Bills sign QB AJ McCarron

7 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Tyrod wasn't functioning well in the pocket, the system that McD wants to implement is one where a QB functions as a pocket pass. I don't think McD viewed Tyrod's mobility as a negative but they weren't going to build a system around his best asset if Tyrod just wasn't able to work effectively in the pocket. But I think that just because McCarron will function better in the pocket doesn't mean that all of these issues at QB are fixed. 

I think that McD and Beane feel as though McCarron is a better fit for the system they plan to run. But just because a QB might be a better fit to run the offensive scheme you plan to implement doesn't guarantee results. McCarron might work better out of the pocket but he likely isn't going to generate the same plays with his legs and who knows how aggressive the offense will be? McD is a conservative coach, in general, why wouldn't his offense be risk averse? 

All coaches want a pocket passer.       The running back’s function is to run.  

Lets not blame McD for Taylor’s limitations. 

Its all over now, let’s look forward to AJ and our draft. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, #34fan said:

Whatever it is you think Tyrod brought to the game,  McBeane & co. were over it... It's why they benched him to check out the rookie. -And,  why the team traded him without evenhaving a replacement....There's no way they even LOOK at McCarron if they think he represents more of the same...

The bolded speaks volumes.  

And it is my opinion that is the same reason they don’t draft Lamar Jackson. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 3/14/2018 at 8:41 PM, BadLandsMeanie said:

It was like Dennison thought Peterman was amazing and just threw him in full speed. I don't think Peterman had a prayer.

I hope he has influence with his new front office and can convince them to trade for P5terman

3 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

My main point is that some fans are delusional in thinking that McCarron is going to be a gunslinger QB who throws for 300 yards a game. Now could that happen? Yes anything is possible but expecting that to happen isn't logical based off of the evidence of his college and pro career thus far.

A lot of the complaints about Tyrod (Doesn't throw the ball downfield enough, too conservative, and checks down on 3rd and long) always existed with every single Bills QB since I have been following this message board and other message boards about football and the Bills. JP Losman throws deep but hardly hits and can't work the intermediate area of the field, Trent Edwards was captain check down, Fitz could only throw short, EJ way too conservative, and Tyrod as we all know. Bledsoe towards the end suffered from can't get the ball downfield and too conservative the last 2 years, I wasn't monitoring the internet during the Flutie and Rob Johnson eras but I bet a lot here were saying a lot of the same about those two QB's. 

This teams QB issues didn't start with Tyrod. Hell Tyrod was the best Bills QB for a 3 year stretch since Jim Kelley arguably (I think Flutie being the only reasonable QB you could argue.) Now that's not praising Tyrod all that much that's more knocking on the lack of quality QB's that the team has had the past 22 years since Kelly retired. To hammer home the point, I expect AJ to be a game manager and a lot of the checkdowns and turnover averse play to continue. McCarron has played that way since college and I don't expect that to change. Now you can win with that type of QB since low turnovers and a QB That can make a few plays here or there is a winning formula but come September if AJ is starting I would wager that you would hear echos of the same complaints that have plagued Bills QB's for the past 22 years. 

15 hours ago, #34fan said:

He's only started 3 NFL games... And it's part of backup's job to avert risks so you don't F___-up leads in big games...

He's always performed well at the job given to him.  There's no cause to doubt he'll keep on doing that.

If McCarron had won two National championships with any other team besides Alabama chances are he would have been drafted higher and A J's pro career would have taken off quicker in my humble opinion. McCarron played well in big games. NFL QB's like Watson and Newton are examples of what winning a championship for any other team not named Alabama can do to help kick start their pro career IMO.

Don't underestimate this kids potential...

3 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

Russell Wilson doesn't work that great in the pocket (Although, he is a lot better out of the pocket now) he runs to throw and runs to churn out yards and first downs. He scrambles a lot which affords his WR's the chance to make plays down the field. Granted Wilson is an exception to the rule but I think that saying running is a running backs function ignores the idea of a QB who can pass out of the pocket and run. 

Give me Cam Newton, prime Eagles Michael Vick, and to a lesser extent Andrew Luck as my QB any day of the week. All three players can do the standard pocket passing but all 3 were able to work effectively with their legs and do great things keeping plays alive and adding yards and first downs with running plays. I would take that additional level of dynamic playmaking any day of the week provided that such a QB also plays out of the pocket well. 

