Rookie Franchise QB

wppete

6 minutes ago, Herb62 said:

Whoever they take I hope they go against the norm ignore the press  and slowly allow the rookie QB to play.  By that I mean let him have a series and if he does well next game or half a drive and as he shows he has it give him more.  You can't play musical QB's BS, everyone knows this guy will be the eventual starter no need to force it or destroy his confidence before he is really ready. 

This is old school thinking.  It was the standard way to develop young qbs before salaries went crazy.  It is a good strategy.

Now for the only opinion that actually matters and that anyone should take seriously.... mine.

Best QBs in this draft in order:

1. Darnold

2. Mayfield

3. Rosen

4. Allen/Jackson tie

Rosen, being ranked 3, is still better than any QB we have seen come out in the last few years, so trading up and getting a top 3 QB this year would be like getting the best player in the draft the last few years. I say trade up somewhere in the 1st 4 picks and grab who is left. Boom!

PS: from a different thread, I preached to everyone how D. Lee from OSU was the most overrated LB I have seen hyped up in some time. So pats on the back are definitely needed. thank you.

• Like (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, wppete said:

We must have the #2 pick overall locked up. Bean and Getleman probably worked something out at the combine. This is the only thing that makes sense or else we are screwed. They must feel with Darnold or Rosen are bigtime franchise guys. 

What other QBs are out there in FA? Nothing really. 

So explain how they "probably worked something out at the combine" yet nothing happened yet??

Or how Buffalo traded with Cincinnati to move up to #12, if the Giants deal had already been worked out?

I swear to Christ people don't even think before coming up with speculation anymore.

14 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

According to a Bills Mafia FB post - RG3 was seen at the Buffalo Airport 3 hours ago.......Kill.  Me.  Now.

I heard we needed a fast janitor.

#1,#2 or #3, all franchise guys. I think the draft will go QB, QB, QB, DE, RB. Baker mayfield is my choice if he is on the board. His fast eyes, anticipation and zip on his ball are the deciding factors. I dont care that he is 6' 1", The man plays Bucket ball out there

list of "Short" QBs who did not fail because of their height

Aaron Rodgers 6'2"

Drew brees 6'0'

Dak Prescott 6'2"

Russel wilson 5' 11"

Case Keenum 6' 1"

Brian hoyer 6' 2"

Tyrod Taylor 6' 1"

Andy Dalton 6' 2"

Ryan Fitzpatrick 6'2"

Teddy Bridgewater 6' 2"

Edited by buffalover4life

21 minutes ago, longtimebillsfan said:

This is old school thinking.  It was the standard way to develop young qbs before salaries went crazy.  It is a good strategy.

Not sure you agree with me or not.  On the salary issue Matt Stafford was the last rookie to get the big bucks.  Now with the rookie salary cap the salaries for rookies are pretty much set and fair.  

5 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

So explain how they "probably worked something out at the combine" yet nothing happened yet??

Or how Buffalo traded with Cincinnati to move up to #12, if the Giants deal had already been worked out?

I swear to Christ people don't even think before coming up with speculation anymore.

From what I have read, but definitely have not confirmed, is that the Bills Brass talked with teams at the top of the draft and inquired about how far back they were willing to move. from this, they new they needed to be around the 12th pick to trade up without selling the farm. That set the machine in motion to talk to all the teams close to the 12th pick who were willing to make a deal... Cincy said they would be our Huckleberry, and we procured that position. Now that the Bills are in a palpable draft spot to trade up, top teams are more willing to wheel and deal.

So if the Giants said they wouldn't trade back any further than the 12th-14th spot, then Buffalo had to find another dance partner before they could swing with the Giants. Maybe the Giants guaranteed the Bills a trade if they were able to do so at the combine. I don't know if that is what happened, but it is not as outrageous as it seems.

again, I have no sources, but there is a possibility that it happened... to what percent of a possibility, I have no idea.  

1 minute ago, MakeBuffaloGreatAgain said:

From what I have read, but definitely have not confirmed, is that the Bills Brass talked with teams at the top of the draft and inquired about how far back they were willing to move. from this, they new they needed to be around the 12th pick to trade up without selling the farm. That set the machine in motion to talk to all the teams close to the 12th pick who were willing to make a deal... Cincy said they would be our Huckleberry, and we procured that position. Now that the Bills are in a palpable draft spot to trade up, top teams are more willing to wheel and deal.

