Bills sign Trent Murphy

2 minutes ago, Starr Almighty said:

I was just about to post these same exact words. Once I read blue collar and lunchpail Kelsay came to mind

Kelsay's best year was 5.5 sacks (2006).    Murphy could/should be much better than that, if not used in a rotational role...

31 minutes ago, billspro said:

I do like Stanford dlineman. 

9 sacks in 2016 is nothing to laugh about. We are definitely buying low on this guy. Similar to our approach in FA last year. 

I bet we draft Harrison Phillips DT, Stanford this year. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Way to much money for Murphy.Between him and Kyle..that's 13 million.Not good.

Keep in mind Kyle is for one year and we could get a rookie this year or next year who will take over for Kyle at some point and have that contract versus a fat vet contract.

Trent Murphy was suspended first four games of 2017 for testing positive to PED's -- which Murphy claims was related to a generic supplement he was taking and has since switched to a more common type. He said he couldn't even pronounce the substance that he was busted for....

The 6-foot-5, 290-pound Murphy explained that his suspension stemmed from the use of what he believes was a tainted supplement. Murphy said he couldn’t even pronounce the name of the banned substance that was found in his system, but he got rid of all of his supplements and has since switched to a brand that is more closely monitored.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/football-insider/wp/2017/05/24/redskins-trent-murphy-working-to-move-on-from-disappointing-suspension/?utm_term=.a1010f67237e

Also -- (from a different article) I found this interesting speaking about his 2016 season. I wonder if the PED's were related to his rapid weight gain/loss...

The Redskins decided to switch him to defensive end at the start of last offseason ahead of his third season. Murphy gained nearly 30 pounds as part of the adjustment to his new role during offseason practices. The team lacked depth at outside linebacker, however, after Junior Galette tore his Achilles’ tendon for the second straight year and was placed on the non-football injury list before the team reported to Richmond. With a roster relying mainly on Kerrigan and Smith at the position, the Redskins decided to switch Murphy back to outside linebacker during training camp.

It forced Murphy to cut the weight he had gained in anticipation of playing defensive end, but he was still able to produce his most productive season in the NFL under then-position coach Greg Manusky, who was promoted to defensive coordinator this offseason.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/football-insider/wp/2017/03/05/redskins-linebacker-trent-murphy-is-facing-a-four-game-ped-suspension/?utm_term=.c69d47806088

33 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Super twitchy edge rusher with good size. 

A signing with upside who should give us some speed off the edge that Lawson hasn't provided. 

You said he was twitchy. Does he adhd like marcel Darius?

1 minute ago, RochesterRob said:

Keep in mind Kyle is for one year and we could get a rookie this year or next year who will take over for Kyle at some point and have that contract versus a fat vet contract.

I'm not worried about next year..we'll be under by about 90 million...we are tapped now.

If Hughes and Lawson AREN'T on their way out....................

I guess the Bills plan is have 20 DE's this year.

Aren't they supposedly moving Alexander back to an exclusive pass rushing role? If so, it gets really complicated then.

Stop with the Kelsay comparison, you guys are making yourselves look bad. Murphy was the top performer at the combine for 3 cone drill and is a much better pass rusher. In college Kelsay had 13 TOTAL sacks in 43 games while Murphy led the country with 15 his senior year. 

Kelsay never had more than 5.5 sacks in a year, Murphy had 9 his 3rd year. 

At least say Schobel if you're going to be that lazy about it.

Edited by elroy16
  • Like (+1) 3

31 minutes ago, USABuffaloFan said:

Is he a DE or outside LB in a 4-3. My guess Alexander is gone and he plays linebacker with Bradham soon outside. Lawson and Hughes still the DE's.

Umm Bradham is re-signing with Philly so Murphy won't be playing with him anytime soon.

Just now, njbuff said:

If Hughes and Lawson AREN'T on their way out....................

I guess the Bills plan is have 20 DE's this year.

Aren't they supposedly moving Alexander back to an exclusive pass rushing role? If so, it gets really complicated then.

Not all with make the team...90 players come in to camp