. While Hughes can be suckered into plays with his maniacal desire to get to the passer Murphy plays his position as a pass rusher with a greater awareness to his other responsibilities. 

As I have stated before this is a terrific pickup from a number of standpoints. The wrestling coach is systematically adding players who fit his preferred profile. He is noticeably adding players who increase the intelligent quotient for the team. The HC reconfigured the defensive backfield last year with smart and intuitive players, and is steadily doing that with the roster. The McDermott profile is the opposite of the Rex roguish profile. Intelligence matters!

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

He's athletic and has good speed. But I wouldn't say he is an explosive player like Von Miller or Haley. (Just using style of play as the example). Someone else smartly compared him to Kerrigan from the Skins. Without question he is an unrelenting pass and maximum effort player. He will never be considered an elite pass rusher but he will be considered a good rusher who plays his position responsibly. While Hughes can be suckered into plays with his maniacal desire to get to the passer Murphy plays his position as a pass rusher with a greater awareness to his other responsibilities. 

As I have stated before this is a terrific pickup from a number of standpoints. The wrestling coach is systematically adding players who fit his preferred profile. He is noticeably adding players who increase the intelligent quotient for the team. The HC reconfigured the defensive backfield last year with smart and intuitive players, and is steadily doing that with the roster. The McDermott profile is the opposite of the Rex roguish profile. Intelligence matters!

Miller was a generational edge rusher in terms of athleticism.

That's like drafting a guy like tre white and saying "well he's no deion Sanders"

1 minute ago, SouthNYfan said:

Miller was a generational edge rusher in terms of athleticism.

That's like drafting a guy like tre white and saying "well he's no deion Sanders"

You missed the point. I was referring to style of play and not comparing players. Go back and reread it and you will have a better understanding what my point was. 

14 minutes ago, JohnC said:

5 minutes ago, JohnC said:

You missed the point. I was referring to style of play and not comparing players. Go back and reread it and you will have a better understanding what my point was. 

I read your point.

I agree with the rest of the post.

I was pointing out that very few are that explosive, and I don't think it's fair to knock him because he isn't.

17 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

I read your point.

I agree with the rest of the post.

I was pointing out that very few are that explosive, and I don't think it's fair to knock him because he isn't.

Go back again and reread what I said about him. I wasn't knocking him. I stated clearly that I'm ecstatic with the signing. I was just describing his style of play. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Go back again and reread what I said about him. I wasn't knocking him. I stated clearly that I'm ecstatic with the signing. I was just describing his style of play. 

Fair.

I'll agree with you, I was misunderstanding even after a couple of reads.

I'd buy you a beer and shake hands of we lived close. :)