Bad pass % means bad player don't get?

Tom Brady both years starting at Michigan was around 61%

Jim Kelly 42%, 52%, 58% and played part year 62%

Joe Montana best year 54%

Peyton Manning last year was 60%

John Elway finished college at 64% but had 2 years in the 50% range

Dan Marino best year 58%

Brett Farve best year 54%

If your an Fast QB, then your more run first type QB than a thrower.

Cam Newton ran a 4.69. Guess he cant throw huh?

Wilson ran a 4.63 but he cant throw.. oh wait he can!

(now I no the pickings are slim with fast QB's but that doesn't mean they are run first QB's like tyrod that cant throw an accurate pass)

The list goes on of stupid reasons why a QB wont be good in the NFL but this one takes the cake

Lets look at all the stats.. all the information we have on the top 5 QB's coming out of college instead of focusing on one stupid stat

I wouldn't draft a QB this day in age that doesn;t have a 60% average. you can do what you choose to I would not.. Much different era of Football then the Kelly Montana days

As for running QB's I would revert back to the Pass % did this QB hold close to a 60% average completion %. If no then definitively not drafting in the 1st day of the draft and probably not the the 2nd day either. You can do what you like I would not

15 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Time for you guys to do some Fact Checks

Dan Marino best year 58%

If your an Fast QB, then your more run first type QB than a thrower.

Cam Newton ran a 4.69. Guess he cant throw huh?

Wilson ran a 4.63 but he cant throw.. oh wait he can!

(now I no the pickings are slim with fast QB's but that doesn't mean they are run first QB's like tyrod that cant throw an accurate pass)

The list goes on of stupid reasons why a QB wont be good in the NFL but this one takes the cake

Lets look at all the stats.. all the information we have on the top 5 QB's coming out of college instead of focusing on one stupid stat

How about you do some "fact checks"?  Find a QB drafted in the last 15 years, who did not have >60% completions any year in college and has been successful in the NFL

Hint: when were Montana, Elway, Marino, Favre, and Kelly drafted?  What was a good completion percentage in the NFL of that era?  How has the NFL game changed between then and now?  How has the college game changed?

People don't think that fast QB = run first QB.  People think that QB who run a lot in college = run first QB.  Sometimes they're wrong, but when a QB uses his feet to make yards roughly one out of every 3 times he touches the ball, it's understandable where the thought comes from.

I don't believe people are focused on "one stupid stat", and certainly completion percentage is not the same as accuracy, but when a guy has low completion percentage, people look under the hood harder at his mechanics and ball placement.

• Like (+1) 3

49 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Time for you guys to do some Fact Checks

Dan Marino best year 58%

Except for Brady, all of these QBs played their college football more than 20 years ago, and some more than 30 years ago.  Both the college and pro passing games have changed significantly since.

Just now, Batman1876 said:

I agree, thats why I'm shocked that Baker's height gets brought up way more than Allen's accuracy. 

Without doing any research I would imagine shorter qbs overcome their height disadvantage more so than a qb with accuracy issues does at the NFL level.

3 minutes ago, Zebrastripes said:

Without doing any research I would imagine shorter qbs overcome their height disadvantage more so than a qb with accuracy issues does at the NFL level.

Willson and Brees are both franchise QB's under 6'2". The Best qb of the last 15 years with under 60% completions... Tyrod Taylor. 

Your ignoring where QB's who are top prospects that are drafted today in terms of completion percentage. Only Matt Stafford has succeeded as a 1st round QB with a sub 60% passing percentage. Look at any of the top QBs today or recently drafted ones Rodgers, Wentz, Luck, Goff etc.. and they all were above 60%. 2018 NFL is not close to the same passing wise as the 80s-90s.

Second because your referencing Allen with this he actually regressed as a whole in 2017 when typically QBs who stay another year should see a nice bump statistically. Look at his numbers against power 5 schools and it is not encouraging to say the least.

14 minutes ago, Batman1876 said:

Willson and Brees are both franchise QB's under 6'2". The Best qb of the last 15 years with under 60% completions... Tyrod Taylor. 

Also add Aaron Rodgers, Dak Prescott, Case Keenum and you have a decent group of guys that are too short to play QB in the NFL, playing QB in the NFL

Somebody on the Rams board did a pretty in-depth evaluation of QBs and the sub 60% completion rate when the Rams had to choose between Goff and Wentz.  They used examples dating back to 2000.  It was an insightful read.  Looked at a lot of quarterbacks.  The list will underwhelm you.  You'll see a lot of players who couldn't hack it in the NFL have that sub 60% metric in college and those that performed above 60% perform well.  It's definitely food for thought when evaluating talent.  It certainly seems like a fundamental metric.

IMO, a GM drafting a QB with a high pick that can't hit 60% in college ball today is writing his or her own termination letter.  

Edited by dpberr

32 minutes ago, Batman1876 said:

Which QB barrier would you rather the bills break drafting a QB under 6'2" or drafting a QB who never hit the 60% mark? 

easy.  Under 6'2''.  It's worked recently.  (Brees, Vick, Wilson, even Flutie, who was what, 5'9'' in heels).  

19 minutes ago, corta765 said:

Your ignoring where QB's who are top prospects that are drafted today in terms of completion percentage. Only Matt Stafford has succeeded as a 1st round QB with a sub 60% passing percentage.

Matt Stafford's completion % was >60% his Sr year, and trended up all 3 years (53%-56%-61%)

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Matt Stafford's completion % was >60% his Sr year, and trended up all 3 years (53%-56%-61%)

Right he is the sole QB you can reference thats it. AND like you see he trended ^ not down. Allen plateaued with no growth.