Tyrod never played out of the pocket well which just crushed his ability to function well in any offense not completely designed around him (Much like Seattle redesigned their offense around Russell Wilson.) McD didn't see a future with Tyrod and they got good value for him in a trade. But my main point in the original post is that going off of McCarron's body of work conservative QB play is likely to continue. 

All The Bills fans complaining about Josh Allen's inaccuracy in college should be in heaven about McCarron at Alabama with his 66.95 comp % and never going below 60%. 77 TD's vs 15 INT's. This kid has had time to sit and learn the last three years so he should be ready to start and play well.

Of all the free agent franchise wannabes this kid might actually be the best of the bunch and Buffalo got him cheap comparatively.  Love what this new regime is doing.

• Like (+1) 2

Will miss TT and wish him the best but what McBeane have done so far in FA is genius. AJ has some serious potential, we've likely seen the ceiling for Keenum, Cou$in$, McCown, Siemian. Injury risks for Teddy and Bradford are too high. We paid AJ peanuts... 2x Champ AJ, had that trade gone through with the Browns (duh idk how that happened) they were willing to spend more for AJ than what was paid for Jimmy G in the 9ers/Pats miracle (glad he's out of our division). Obviously we can't say AJ is better because his price tag was higher, but we also can't dismiss how great he could be.

I hope Bills Brass stay at 12 and pick whoever is the best value. Considering how quickly teams wave goodbye to players these days, it's time to use our heads. Not the little ones we're icing from last years belly flop table drop. 

4 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

My main point is that some fans are delusional in thinking that McCarron is going to be a gunslinger QB who throws for 300 yards a game. Now could that happen? Yes anything is possible but expecting that to happen isn't logical based off of the evidence of his college and pro career thus far.

A lot of the complaints about Tyrod (Doesn't throw the ball downfield enough, too conservative, and checks down on 3rd and long) always existed with every single Bills QB since I have been following this message board and other message boards about football and the Bills. JP Losman throws deep but hardly hits and can't work the intermediate area of the field, Trent Edwards was captain check down, Fitz could only throw short, EJ way too conservative, and Tyrod as we all know. Bledsoe towards the end suffered from can't get the ball downfield and too conservative the last 2 years, I wasn't monitoring the internet during the Flutie and Rob Johnson eras but I bet a lot here were saying a lot of the same about those two QB's. 

This teams QB issues didn't start with Tyrod. Hell Tyrod was the best Bills QB for a 3 year stretch since Jim Kelley arguably (I think Flutie being the only reasonable QB you could argue.) Now that's not praising Tyrod all that much that's more knocking on the lack of quality QB's that the team has had the past 22 years since Kelly retired. To hammer home the point, I expect AJ to be a game manager and a lot of the checkdowns and turnover averse play to continue. McCarron has played that way since college and I don't expect that to change. Now you can win with that type of QB since low turnovers and a QB That can make a few plays here or there is a winning formula but come September if AJ is starting I would wager that you would hear echos of the same complaints that have plagued Bills QB's for the past 22 years. 

McCarron threw for a total of 9,019 yards, 77 TD's/15 INT's,  162.5 QB rating for the tide on a run 1st O.

Not to mention winning 2 National Championships.

I realize until McCarron goes out and performs at a high level what he has and hasn't done in the past is all everyone has to go on.

Myself personally, I have very high hopes for A J McCarrron

25 minutes ago, Figster said:

McCarron threw for a total of 9,019 yards, 77 TD's/15 INT's,  162.5 QB rating for the tide on a run 1st O.

Not to mention winning 2 National Championships.

I realize until McCarron goes out and performs at a high level what he has and hasn't done in the past is all everyone has to go on.

Myself personally, I have very high hopes for A J McCarrron

I am hoping for the best with McCarron I think he has a chance to be a good QB. But my ire is with a lot of people thinking that because Tyrod is gone all the issues that plagued the offense are magically fixed and we will see McCarron be a 300 yard a game QB because the only thing holding the offense back from greatness was a QB that liked to run too much. The skill positions are lacking and the right side of the offensive line is still a mess. 

