Bills sign QB AJ McCarron

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
11 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

I gotta fever for more Dee Dee Bonner ?????

Me too, I would rather get with Dee Dee myself. 

42 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Cover 1 did a breakdowm of his film. It isn't pretty:

https://www.cover1.net/a-closer-look-at-qb-aj-mccarron/

Hopefully we just intend to have him compete with Peterman for the backup position. They actually are somewhat similar QBs.

Their draft profiles and measurables are actually really close. McCarron had an amazing college career and probably has a slightly stronger arm. Other than that it is very close. I feel like McCarron is what Peterman could be after some development. So right now McCarron > Peterman. 

13 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

It may be more likely that Allen could be had around the 10 spot with more teams answering their own QB questions so w/o pressure to move up in the top of the around Beane might keep his 12 and package 22 with one of our seconds and perhaps a sweetener pick to go up to 10 to get him.  This way he gets LB Smith as well as a QB who can sit.

Not sure on Allen, but I like this strategy better than giving up too much to get a top 5 pick. If we can get one of the 5 first tier QBs at the cost of our 22 and a 2nd, and still are able to use our picks in the 1st 3 rounds to get Smith and still fill our worst holes,  it is a win, win over spending all our draft capital on a flawed top 5 pick and the risk of having nothing to show for this draft but a bust. That risky strategy could set us back for 3-4 more years.

1 minute ago, BigdaddyinOrlando said:

Apologize if it's been covered already in the past pages but I'm curious if he counts into the compensatory pick equation , or does he not due to the grievance issue that he was released on. Thanks

He does.

51 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Cover 1 did a breakdowm of his film. It isn't pretty:

https://www.cover1.net/a-closer-look-at-qb-aj-mccarron/

Hopefully we just intend to have him compete with Peterman for the backup position. They actually are somewhat similar QBs.

I like Cover 1 a great deal, Eric does some great stuff! And I completely respect his opinion but just for balance, Dan Orlovsky really likes AJ McCarron and even to admitting he didn't think he was a great QB until he started watching his video over his short NFL career. He does some nice breakdowns on Twitter with video and explanations...I have no idea if McCarron will pan out to anything more than a place holder, but I will say I think this is the best the Bills have done in terms of giving themselves viable, reasonably priced options in a very long time. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

So what happened earlier in the day there were reports we had signed Derek Anderson, were they false? Or did we sign two QB's yesterday?

Was a fake schefter account on twitter.  Never happened.

14 minutes ago, simpleman said:

Not sure on Allen, but I like this strategy better than giving up too much to get a top 5 pick. If we can get one of the 5 first tier QBs at the cost of our 22 and a 2nd, and still are able to use our picks in the 1st 3 rounds to get Smith and still fill our worst holes,  it is a win, win over spending all our draft capital on a flawed top 5 pick and the risk of having nothing to show for this draft but a bust. That risky strategy could set us back for 3-4 more years.

I think that Beane really covets Roquan Smith and is leaving a spot open to this point for him on our roster.  Getting someone such as Allen who should be able to sit for a year is a bonus as his biggest shortcomings such as level of competition while in college can be addressed this way.   Rosen might have more upside but he carries more negatives as well.

• Like (+1) 1