Why not Andrew Luck? The Colts are in a great position.

28 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Yep.  It seems one of these let's trade for Luck threads pops up every couple of days. 

HotPleasantCobra-size_restricted.gif

Tipster's special power seems to be posting redundant threads a few days after they have been posted by others...

Check out his Cutler piece. 

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You seem to be an earnest poster who is not just trying to stir sh** so I'll give you a little more answer from the Colts perspective

1) the Colts would NOT free much cap space by trading Andrew Luck at this time.  They would take on an accelerated cap hit of $19.2M dollars and save ony $5.2M, which, if you've looked at the QB FA market, is not quite enough to buy a bag of slightly used QB Cheetos.

2) Andrew Luck was (and if his shoulder heals, is) a true generational QB talent.  He is one of the 4-5 QB in the league who can actually carry a team.  If you want to actually understand how he is different from this year's crop of good QB prospects, read Andrew Luck's draft profile.  Now read Sam Darnolds and Josh Rosen's profiles.  See the differences?  If there is any chance Luck can recover, you do not give that up on the 50/50 chance that whoever is left at #3 will become a good QB.

From a reputational standpoint, the Colts GM has nothing to gain and plenty to lose by making this trade - the best thing that could happen is that Luck is never himself again for the new team, and the new guy is able to play capably in the NFL, in which case they'd look smart except to the team they fleece.  The worst thing that could happen is that Luck recovers and plays well, the draftee flames out like roughly half of the top 5 picks do, and they look like fools.

See my other post to you.

They would save 5 in ‘18, but 14, 22, and 21 in the subsequent 3 years. They would acquire a couple more picks in this and possible next years draft. 

I think it’s possible and that the colts would be smart to consider it.  

As an aside, I do sincerely appreciate the well thought out response. Reason I don’t come to the board very often anymore is how infested it’s become with snark, etc...

31 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I respectfully disagree.  Luck, if healthy, is a far better QB than Foles has proven to be.

Foles had one great season, lost his job and was a backup came in and struggled at the end of 2017 regular season and then got hot in the playoffs.  I would say the odds are that going forward Foles will play more like the backup that he's been for most of his career instead of the guy who had a miracle season and a 3 game hot streak at a very opportune time.

Correction - one good game - one bad 1/2 game, one mediocre game and 2 lights out games.........that being said - Foles can stay right where he is IMO. 

29 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You seem to be an earnest poster who is not just trying to stir sh** so I'll give you a little more answer from the Colts perspective

1) the Colts would NOT free much cap space by trading Andrew Luck at this time.  They would take on an accelerated cap hit of $19.2M dollars and save ony $5.2M, which, if you've looked at the QB FA market, is not quite enough to buy a bag of slightly used QB Cheetos.

2) Andrew Luck was (and if his shoulder heals, is) a true generational QB talent.  He is one of the 4-5 QB in the league who can actually carry a team.  If you want to actually understand how he is different from this year's crop of good QB prospects, read Andrew Luck's draft profile.  Now read Sam Darnolds and Josh Rosen's profiles.  See the differences?  If there is any chance Luck can recover, you do not give that up on the 50/50 chance that whoever is left at #3 will become a good QB.

From a reputational standpoint, the Colts GM has nothing to gain and plenty to lose by making this trade - the best thing that could happen is that Luck is never himself again for the new team, and the new guy is able to play capably in the NFL, in which case they'd look smart except to the team they fleece.  The worst thing that could happen is that Luck recovers and plays well, the draftee flames out like roughly half of the top 5 picks do, and they look like fools.  You know, worse than how San Diego did when Brees turned all-world in N'Orleans, even WITH Rivers becoming a very talented QB?  Replace Rivers with Trent Edwards and that's how it could go.

See my other post to you.

Caveat: I don't think this trade happens for a host of reasons. But you're leaving out one potential factor: the possibility of a completely broken relationship between Luck and team management, including the owner. There have been signs that their relationship has nosedived despite the fact that they're saying the right things now. My hunch is that Luck doesn't trust Irsay and is suspicious of what is in truth has been a terrible organization for years. They may get better with a new gm/coach, but the damage may be done.

1 hour ago, Tipster19 said:

The more time that passes and the Bills don’t do anything to address the QB position the more it convinces me that they definitely have a plan in place. I mean who gets rid of their starting QB and not have one in place?? Before anyone suggests that whatever rookie that is suppose to be taken in the draft, none of them are projected to be NFL ready right out of the gate. Is Peterman suppose to start?? I think not. Are the remaining FA QBs the answer? I would think not because that would be like writing off the season even before the season starts. Trading for Foles wouldn’t be hateful, maybe that’s the plan but looking at where the Colts are at in the draft (#3 overall pick) and all the draft capital that we have why couldn’t we make a run at Luck? Between last year’s publicity (team propaganda) and having a lunatic owner in Irsay I would say that anything is possible. Already having the #3 pick overall and all the prime draft picks that we could provide, the Colts would sure be able to address a lot of their team’s weaknesses. So far McBeane has shown they are not at all intimidated by making big decisions. 

