Bills sign QB AJ McCarron

This is great wheelin' and dealin'.

When the Bills made the trade up to 12 and got the third for Tyrod, I was excited...but this week I was just waiting for them to do something Billsy and trade a few of those draft picks for Foles or another QB under contract, thereby wasting picks. Instead, they play it perfectly: wait for McCarron to slip through the cracks and sign him for cheap. 

Perfect QB for the situation. Even better price. Great pedigree and some real untapped talent. He's at least as potentially good as Foles or Keenum. 

Guys, this off-season has been a solid A so far:

• The 1st pick in the 3rd round for Tyrod
  • Moving up to 12 for Cordy Glenn
  • Star and Murphy become instant starters
  • decent depth with the safety, LB, and DE signing
  • Now McCarron

If Star and Murphy give us half of what Poyer and Hyde did last year, those signings are a home run. 

If for some reason, we don't get the right price for trading up, we still have a plethora of picks to build the team around McCarron. 

...But yeah, let's go get Rosen or Darnold! 

Bravo to Beane and the FO. These guys are doing WORK.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

Our first McCarron hater.      I’m sure your group will grow in time.  

I'm quite happy with the signing actually. He's just not any good as a starter. He's here to be a backup and he came dirt cheap, and it all but assures us of taking one of the top three QBs. I'm very pleased.

Finally a good QB one that had over 60% completion through out his entire career !!

I can't wait to see him prove to the Bills fans he was worth the move & watch them jump on the band wagon !! 

Believe in the process GO BILLS !! 

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, T-Bomb said:

Are you really this clueless?

You see clueless, I see fans who literally will determine how much they like a player based, in part, on how much the team paid for him.

There is only one thing that will determine if McCarron was a good hire: if he plays well. To suggest that "Well, he didn't play well, but hey, he only cost $15M, so I'm good with this" is ridiculous because the team needs someone under center to play well more than they need to save a few million on a contract.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Suddenly Terrelle Pryor seems like a better fit than Martavis Bryant.............Dalton and McCarron been throwing deep balls up for grabs to AJ Green in practice and games for years..........need a big, physical deep threat. (And no KB is too slow, folks).

You could consider offering a 3rd for Tyrell Williams

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

You and several others are going to be surprised how good our WR's actually are when we have someone actually throw them the ball.

Who will be good for the Bills this year who sucked last year though? lol

Kelvin Benjamin was playing with a torn meniscus

Zay Jones who couldn't catch a ball.

Those guys surely will be better as Benjamin will be healthy and Jones can't be worse

Deonte Thomson over performed if anything.

The only one you can say that was descent who underperformed because the QB was Matthews and he only played like 9 games and won't be on the team next year. And even then his speed was very disappointing. 

Edited by billsfan11

10 minutes ago, 1billsfan said:

They'd be foolish not to include Jackson in special packages to create mismatches especially in close to the end zone.

They would be foolish to include a rookie QB that needs major development with mechanics in anything but QB and delay development 

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

No one thought he was any good?

More like they were risk averse. They’d rather sign a guy with a low ceiling and high floor than risk signing a player with a lower floor but higher ceiling. Personlly, I like this move as it doesn’t put all the Bills’ eggs in one draft pick’s basket.

6 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

Nobody is giving out tons of dumb deals. In fact, this team is pretty flush. And again, it's not our money. Spend too much? Go over the cap. Who cares? Literally no one.

Other than disengaging I’m at a loss for how to respond to “just go over the cap”

15 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

The guy making the throws is garbage ? 

WTF man, read for comprehension.   Because I see great WR does not imply I'm saying the QB is garbage.

14 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

You and several others are going to be surprised how good our WR's actually are when we have someone actually throw them the ball.

I would like to be surprised, but I don't think we have guys in the same class as Green, Sanu etc. 

13 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

Other than Green the other WRs are a dime a dozen.

Atlanta disagrees with you on Sanu and he looks a bit special for them.  Marvin Jones looking pretty good in Detroit.   AJ Green or Julio Jones, no, but "dime a dozen", GREAT - guy find me a dozen just like that hell settle for 2.  Jury may be more out on Eifert, injuries have hampered him I think.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

You see clueless, I see fans who literally will determine how much they like a player based, in part, on how much the team paid for him.

There is only one thing that will determine if McCarron was a good hire: if he plays well. To suggest that "Well, he didn't play well, but hey, he only cost $15M, so I'm good with this" is ridiculous because the team needs someone under center to play well more than they need to save a few million on a contract.

You can judge a GM's acumen based on the amount of capital (salary, draft picks) he gives up to obtain players.  Spending a fortune on a backup QB isn't always a smart move.