Linebacker

1 minute ago, White Linen said:

IMO, this would be a last resort and I don't think he lasts long enough to be a last resort.  I just don't think he's the type of athlete they want at LB.

I agree, but they don't have anyone other than Milano at the moment, which is why I said a reasonable salary.

1 hour ago, Ittakestime said:

The top guys go fast, and unfortunately, we aren't just looking for depth guys.  You could honestly say we are looking for three starting guys (Milano you can pencil in, but he was a rookie 5th round pick last year).

Guys like Williamson, Bradham, Hitchens, Coyle, and Davis are gone.  There are probably 4 starters left out there (Whitehead, Bowman, Zach Brown and Preston Brown).

And Milano played really well last year.  So what if he's a 5th round pick.  Who cares... We have draft capital that we can spend on linebackers.  Not even worried in the slightest.  I'd rather not overpay for any of those guys.  Don't need big name free agents to fill every need.

13 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

He was, however, our very BEST player on defense in the playoff game. The guy flashed repeatedly. 

Yea Jax was his best game of the year. But that is no coincidence.... they just kept trying to run and so LoRax was moving forwards all day. He is fine going downhill..... it is when he is going backwards or sideways that you have a problem. 

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea Jax was his best game of the year. But that is no coincidence.... they just kept trying to run and so LoRax was moving forwards all day. He is fine going downhill..... it is when he is going backwards or sideways that you have a problem. 

Yeah, he has issues defending passing routes. Ideally he'd be moving forward on those downs. 

16 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

And Milano played really well last year.  So what if he's a 5th round pick.  Who cares... We have draft capital that we can spend on linebackers.  Not even worried in the slightest.  I'd rather not overpay for any of those guys.  Don't need big name free agents to fill every need.

The 5th round pick is more of consistency.  There was a reason he went that late.  We seen very little of Milano.  Relying on him for a full 16 games could expose him a little.

The problem with the draft capital argument in that they may plan to trade up and get rid of most of it.

12 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

The 5th round pick is more of consistency.  There was a reason he went that late.  We seen very little of Milano.  Relying on him for a full 16 games could expose him a little.

The problem with the draft capital argument in that they may plan to trade up and get rid of most of it.

They will still have plenty of picks even if they trade up to 2. 

2 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

Whitehead signing with Oakland.  Really wondering what the heck this team plans on doing.  Praying for Bowman.

I don't pray for anything related to a sports team.  That said, relax.  It is day 2.  Beane is checking out the second tier now.

2 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I don't pray for anything related to a sports team.  That said, relax.  It is day 2.  Beane is checking out the second tier now.

Second tier?  For a D that revolves around LBs, you want career backups there?  Sounds like a great plan.

1 minute ago, Ittakestime said:

Second tier?  For a D that revolves around LBs, you want career backups there?  Sounds like a great plan.

Brown has not signed anywhere yet.  The draft is coming.  Navarro and others are out there.

You don't understand the process.  You don't spend gazillions the first day or two just to spend.  Who do you think they missed out on that would have been such a great addition?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

Brown has not signed anywhere yet.  The draft is coming.  Navarro and others are out there.

You don't understand the process.  You don't spend gazillions the first day or two just to spend.  Who do you think they missed out on that would have been such a great addition?

Whitehead, Williamson, Davis, Bradham, Hitchens, Brown, Coyle all woud have helped this team.

What process?  Stop with this first two day nonsense.  FA has been going on since combine.

In terms of playing time last year, the guys with over 500 snaps left are Preston, Dansby (36 years old), Bostic (Injury history), Derrick Johnson (35 years old), Lawrence Timmons (attitude problems), Bowman.

Not much left.

Marquis Flowers is an interesting guy from the Patriots if you want a young guy with some upside.

Browns just released Jeremy Cash who could be an intersting buy as a depth guy. 

Both are converted safeties. I like Flowers a lot and i bet he is a guy we are in on right now. 

If you want older guys Lawrence Timmons and Brian Cushing could be good depth adds who could start a year if needed. 

36 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

^ Agreed. While I am a P. Brown homer (I understand he is slow and somewhat of a coverage liability) however, we have/had a lot of holes. Playoffs were great but our LB core depth was shallow and play left much to be desired. In fact, aside from M. Milano getting ONE interception and L. Alexander/R. Humber combined generating FOUR (3 from LorAx) total sacks, we literally generated 0 INT and 0 sacks between our LB. That is amazing to me. Knowing that we have so many holes to fill, including a highly drafted QB, it would be in our best interest to pay P. Brown on a 2yr. deal. He knows the D and would provide equally as much in leadership. More than anything, HE ALMOST NEVER MISSES PT. That is something we need desperately after R. Humber, T. Vallejo, and every other depth injury we had at LB. I really really want to add M. Kendricks to rotate at SAM and MIKE w/P. Brown and then draft the WILL that we need. Z. Brown would have been nice again too but P. Brown after the 'first wave' of FA makes too much sense NOT to resign with our terrible depth.

23 minutes ago, ILoveEndingTheSeasonInNov said:

Hey,  calm your asses down....... It just so happens this is a very deep year for 4.3 linebackers in the upcoming draft.  You're welcome. 

Can't have both top 3 QB and a top LB from draft. It will take most of our top 6 picks just to get the QB

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 7:02 PM, Ittakestime said:

McDermott's defense is very much reliant on good LBs.

Is anyone else extremely worried right now that our LB situation is currently:

Alexander, Lorenzo

Lacey, Deon

Milano, Matt

Stanford, Julian

Vallejo, Tanner

At the end of this year, Alexander was talking about bulking up and playing more DE.  I have very little faith in Vallejo (Wasn't a fan of him in college and was hurt a lot in rookie year.  Feel like he is too small).

With all the talk about giving up all these picks to move up, we need to get a move on.

That's not even good college LB corps....yikes.   We need to draft 2 LB's...there's plenty in this draft....Smith, Evans, Edmunds, Van Der Esche, Jefferson, Scales, Jewell....