So if the Giants said they wouldn't trade back any further than the 12th-14th spot, then Buffalo had to find another dance partner before they could swing with the Giants. Maybe the Giants guaranteed the Bills a trade if they were able to do so at the combine. I don't know if that is what happened, but it is not as outrageous as it seems.

again, I have no sources, but there is a possibility that it happened... to what percent of a possibility, I have no idea.  

So you're saying we worked a deal with the Giants for #2 that also involved is first trading into the #12-14 slot, and we had to do that without giving up our #22 pick, or any other draft capital?

Jesus Christ you people really reach.

1 hour ago, wppete said:

We must have the #2 pick overall locked up. Bean and Getleman probably worked something out at the combine. This is the only thing that makes sense or else we are screwed. They must feel with Darnold or Rosen are bigtime franchise guys. 

What other QBs are out there in FA? Nothing really. 

I hope so...  it sure looks like it.  I don't think Beane and McDermott would be sitting on their hands like this if they didn't already have a damn good idea what they were doing at QB.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, buffalover4life said:

#1,#2 or #3, all franchise guys. I think the draft will go QB, QB, QB, DE, RB. Baker mayfield is my choice if he is on the board. His fast eyes, anticipation and zip on his ball are the deciding factors. I dont care that he is 6' 1", The man plays Bucket ball out there

list of "Short" QBs who did not fail because of their height

Aaron Rodgers 6'2"

Drew brees 6'0'

Dak Prescott 6'2"

Russel wilson 5' 11"

Case Keenum 6' 1"

Brian hoyer 6' 2"

Tyrod Taylor 6' 1"

Andy Dalton 6' 2"

Ryan Fitzpatrick 6'2"

Teddy Bridgewater 6' 2"

Honestly Rodgers, Brees, and Wilson are the only guys on that list who are successes. The rest I would consider journeymen. I mean I don't want Brian Hoyer with a top Five pick. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
Maybe Prescott too

Just now, SouthNYfan said:

So you're saying we worked a deal with the Giants for #2 that also involved is first trading into the #12-14 slot, and we had to do that without giving up our #22 pick, or any other draft capital?

Jesus Christ you people really reach.

Do you not read entire posts? I am not saying that. It's what I have read. I can't confirm or deny it. I can't even say to what degree it is possible. which is also what I said in my post. I just mentioned that it's not impossible.

If your job depended on finding the right QB for your team, would you not do your due diligence and talk with every team that you may trade up with and see what they expect for their pick? That seems like basic 101 type stuff. Did I mention our 22nd pick or other draft capitol? no. You are putting words in my mouth because you are thin skinned. If you reply and quote me, do it accurately please.

PS: What do you mean by 'You People'?!!?! just kidding, I'm not as thin skinned as others around here. You can use slurs all you want.

4 minutes ago, MakeBuffaloGreatAgain said:

Do you not read entire posts? I am not saying that. It's what I have read. I can't confirm or deny it. I can't even say to what degree it is possible. which is also what I said in my post. I just mentioned that it's not impossible.

If your job depended on finding the right QB for your team, would you not do your due diligence and talk with every team that you may trade up with and see what they expect for their pick? That seems like basic 101 type stuff. Did I mention our 22nd pick or other draft capitol? no. You are putting words in my mouth because you are thin skinned. If you reply and quote me, do it accurately please.

PS: What do you mean by 'You People'?!!?! just kidding, I'm not as thin skinned as others around here. You can use slurs all you want.

LOL.

Got my laughing there.

Yes I read posts.

Whatever you read that person is reaching too.

Why don't you post links to "what you've read"?

It sounds like you're talking out of your @$$

I can say that too

"I've read that the bills worked out a deal to get Aaron Rodgers for a 5th round pick"

See how easy that is to make up stuff?

There are too many moving parts here for them to have worked out a deal like that ahead of time.

That's all I'm saying.

Edited by SouthNYfan

1 minute ago, SouthNYfan said:

LOL.

Got my laughing there.

Yes I read posts.

Whatever you read that person is reaching too.

There are too many moving parts here for them to have worked out a deal like that ahead of time.

That's all I'm saying.

I do think that them having a deal worked out before hand is a stretch. But, they could have talked about what they may consider for trading back. No deals, just a starting point to start making deals. I think we are actually on the same page, kind of. These GMs are talking draft as soon as the season ends, sometimes even before that, and the combine is a great place to really pick the brains of other GMs who are forced to be in the same location for a week. It's basically an unofficial GM convention to discuss team business.

Actually sounds like a fairly plausible scenario - I'd be good w/ it.