Tyrod was an issue for the offense but he wasn't the only issue for the offense and Tyrod being gone doesn't equate to the offense not having similar issues that have plagued Bills QB play for over 20 years. 

4 hours ago, Estelle Getty said:

Stop talking about Tyrod already....He is gone.  We don't argue if Trent Edwards was better than JP Losman anymore do we?

Tyrod was traded less than 2 weeks ago and is the most recent QB move the team made, let's not act like talking about the former QB of the team in the previous season isn't relevant to talking about how the offense will function differently in 2018 compared to 2017. It's not completely an irrelevant topic. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Fitz could only throw short

Wrong there. Every year he has played he has thrown 50+ yard passes.  He has the record for longest TD (to TO) not Kelly, not Bledsoe, etc throwing 50 yards from endzone (although yards thrown were longer) to make a 98 yard TD.  Fitzpatrick issue was NOT that he could not throw long, it was he was a gunslinger like Farve but did not make enough great plays to counteract the "oh shuck" plays.

16 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Wrong there. Every year he has played he has thrown 50+ yard passes.  He has the record for longest TD (to TO) not Kelly, not Bledsoe, etc throwing 50 yards from endzone (although yards thrown were longer) to make a 98 yard TD.  Fitzpatrick issue was NOT that he could not throw long, it was he was a gunslinger like Farve but did not make enough great plays to counteract the "oh shuck" plays.

I could dig into the archives but I was a regular poster around here during the Fitz years and there were consistent complaints that Fitz didn't get the ball down the field consistently enough. A lot of posters would consistently complain about Fitz throwing a 7 yard slant to Stevie on a 3rd and 10. Fitz threw a lot of bad picks because he was too willing to throw in tight windows and force things when the team was down. 

1 minute ago, Dopey said:

Were we allowed to bring AJ in for a workout prior to signing him? Just curious. Thanks for any help with this question.

I'm pretty sure they signed him without meeting with him. Beane talked a lot about all of the people he talked to before they made AJ the offer. AJ then talked about how cool it was to step off the plane and feeling like it was a college atmosphere. So I'm pretty sure it was the first time he was there. 

I do think there is a good chance the Bills are going to be pleasantly surprised with what they are getting and that may lead to them feeling a bit less pressure to move up in the draft. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/17/2018 at 6:02 PM, billsfan89 said:

I could dig into the archives but I was a regular poster around here during the Fitz years and there were consistent complaints that Fitz didn't get the ball down the field consistently enough. 

Yes there were uninformed constant complainers and still are. Your point? Stats prove otherwise.

On 3/17/2018 at 6:47 PM, Dopey said:

Were we allowed to bring AJ in for a workout prior to signing him? Just curious. Thanks for any help with this question.

No for technically he was not a free agent until he shortly before he was signed during the legal tampering period.

On 3/17/2018 at 6:51 PM, MrEpsYtown said:

I'm pretty sure they signed him without meeting with him. Beane talked a lot about all of the people he talked to before they made AJ the offer. AJ then talked about how cool it was to step off the plane and feeling like it was a college atmosphere. So I'm pretty sure it was the first time he was there. 

I do think there is a good chance the Bills are going to be pleasantly surprised with what they are getting and that may lead to them feeling a bit less pressure to move up in the draft. 

I thought his introductory press conference was great.

And I'm glad if he feels better having met here and the Bills feel better having met him and worked him out.

But I am not going to be as happy as they are if it turns out the never laid eyes on the guy in person before they offered him a contract. Holy cow. I will be waiting to find out more as it becomes available.

1 minute ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

I thought his introductory press conference was great.

And I'm glad if he feels better having met here and the Bills feel better having met him and worked him out.

But I am not going to be as happy as they are if it turns out the never laid eyes on the guy in person before they offered him a contract. Holy cow. I will be waiting to find out more as it becomes available.

I think that is just the way things are with free agency now. I don't think any of those guys who signed early took visits. I do like that Beane said they watched every single one of his throws. They did their homework on the type of player he is, and set a value. I love this approach. Also, they mostly likely met him in combine interviews years ago. 

It isn't perfect, but I think that's the way of free agency now.