Lucks' recent rehab setback has me worried.  But, if they get Luck, they can draft Falk or White later on in the daft to have a Luck/rookie/Peterman combo.  That's not bad at all.  And if Luck returns to form, we are set at QB. 

I'm not picky when it comes to certain positions (such as linebacker), but when it comes to Qb's I absolute insist they have at least two fully functional arms.

I guess I could compromise and lessen my insistence to at least having a functional dominant/throwing arm. 

1 hour ago, dubs said:

I actually agree with much of this. From the Colts perspective, it’s actually an optimal time to do this. They can free the cap space, grab a new franchise QB on rookie pay scale, rid themselves of any shoulder concerns, and pick up a couple draft picks to fill more holes. 

From the Bills perspective, they keep more of their draft picks than if they were trading up to top 3 and can handle the cap hit. And get a proven commodity. 

I actually think the price to make this happen wouldn’t be too expensive and a huge win win for both teams. 

As these scenarios go it’s one of the more practical. If they love a young guy and are worried about either the shoulder or relationship it’s a good chance to make a move that might make sense for both sides

4 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I'm not picky when it comes to certain positions (such as linebacker), but when it comes to Qb's I absolute insist they have at least two fully functional arms.

I guess I could compromise and lessen my insistence to at least having a functional dominant/throwing arm. 

The flip side is do you end up like the saints of the last decade by picking up a young qb that’s shown capable but is in a unique situation (both injury and ability to replace with a high pick).

its a risk but you almost never acquire a slam dunk qb

46 minutes ago, Tipster19 said:

That wasn’t very nice.

Tipster: You've been here for a long time and I want to be open about this. These types of threads have little value because there's nothing closely resembling facts to present here.

Others have already outlined the financial ramifications to the team and of course, it would require Indianapolis to use that pick on another QB to replace Luck.

Sometimes I think TBD is becoming Twitter with all these out there theories without any real reporting about who's getting traded and why it makes sense. It doesn't make any sense, neither for the Bills nor the Colts.

The smart play for the Colts is to draft a QB at 3, and wait to see if Luck can recover his form.

If Luck does, then you have the option of trading either Luck or the new QB for picks next year. If Luck cannot regain his form, then you've got a quality successor in hand to build around, without having to waste a season or scramble to overpay for a replacement.

9 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Tipster: You've been here for a long time and I want to be open about this. These types of threads have little value because there's nothing closely resembling facts to present here.

Others have already outlined the financial ramifications to the team and of course, it would require Indianapolis to use that pick on another QB to replace Luck.

Sometimes I think TBD is becoming Twitter with all these out there theories without any real reporting about who's getting traded and why it makes sense. It doesn't make any sense, neither for the Bills nor the Colts.

I strongly disagree with this statement. 

As as I outlined earlier, there are lots of reasons this makes sense for both parties. 

The biggest hurdles, in my opinion, would be:

- fear factor: Ballard being second guessed

- do the Colts love a QB coming out that they think they can get (say Mayfield)

- trade terms

21 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

That's not really fair. As I understand it, the scenario is that the Bills get Luck and Reich gets Foles. I'm not saying that trade makes perfect sense for Indy, and I don't expect it to happen. That said, I do believe that all is not right in the relationship between Luck and the franchise, and the changes they just made might not be enough; it may be beyond fixability at this point. The other thing I go back to is McDaniel backing out. Why would he do that? It could be duplicity and/or second thoughts, but perhaps he learned something about Luck not being there for long because he's demanding to get out of there. My guess is that Luck is perfectly fine (it's a common enough injury) and I wonder if he's playing a game with the franchise to force his way out. I guarantee you that he's unhappy with how things went down there in the last couple of years. 

P.S. I also think that the franchise is unhappy with Luck's will-he-or-won't-he status for the first half of last season. His absence and the haziness surrounding his injury cost a bunch of people their jobs. There could well be bad blood on the other end too. Bear in mind that elite qbs can do this. Palmer forced his way out of Cincy because he despised the organization.

Edited by dave mcbride

1 hour ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Reich would probably be just as happy with Foles as Luck.  

Foles and drafting a QB 3rd. Buffalo's 12 pick and 1st next year, a 2nd and 3rd for Luck allows Indy to get Foles too. Saying this though means just as likely we get their 3rd pick if any of this gets discussed. I would rather not risk the picks but if it lands Luck, things get interesting. If Buffalo can get there QB and still have a 1st, 2nd and 3rd I am game, any more than that NO WAY! Not worried about next years picks with all that Free agent money available.

Edited by USABuffaloFan

39 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

The smart play for the Colts is to draft a QB at 3, and wait to see if Luck can recover his form.

If Luck does, then you have the option of trading either Luck or the new QB for picks next year. If Luck cannot regain his form, then you've got a quality successor in hand to build around, without having to waste a season or scramble to overpay for a replacement.

This, unless they are confident Luck will be back in which case use pick #3 to put more pieces around him and take a QB later.

• Like (+1) 1