Sal says UFA QB's was not the Bills plan

10 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Just because they didn't make any offers doesn't mean they were talking to agents about the players.  They very well could have been pursuing players but other deals were already getting ironed out.

You are correct!  People think that just because you didn't enter contract talks with someone you weren't interested.  Sometimes the agent might say something up front  like my client is only interested in signing with 3 teams and your team is not one of them.  It doesn't mean you were not interested.  

3 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

The Bills did their due diligence and surely extended feelers to every FA QB on the market.

Like anything else, the answer probably lies more in the middle.  They may have not been in our plans at their asking prices or we might not have been in their plans as a locale.  Probably both.

Agreed.

Like I said: if there's any QB out there that's looking for a chance to start, we aren't at the top of the list; we are the list.

Well that seemed pretty obvious based on moving up.

Ever since we acquired all those draft picks in last year's draft and then over the summer, I figured the Bills were destined to trade up for a QB in this draft.  That was my initial feeling when it all happened.  Of course, I second-guessed that and third-guessed it and 27th-guessed it, but ultimately, it's obvious Buffalo is going up to draft Mayfield/Darnold/Rosen.

Just say NO to Allen!!!

Edited by transplantbillsfan

And if there's no trade for a vet, then it's a reckless strategy regardless of what they do in the draft.  You don't go into the season with Peterman, draft pick and a Matt Moore.

• Like (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, baskingridgebillsfan said:

the least they could have done was to tell me so I wasn't refreshing my computer compulsively 

The Buffalo Bills would like to appologize and will reimburse your claim for a F5 replacement key. Thank you for your continued patronage

1263396694326.jpg

23 minutes ago, Doc said:

Good.  None of the FA QB's were worth signing.

But if we were to have signed one then that was the right one and we did good.

55 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Just because they didn't make any offers doesn't mean they were talking to agents about the players.  They very well could have been pursuing players but other deals were already getting ironed out.

I'm sure they were talking to agents, and apparently found that the asking price had blown past their price point.  $15M guaranteed $20M for 1 yr of Sam Bradford?  EEEEeeeeK!

52 minutes ago, GG said:

And if there's no trade for a vet, then it's a reckless strategy regardless of what they do in the draft.  You don't go into the season with Peterman, draft pick and a Matt Moore.

They're not reckless, so I think something is bound to happen. We shall see soon enough!

17 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm sure they were talking to agents, and apparently found that the asking price had blown past their price point.  $15M guaranteed $20M for 1 yr of Sam Bradford?  EEEEeeeeK!

That's not bad price at all  for a starting qb. The cap has gone way up, and many teams have plenty of space. More importantly,  it's the most important position on the team by far. The Bills aren't holding back because of price. Something else is going on. 

• Like (+1) 1

Why is it reckless? The worst that happens if the rookie sucks, Peterman comes in and throws a slew of interceptions, and/or we have to suffer watching Moore - is that they go 0-16 and we get the #1 draft pick at next years draft... Works for me...

1 minute ago, DefenseWins said:

Why is it reckless? The worst that happens if the rookie sucks, Peterman comes in and throws a slew of interceptions, and/or we have to suffer watching Moore - is that they go 0-16 and we get the #1 draft pick at next years draft... Works for me...

Losing is no way to live. It merely breeds more losing. The object is to improve upon 9-7.

• Like (+1) 3

One of the talking heads on NFLN said that now that the musical chairs at QB are over the Bills are sitting pretty for the second tier guys that want a chance to start.

He said Beane will sit back and bring in a few of them for a chat.

BTW he also said the Bills were in on Bradford until the price got ridiculous. 

1 hour ago, BuffaloBill said:

OK so they are obviously targeting one or two guys in the draft.

IMO, I think this might be the possible order of the Bills thinking...

Plan A: Rosen (moving up)

Plan B: Jackson (staying put)

Plan C: Foles (all 1st rd QBs gone, couldn't get a trade done situation)

I think Darnold is going #1, Allen is too much of a project and Mayfield is possibly off their board because his amped up, in your face, personality is too much.

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Key words are "who have signed".  They could still be after lower priced options who are still on the market.

Actually the key words are “ was never the plan going into the week.”