Rookie Franchise QB

wppete

We must have the #2 pick overall locked up. Bean and Getleman probably worked something out at the combine. This is the only thing that makes sense or else we are screwed. They must feel with Darnold or Rosen are bigtime franchise guys. 

What other QBs are out there in FA? Nothing really. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, HappyDays said:

If true this means Josh Allen is not the pick. Gotta be Darnold, Rosen, or Mayfield. They can all start right away.

That is why trading for Foles would be foolish in my opinion.  Sign a 3rd tier guy to hold down the fort as a back up and throw the rookie into the fire especially because of the cost of all our draft picks.

2 minutes ago, jpsp3434 said:

That is why trading for Foles would be foolish in my opinion.  Sign a 3rd tier guy to hold down the fort as a back up and throw the rookie into the fire especially because of the cost of all our draft picks.

I've been saying if we trade for Foles we should take Jackson or Rudolph at 22 and use the #12 pick on Roquon Smith (possibly by trading up to 9). I actually like that idea better than trading up to 2 or 3 but I'll be happy either way.

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

I've been saying if we trade for Foles we should take Jackson or Rudolph at 22 and use the #12 pick on Roquon Smith (possibly by trading up to 9). I actually like that idea better than trading up to 2 or 3 but I'll be happy either way.

I wouldn't hate this. 

Just now, HappyDays said:

I would love Smith.  I agree with what your saying.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

There was too much good feeling about this front office. We need something bad to restore balance to The Force.

Something way outside the box like jerking Tony Romo out of retirement and riding that broken pony until he drops.

Yup

11 minutes ago, wppete said:

We must have the #2 pick overall locked up. Bean and Getleman probably worked something out at the combine. This is the only thing that makes sense or else we are screwed. They must feel with Darnold or Rosen are bigtime franchise guys. 

Lamar Jackson is possibly the best or second best QB prospect in this class IMO. Just because the four most talked about QBs are set in stone (with regards to the national media), doesn't mean that they are right. Don't be surprised if the Bills are very high on Jackson and see him as this year's DeShaun Watson (which everyone seems to be either picking apart or ignoring). 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, wppete said:

I agree.  This seems to be the only scenario where everything they have done ,  the collecting of draft choices, the cordy draft choice move-up, and  most importantly leaving themselves exposed at this point with NO qb and seemingly making no effort to pick up a FA,  makes sense.   Foles could fit with these moves also, but only if you had a deal with philly worked out before trading TT, which I doubt. Possible, but if they did, it could be announced already, and hasn't been.  

• Like (+1) 1

Whoever they take I hope they go against the norm ignore the press  and slowly allow the rookie QB to play.  By that I mean let him have a series and if he does well next game or half a drive and as he shows he has it give him more.  You can't play musical QB's BS, everyone knows this guy will be the eventual starter no need to force it or destroy his confidence before he is really ready. 

20 minutes ago, wppete said:

THANK GOD you brought this up!!!  I was wondering when someone would finally mention the QBs in the draft, trading up, and the FA market. Good job, OP. 

I don't buy a deal was locked up at the combine, unless Gettleman told Beane "you need to move up into the early teens and we've got a deal".

The thing that angers me about not signing a vet FA option is it tanks leverage.  It's one thing if we were to sign a Bridgewater / McCarron / Bradford etc and still shop to move up in the draft.  Then we could semi-credibly tell teams "we aren't going to be destroyed on a trade, worst case we'll start this guy and take all the depth from our draft picks."  It's something else when our options are Nathan Peterman and whoever might be available at 12 in the draft.  I really want to hope we've got a deal in place for something, because watching any credible option sign elsewhere under the assumption we have enough ammo to move up without an agreement in place leaves us very open to be called on a bluff.

• Like (+1) 1