Wait a second...What About Shaq Lawson????

I really like Shaq's potential, but I'd call the Saints and offer them Shaq or Hughes for AJ Klein. We get our middle backer and they get the edge defender they've needed opposite Cam Jordan for quite some time. New Orleans was very high on Shaq coming out, before they picked Sheldon Rankins. 

We have a ton of dead money this year already, and his cap hit doubles if we trade him/release him.

2 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

Totally missed this when I posted mine sorry.  

I think we keep him and he ends up being a rotational guy with Jerry and Murphy.  Then we decide what to do with him and Hughes next year when their cap hits increase. 

Murphy only took 60% of snaps in his best year 2016.  Having Lorax, Shaq, and Yarbrough gives us depth for injuries, as well as rotation to keep the best pass rushers on the field.  

Regardless of what team Shaq is on this year, it's a GIGANTIC year for him as a pro. If Beane were to move him, I'd much prefer the "Cordy Glenn" method where you package him to move up in a round. If you look at the 'point charts' we ended getting 2nd round value for Cordy. For example, maybe Shaq + #12 can get you into top 7 w/o parting ways with #22. 

He's cheap... Why get rid of cheap 1st round DE talent? He could have a better year this season. I don't see him going anywhere. Good against the run and he will have some fresh talent lining up beside him on the line. I see our pash rush making big improvements this season. It was nearly non existent last year so it can only get better.

8 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

I know a lot if folks want him gone but you have to keep a couple things in mind. 

1.  He's only 21 games into his career.  One that was put on pause due to his injury in rookie year.  

2.  Take his rookie season away and he wasn't exactly surrounded with talent to take pressure off him.  Dareus was loafing around.  Hughes was ok at best.  The rest of our DTs outside of Kyle are back ups at best.   This year he could rotate to be across from Hughes or Murphy and have star and Kyle commanding double team's. 

3.  He's in rookie deal worth 2.8M.  That's fairly cheap. 

4.  If they keep him and he plays well this year it makes Hughes and his high cap hit expendable or makes him better trade bait.  

5.  Against the run he's actually decent. So he would be good to rotate in.

Guy tells me he stays and earns a spot and we end up with a great rotation of DEs. 

Agreed.  He is quite young, adjusting for mostly missing rookie season, he is really just after his rookie season.  Bills fans don’t need to look past our own roster (Jerry Hughes) to find an example of a player who took more than a season to develop.

Lawson may never be a great pass rusher, but he may become a very good run defender/decent pass rusher - think of a guy like Chris Kelsey.  Now, Kelsey was a very good player for the Bills, though many here didn’t like him because he didn’t lead the league in sacks.

On 3/15/2018 at 7:00 AM, richardb1952 said:

He is a little slow off the snap 

21 hours ago, TigerJ said:

Shaq Lawson is not especially twitchy

This is like saying Rob Johnson was "a little slow on the draw".

It's a critical flaw..........he is probably the least twitchy/slowest DE off the ball in the NFL.     Not exaggerating..........it's pretty stark how bad his get-off is.

If he could at least get to the point where he isn't letting the RT setup camp and start roasting marshmallows before he crosses the LOS he would have a chance to be quite good, IMO.

He's got strength and good hands and his feet/lateral quickness is pretty quick once he gets going.     But most of the battle in pass rush is getting the OT off-balance at the snap.

23 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

I think that Whaley no matter what was put in a bad spot with the hiring of Rex. The Bills had a defensive unit perfect for a 4-3 system and they forced in Rex who as good a defense coach as he was simply was jamming a square peg into a round hole. So Whaley tried to draft players (Shaq, Ragland, and Washington) to suit Rex's scheme but Rex was gone one year later. So McD and Beane had decided to switch back to the 4-3 and Whaley's last draft class was out of place.

Whaley's drafts from 2013-2015 weren't terrible a lot of players from those draft classes are highly productive players in the league (which proves that they were talented players) sure there were some busts (EJ, Cyrus) but overall I thought they weren't bad not good but not as awful as a lot of people thought. 

Don’t worry folks.  I am preparing a Hits and Misses on Doug Whaley.  He didn’t have a lot of “highly productive players.”  In fact, he had mostly misses with a few surprises.  His strength was not the draft.  

6 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Don’t worry folks.  I am preparing a Hits and Misses on Doug Whaley.  He didn’t have a lot of “highly productive players.”  In fact, he had mostly misses with a few surprises.  His strength was not the draft.  

Please don't.  Bump one of the existing threads on this very topic if you really can't control the urge, but for the love of God, no more Whaley draft threads.

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

Please don't.  Bump one of the existing threads on this very topic if you really can't control the urge, but for the love of God, no more Whaley draft threads.

No such thing as too many threads bashing Whaley. Carry on, BuffaloRush. :D

• Like (+1) 1

If we are going to get rid of (A.) J.Hughes or (B.) Shaq Lawson, then who will we start in their place (realistically)? I believe signing Murphy was a move to make Lawson more of the rotational guy. Lawson will play but definitely rotate as I believe Murphy will (with some of the inside depth depending on his weight next yr.) as well. Plus, literally what additional DE depth do you think we have gained to make either of our starters expendable all because we added ONE new DE??

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

Oh, we aren’t worried about missing the next installment of your award winning series.